Instructions: Google Chrome End of Support Vista/XP

sdfox7

On Παρασκευή, 22 Απρίλιος 2016 at 6:02 AM, dencorso said:
On Πέμπτη, 21 Απρίλιος 2016 at 0:23 AM, submix8c said:

And using sdfox7's link to Google for v49 gives v50. Use his "archive" link instead.

Sure. Then again, he did warn people to use his "archive" link instead... :angel

... For WinXP users, permanent links to Google Chrome v49.0.2623.112 (32bit) direct from Google servers;
the download link template is of the form:

<url>/release2/<string>/49.0.2623.112_chrome_installer.exe

where <url> is one of the next four mirrors:

http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl

http://redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl

http://www.google.com/dl

http://dl.google.com

and <string> is:

14okehgrtfipvtyyd9pt7hf7ek7hhs7k47bc481jwgh8fz1ono51hw75dtgcm4j6kkei8h9clijoftygpga0q2kbey0o9n4ec6wd

Uncertain for how long those links will remain live :huh:

Maybe sdfox7 could also back up that file onto his server;
that file has the added benefit of being extractable with WinRAR,
7zip and similar archivers, unlike "ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe" :angry:

On Windows Vista SP2 32bit, Google Chrome 50, though officially unsupported, runs fine;
in all probability, it'll be the last Google Chrome version to run on that OS; v51 (currently
into beta & dev channels) will start up on Vista, but all browser tabs will be empty :angry:

If anyone else on Vista is willing to give it a go, the "filename" for latest 50 version
(currently on the stable channel) is "50.0.2661.87_chrome_installer.exe"; you can use
the download link template posted above for v49, but replace given <string> with:

euxv7s2geeridhk4gou5e0clgqqu7cbf5aaanm7jgzh5ymluyr5jzmqnsjwfttjaq2m795gcgpfshqw8m5mkbh5gvj35jo0rnpi

and, obviously, replace "49" filename with the "50" one...

Currently running v50.0.2661.87 in portable mode (PAF), on Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit:

05hc0UV.jpg

Edited by VistaLover

On 4/22/2016 at 10:02 PM, dencorso said:

Sure. Then again, he did warn people to use his "archive" link instead... :angel

I am not concerned about Chrome 49 being the last version for XP. We all know the rapid-release cycles have become ridiculous, and at this point next year there will be Chrome version 2,017. The functionality of many old browsers is still quite good.

As this thread focuses on Chrome, any version that supports HTML5 should perform reasonably well, which probably includes any version of Chrome >30. Keep in mind that Chrome 34.0.1847 is the final version for non-SSE2 processors (Pentium III, Pentium II, etc). All later versions require Pentium 4 or newer, which contain SSE2 instructions. Not to mention that you may be quite limited on today's web with such an old machine, depending on your desires.

There are many fantastic alternatives to Chrome (like Firefox), and worst case scenario, you could simply spoof the Chrome agent to make it report Chrome 50 (5x). Many websites block you only because of your user agent, not because of any inherent flaw or limitation of the browser.

Edited by sdfox7

That's true...

I still have an old AMD Sempron and two AMD Athlon somewhere at home... Memories... :')

I think it would be pretty hard for CPUs like the AMD Athlon 3200+ to run an application and/or surf the web nowadays. I mean, even the great AMD Athlon 3700+ has just 1 MB of cache l2 and lacks several instruction set.

Edited by FranceBB

On 4/28/2016 at 5:25 PM, FranceBB said:

That's true...

I still have an old AMD Sempron and two AMD Athlon somewhere at home... Memories... :')

I think it would be pretty hard for CPUs like the AMD Athlon 3200+ to run an application and/or surf the web nowadays. I mean, even the great AMD Athlon 3700+ has just 1 MB of cache l2 and lacks several instruction set.

The AMD Athlon 3200+ was released in May 2003, just after the March 2003 launch of my laptop, the ThinkPad T40, which was IBM's flagship and came equipped with the then-new Pentium M.

At that time, the Pentium M was the flagship of the Intel mobile line, and likely the best laptop processor you could probably have at the time.

Compared to the Pentium M, the Athlon 3200+ was missing SSE2 instruction and only had half the L2 cache of the Banias Pentium M; Dothan had not yet been released, until September 2003.

It appears that AMD has been consistently late to the game with forward-thinking/future-proof technology. At least it's been this way in the past.

Edited by sdfox7

@VistaLover Even with x64 (as "installer_win64") will be works on Download binary. [<string>: va5qxmf7d3oalefqdjoubnamxboyf9zt3o6zj33pzo2r3adq2cjea9an8hhc6tje8y4jiieqsruld9oyajv9i6atj40utl3hpl2 - Source of String: cnbeta.com/articles/490591.htm]

Edited by Illutorium

• 2 weeks later...

For now I am simply spoofing the browser to emulate Chrome 50.

Many websites block old browsers for no legitimate reasons, so I used Chrome's built in developer tools to manipulate the string from

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.112 Safari/537.36

to

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36

I'm "running Chrome 50 on Windows XP!"  :lol:

chromeua.jpg

@aikochan... None of what opticork showed us was real; it was just scam and he tried to fool us all. Anyway, we are trying to get something working (for real). To find out more: 

As you will read in that topic, we are proceeding, one step after another, but it's everything but easy.

By spoofing the browser and manually extracting the updated Flash Player ( pepflashplayer.dll ) from Chrome Portable, it is possible to keep Chrome 49 going for a while.

I've already showed above how to spoof the browser with the current version number. To keep flash up to date: when Google announces a new version of Chrome, I simply download the Chrome Portable version and manually extract pepflashplayer.dll. I then copy it to the Chrome directory 

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash

Web standards generally haven't changed all that much, so for now this solution could work for many years. Of course, there's always Firefox, SlimJet, Opera 36.x, Pale Moon, etc.

In Portable Chrome 51 Beta, Flash Player 21.0.0.240 is already available:

chrome51.jpg

Edited by sdfox7

There are several ways to flash player in Chrome to update. About "chrome://components/" (Version: 21.0.0.216), on the other hand from the current Bussines version (Version: 21.0.0.242). What irritates me the apparently Google itself does not know about it much version currently !? :realmad:

:)

16 hours ago, heinoganda said:

There are several ways to flash player in Chrome to update. About "chrome://components/" (Version: 21.0.0.216), on the other hand from the current Bussines version (Version: 21.0.0.242). What irritates me the apparently Google itself does not know about it much version currently !? :realmad:

:)

Devs gone mad. Who want to end support of XP (One of the most used os) surely they are mad.

• 2 weeks later...