Instructions: Google Chrome End of Support Vista/XP

sdfox7

I won't be losing sleep over it, because it appears that websites fall back to those two standards.

You needn't. I do. All the main Brazilian content providers switched to H.264 and do not fall back to anything. CNN, Newsweek and YouTube do work. Perhaps that's why I noticed it and I'm actively trying to solve it.

I won't be losing sleep over it, because it appears that websites fall back to those two standards.

You needn't. I do. All the main Brazilian content providers switched to H.264 and do not fall back to anything. CNN, Newsweek and YouTube do work. Perhaps that's why I noticed it and I'm actively trying to solve it.

My solution would be to continue to run Chrome for the websites that require it.

Even if Chrome development on XP ends now, it will likely be years before it becomes unusable.

True enough. Unless I find a way to get rid of Chrome (not because it's dropping support of XP, but because I utterly dislike it) and play H.264 on FF and/or PM, that's precisely what I'll do. But I suspect maybe QuickTime 7.7.7 or something like that may actually let me get rid of Chrome once and for all. Let's see.

True enough. Unless I find a way to get rid of Chrome (not because it's dropping support of XP, but because I utterly dislike it) and play H.264 on FF and/or PM, that's precisely what I'll do. But I suspect maybe QuickTime 7.7.7 or something like that may actually let me get rid of Chrome once and for all. Let's see.

If you continue to use Chrome, please make sure you update your pepflashplayer.dll on a regular basis. Flash Player is a serious vulnerability on any operating system. As Google will no longer be distributing new updates, the only way to get an updated Flash Player is by updating this file in the system's Google Chrome application folder.

Whenever Adobe releases a new version, I upload it to my directories. Since Chrome runs on XP SP2 and XP SP3, you can find it in either of the following three directories (the current version is 20.0.0.286):

hxxp://sdfox7.com/pepperflash/pepflashplayer.dllhxxp://sdfox7.com/xp/sp2/pepperflash/pepflashplayer.dllhxxp://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/pepperflash/pepflashplayer.dll

Place it in your C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\48.0.2564.97\PepperFlash folder. When it asks you to replace the existing file, click YES.

Naturally the version number in the path above will change, depending on what version Chrome is at when Google drops XP supports, but you get the idea.

Since I have never used Google Chrome, I don't completely understand everything being discussed here. I'm using a version of K-Meleon that is not well known, v1.8 ... it doesn't play the H.264/MP4 test page video but does play the WebM and Ogg/Theora videos.

I just throw this in for viewing YouTube videos if all options run out one day ... as a backup.

Have used it for several years and while the videos have to be downloaded, they can be easily saved if one wants to. I only use the portable version and then the K-Lite Codec Pack (Full) with Media Player Classic included seems to play all videos.

It's not as convient as having a browser ready to play any type of video ... but it may be the future with XP one day.

Youtube Downloader HD

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/download.html

Youtube Downloader HD - Portable Version

Version 2.9.9.27 Free. 10 MB. Without installer. Standalone exe file.

For Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8/10

K-Lite Codec Pack 11.9

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

Updated: 29 Jan 2016

K-Lite Codec Pack is a comprehensive selection of codecs which guarantees that you will be able to play almost any video or audio file.

It offers support for 32-bit and 64-bit codecs and it works irreproachably.

You will be amazed by the complexity and the configuration options of these applications starting with installation process, when you have the possibility to choose the settings for each and every codec.

If you are a basic user, avoid the advanced mode and trust the program’s default options. In the end you will be able to play media files without any inconveniences.

Whenever and wherever you need a complete codec, you can use K-Lite Codec Pack.

I am Using Firefox , vivaldi and uc browser.

please Try UC Browser , it is based on cromium. It works great on my horrible slow internet connection.

Vivaldi is under devlopement but really it can beat crome.

market share

Windows XP 10.93%

Windows 8.1 10.30%

Windows 10 9.96%

Mac OS X 10.11 2.99%

XP IS NOT SHOWING ANY SIGNE OF DEAD. GOOGLE SHOULD SUPPORT WORLDS SECOND MOST USED OS.

Edited by Dibya

Although use even Chrome, but now in a test of FF 43.0.1 on Youtube the videos were HTML5, played without additional plug-ins, in FullHD. For this reason, I'm first worry no more, then they should leave the Chrome support for the XP users die.

Again a few Chrome users less.

:)

• 2 months later...
On Σάββατο, 30 Ιανουάριος 2016 at 5:43 AM, dencorso said:

Did you try it yourself? Can you play H.264 on FF + XP SP3 ?  Are you sure?

Try this test: Scroll down. Can you play the video marked "H.264/MP4" ? Really?

Hello dencorso :)
If you have latest (release channel) version of Mozilla Firefox (45.0.1),
then please make sure you have the latest vesion of
Adobe Primetime HTML5 Content Decryption Module
installed inside Extensions -> Plugins.

On systems which lack the native OS resources (XP, Vista without Platform Update Supplement) 
to play back patented H264+AAC, the CDM is being used as a fallback mechanism to 
play back un-encrypted (H264+AAC) MP4s (or audio M4As) delivered over HTML5.
The main caveat is that Hardware Acceleration (GPU) can't be used with the CDM,
only software one (CPU) ...

HTH

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

If you have latest (release channel) version of Mozilla Firefox (45.0.1),
then please make sure you have the latest vesion of
Adobe Primetime HTML5 Content Decryption Module
installed inside Extensions -> Plugins.

On systems which lack the native OS resources (XP, Vista without Platform Update Supplement) ...

Well, thanks for your interest! :yes:

However this page says: Supported platforms: Adobe Primetime is available on Windows Vista/7/8/10 for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Firefox. Mac OS X, Linux and Windows XP are currently not supported. So, I cannot avoid asking: are you sure it works for XP? :dubbio:

On 4/9/2016 at 0:34 AM, sdfox7 said:

It looks like Google has finally added a new function to get rid of the warning info, a new SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning policy setting.

Issue 1834783003: Added the SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning policy setting.

On 4/9/2016 at 2:32 AM, 5eraph said:

How do we use it, sdfox7?  I don't see it under chrome://policy.

In answer to my own question, the SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning was added for Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112, which I did not have installed at that moment.  Changing the policy setting can't be done from within the browser.  Nor could I do it with registry settings, despite online instructions given to do just that.

It was necessary to download the ZIP file of policy templates from chromium.org.  This being my first time playing with system policies, I found the experience a bit confusing at first.  The relevant template needed is "windows\adm\en-US\chrome.adm" in the ZIP file.  To add it in XP, run "gpedit.msc" in a Run box, then right-click "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates" and select "Add/Remove templates..."  Press the Add button and navigate to the "chrome.adm" file given above.

Once added, expand the new "Google\Google Chrome" template then scroll down to find, "Suppress the unsupported OS warning."  It may be necessary to click the top of the Settings column to arrange everything in alphabetical order.  Double-click the setting, click Enable, then OK.

Once Google Chrome has been restarted, the warning should no longer appear.