WINNT.SIF - Puzzle - Automated From MultiDVD

Before I get flamed.... I've researched every POST and guide on this website and others.... (GOSH, GreenMachine, DaveXP, XPCreate) ...I would appreciate some patience and wholesome assistance.

My Objective:

To create a Multi Boot DVD with XP Pro with three options:

1. Normal Install

2. Unattended Install (From CD/DVD)

3. Unattended Install with Post Installation (From CD/DVD)

I know I am missing something that is assumed. Because the second two options do not work! Both 2&3 selections from the menu, the setup starts, but asks for partioning information & continues as a normal installation (not unattended) I am looking for a complete unattended solution! It is possible? I am using the same source files for all installs (\CD ROOT\SETUP\XP\.....\i386\, but different installation directories for each. (for example...\CD ROOT\PRO2)

Following Flyakite's Guide & the Unattended from MSFN, I've created everything required, the menu options,etc....

From the above, I have menu option 1 going to PRO1.DAT and Pulling the setup from the described directory structure from FlyaKite's guide. It works great.

The second option is where I can't seem to pull it all together. From Menu selection 2 the program chains PRO2.DAT (All the byte corrections verified)

I've placed the following winnt.sif in the \CD ROOT\PRO2 directory. It does not seem to work properly..... The PRO2 is using the SAME source files from the CD/DVD as PRO1. \CD ROOT\SETUP\XP\..... The install runs, but not unattended. Do I need to call the unattended from a batch file or can it run automatically from the PRO2 Directory once the Menu option 2 is selected?

The third Option will work if I can figure out the second option...I just need to change the following in the winnt.sif: ...right?

OemPreinstall=Yes

OemSkipWelcome=0

Add GUIRUNONCE cmd info...

(I know I have to create PRO3 and stuff.... for option three)

WINNT.SIF
===========
;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=1
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=No
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   Repartition=No
   Unattendswitch=Yes
   WaitForReboot=0
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   AutoActivate = No

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword="XXXXXXXX"
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   AutoLogon=Yes
   AutoLogonCount=1
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=35
   OemSkipWelcome=0

[UserData]
   ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
   FullName="Full Name"
   OrgName="Org"
   ComputerName=*

[Display]
   BitsPerPel=16
   Xresolution=800
   YResolution=600

[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode=1
   Dialing=Tone
   LongDistanceAccess="9,"

[RegionalSettings]
   LanguageGroup=1

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

===========

I am using VMWare to test the ISO. For some reason, VPC will not boot a DVD ISO.... My results are tested using VMWare 4 Workstation.

What's Tested so far.......

Ruled Out corruption possibilities.....

I've built the winnt.sif from setupmgr & WINNNSIF utilities. I've copied & used posted winnt.sif I don't think I'm too far off on the winnt.sif.....

(Both were configured as CD setups) I don't want to use a floppy to load the winnt.sif.

Another assumed fact is the proper way to call the unattended.....a question.... What is the "proper" method and placement of the files to call the unattended installation?......From the Bat file created by the setupmgr/WINNTSIF or should it automatically pickup and run from the CD/DVD if placed into the appropriate directory?

Any advice is welcomed .....I'm open for suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure glad Flyakite.MSFN.ORG and Chris Kite is around to save my asterisk!

I would like to thank Chris Kite (FLYAKITE) for taking his time and assistance in answering my email.

CHRIS KITE, YOUR SITE ROCKS!!!!! :)

Another set of unattend files showed up in the OS directories. It over rode the customized winnt.sif

Thanks for the HELP CHRIS!

Perhaps your pro2.dat was pointint to pro1 (yes I know you said you checked, but I've sometiems check and check the wrong file :) ) or perhaps your cdshell.ini file is chaing pro1.dat (again, I"ve dont that as well).

winnt.sif should go in the boot folder your chaining.

If you fixed it, I'm curious how. If not, perhaps say what you;ve changed?

you should have posted in the proper forum. This is dealing with multiboot DVDs, so one would think it would go in the multiboot forum? I've been filling in for flyakite there as he hasn't been around much (atleast posting wise, or I beat him to it :rolleyes: ) and I kno i would have saw this post there.

EDIT:: Edited the post. Happy now?