Microsoft is making my life miserable!

Roffen

I will soon be 86 and microsoft is doing its best to make my last days on Earth a miserable hell.

I have two legal coopies of Windows XpSp3 and I expect to have the rigt to install and reinstall the two systems as often as I like on my two computers. I also want to have the right to replace and/or chose between the motherboards I have or may chose to buy, without any interference from Microsoft.

Their last ploy is to demand that I call them, report seven 6-character code groups in order to get a code I can use before I can install my the system.

WTF is that all about? It is about getting rid of as many XP systems as they possibly can, with no regard for the rights of the users.

Right now I was aiming at creating a workable master copy that I could clone and use for all future reinstallations. But MS desnn't want that. Well, I have a verson running on this machine but I guess I'll have to hurry up, be smart and make a workable clone ASAP before MS tighten that hole.

In the meantime I better stick to Win7 until I have got my safety scheme in place and verified.

AS far as I can tell they must have usurped my computers, I run into the same problem also when offline.

Are there no restrictions on what MS are allowed to do?

I better get offline now, and reboot Win7.

You're not alone!

Then again, you do have the right to reinstall your authentic XPs whenever you want, but If you do that often enough, you then have to phone in to activate. That's not new, it's like that since the XP activation scheme was started. Of course, they may redefine what "often enough" means and get away with it. But, rest assured, if you create clone backups of each machine, you'll be running XP for a long time ahead. MS is getting more and more intrusive, but it still is a long way from becoming the "big brother" they want to be, except for those unhappy people who own nothing but Windows 10, which, BTW, amounts to owning nothing at all. That's not your case (nor is it mine), at least for the time being.

AFAICR, there's a file on any given XP system that *if* you back it up and for *that* PC somewher off the computer(s) when you Reinstall the Activation is restored without calling again.

Read these carefully.

The MS one expains what happens and why/how/under-what-condtions requiring reactivate.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/305356

If you follow the above rules, this one explains how to retain activation.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/Miscellaneous/BackupRestoreXPActivation.html

Note that the first one is talking of Hardware Changes. Exceed them and you *will* have to re-activate. However, if the hardware does *not* change for *that PC and it's corresponding file* then the second one will avoid that nasty reactivate call.

Here's the process to Activate By Phone. (Then perform the second link's instructions/)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-xp/wxpactiv.html

HTH