In-place upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium

Sophy

OK, while submix8c tests the upgrade procedure I'll look for the drivers. But, for that, I need the info on the Service Tag of your machine. So, watch this video <link> at the Dell site to learn how to find the Service Tag, then send me the info on the tag by PM, please. In fact, I dont need the serial number, just the exact model to be able to hunt for the right drivers.

OK, Sophy, I'm back.

You can get that "internal" Product via a KeyFinder (e.g. Magic Jellybean) but that's only for your current Visat and is *not* the one on your COA. In addition, there's a "special file" in one of the folders (usually) that goes along *with* that Internal Product Key. Please note that the Internal Key is for when Dell (and other OEM's) Mass-Roll Out the PC's and are tied to something called "SLP 2.0" aka "SLIC 2.0" and allow for pre-activation for THAT VENDOR AND PC SERIES ONLY. This combination doesn't cause "Genuine" until you actually goes to Windows Update. That's the "Validation" part. This I attempted to explain earlier.

Now, as to the link you gave -IGNORE IT-!!! That's for a Clean Install.

On to the meat-and-potatos (or potatoes :w00t: ).

I've done a preliminary test as follows.

1- Clean Install (as your link gave and I explained earlier about "nothing on HDD (e.g. "new")"

(note1 - I "cleaned" the 512byte MBR area to make my test disk "appear" to be "new")

(note2 - used Vista RTM Business since that was the Upgrade Path to my Windows 7 Professional OEM Refurb)

(note3 - I allowed it to use Default Product Key 30-day Activate - not one that can be Activated since Generic)

2- During Clean Install, I "skipped" entering Product Key (to use Generic) -and- un-checked "Activate After Install"(?)

3- Since Win7 Upgrade requires Vista SP1, I installed it after I *finally* got to the Desktop

4- Popped in the Windows7 Pro OEM (Refurb) DVD and ran "Update"

5- After many reboots, it finally came to a final "Enter Product Key" and "Activate after finished" (or some such) which I unticked -and- clicked "Skip" (sam as the Vista Clean Install)

At this point, I'm at my Desktop all updated but with a brand new "default key" (the corresponding Windows 7 Pro one).

This is where you would go to "Control Panel->System". In the lower right, there's a "Change Product Key" that you would click on and enter that (hopefully) valid Product Key you receive. My Test says "You have 3 days to Activate". (WOOPS!) So that key *better* be a good one -and- able to Activate.

I can probably do another scenario with the Dell Recovery (Home Premium) but I wanted to prove that my Pro DVD would work, since it *appears* to be similar to what you'll receive. (note- Mine is SP1u, not SP1, so therein may be the slight difference in appearance).

If you wish, I'll construct such a scenario to do final proof of *your* specific setup (don't ask, and yes I have the tools, because I yam geek like others here). Please hold tight and I'll attempt to do that tomorrow.

Meanwhile, you may want to prepare a *real good* backup of your current setup.

Side notes -

The Upgrade, since it *was* an upgrade, didn't allow for the "System Reserved" partition usually created with a Clean Install of Win7 HomePremium/Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise (and ignore Enterprise, since it's exclusively a Volume License thing).

Looks like you *may* be good to go, with a valid key that will activate and be genuine. That's the most important part.

Again, Rule #1, backup, backup, backup. Do that at first opportunity. :yes:

See you tomorrow (hopefully). And (again) FORGET Clean Install.

The down side is it takes a looong time and many reboots. :}

HTH and L8tr. ;)

Can I go with a clean install afterall? I've read in several places now that you are way better off going that way. It means I would have to reinstall programs but I do have a record of all my license keys, and one thing I have is time.

I'm really lost about this product key business. There is a tag on my hard drive with a 25-digit product key on it. I ran Belarc Advisor today and it lists a 25-digit product key for my operating system that is completely different from that one on the tag, and it also gives a 20-digit number with OEM in it. So I still don't know what I would insert when/if asked for a product key. If I did a clean install would I still need that Vista number?

I THINK I should have a complete backup of my hard drive but I'm checking with Genie to make sure I have what I think I have. 

It looks to me like if I go with upgrade I will need pertinent Windows 7 drivers; but if I go with a clean install it will automatically search for needed drivers as part of the install. Is that correct?

We are having a house full of company tomorrow so I don't know when or if I'll be able to get on here.

I downloaded and ran Enchanted Keyfinder and information matches what Belarc found so I don't understand why the info on that tag it came with is different. Beside that 20-digit OEM number is says "Match to CD Key Data."

P.S. I feel bad that I forgot to thank you for all that you have done for me. You have helped me so much already and hope you don't give up on me since I've decided to change to a clean install. But I want you to know that no matter what happens, I don't take all the help you've offered me for grantid. I appreciate it more than I can say.

Edited by Sophy

OK, while submix8c tests the upgrade procedure I'll look for the drivers. But, for that, I need the info on the Service Tag of your machine. So, watch this video <link> at the Dell site to learn how to find the Service Tag, then send me the info on the tag by PM, please. In fact, I dont need the serial number, just the exact model to be able to hunt for the right drivers.

I've got the service code (8XQ45D1) and when I go to Dell it says this is a Dimension 9200. My owner's manual says XPS 410. 

Sophy:

If you are interested, I posted instructions with pictures today in the Windows XP forum, on how to disable the nag screen:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175099-instructions-google-chrome-end-of-support-vistaxp/

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend you dump Google Chrome and use Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or any of the countless others that still support XP and Vista.

It is rather strange for Google to drop Vista support even though Microsoft is still releasing security updates for at least another year!

Well, it seems the latest XPS 410 use the same hardware of the Dimension 9200... I'd rather believe in the Dell identification of the Service Code than on the manual. But I've been to Dell's site and I think the Card Reader driver offered should work on 7, in case it doesn't have the apropriate drivers natively. And if their nVidia GeForce 7300 LE 128 driver perchance refusers to install, a newer reference driver from nVidia certainly will work OK. It seems to me you won't have to worry about drivers, after all. The Logitech mouse too, in case you still use the mouse that came originally with the PC, and if needed on 7, may benefit from a a newer reference driver from Logitech.

Sophy:

If you are interested, I posted instructions with pictures today in the Windows XP forum, on how to disable the nag screen:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175099-instructions-google-chrome-end-of-support-vistaxp/

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend you dump Google Chrome and use Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or any of the countless others that still support XP and Vista.

It is rather strange for Google to drop Vista support even though Microsoft is still releasing security updates for at least another year!

Yes, I am interested and I thank you very much!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I just did this and oh how nice not to have to worry about that irritating bar popping up anymore.

Edited by Sophy

Well, it seems the latest XPS 410 use the same hardware of the Dimension 9200... I'd rather believe in the Dell identification of the Service Code than on the manual. But I've been to Dell's site and I think the Card Reader driver offered should work on 7, in case it doesn't have the apropriate drivers natively. And if their nVidia GeForce 7300 LE 128 driver perchance refusers to install, a newer reference driver from nVidia certainly will work OK. It seems to me you won't have to worry about drivers, after all. The Logitech mouse too, in case you still use the mouse that came originally with the PC, and if needed on 7, may benefit from a a newer reference driver from Logitech.

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to do this. I appreciate it.

I just did this and oh how nice not to have to worry about that irritating bar popping up anymore.

Sophy

I would still highly recommend switching to Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or any of the many other supported browsers.

While my fix turns off the message, you will NOT receive further Google Chrome updates. 

Since Microsoft will be supporting Vista for at least another year, I don't comprehend Google's reasoning for dropping support this early.

Sophy

Since Microsoft will be supporting Vista for at least another year, I don't comprehend Google's reasoning for dropping support this early.

Well third party developers do not need to adhere to Microsoft support timelines.  Recent builds of Adobe Photshop do not support Vista x64.  And Google was only allowing the non-Aero build to run on Vista for the last while anyway.

Afraid that fix I was so tickled about didn't work for me after all. Browser crashed, Eversync crashed. I had a box at the top of my settings page telling me some program had corrupted Chrome and they wanted to reset all my settings back to default. I tried just taking that little addition off that area under properties but it didn't work. 

To make a long story and several hours of work short, I ended up in a heck of a mess. I uninstalled Chrome used Geek Uninstaller, then reinstalled. Funny thing, since I did that I no longer get the warning bar.

If possible I'm going to upgrade to Windows 7. If not I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I have Firefox which I keep updated all the time; used to be my default browser. 

@Sophy -
Please ignore all of that "Better to do a clean install".

While I (gernerally) agree, the fact is that you say you have all the software you installed on Vista and the keys (hopefully *not* on your HDD but on a CD/DVD or physically purchased at a Retail Outlet). In this case, why does it matter? An Upgrade will save you a lot of time and, provided you're stisfied with it, BOOM you're done. If not, then a Clean Install can always be done instead afterward.

As for the COA Key vs Keyfinder Key, that's normal, since the Internal (Keufinder) is used by OEM's to "roll out" mass-produced PC's. I'm not going into the details since the info is available on the WEB and is (nearly) pointless unless you have a Vista Install DVD (which you claim to not have) and the ISO files (DVD Images) are no longer available. Basically, out of luck.

The above is *exactly* why I informed you to see if there was an Option to "Create Recover DVD" in your Vista Start Menu paths somewhere. It's *also* why I was very adamant about getting (at minimum) the Running OS Partition backed up.

Now, about the Backup. Do this -
1- In the Start Menu Search Box, do a find on "CMD.EXE"
2- Right-click on what it finds and "Run as Administrator"
3- Enter this at the Prompt -
C:\WINDOWS\system32\diskmgmt.msc
4- You'll see the Partitions that exist on your HDD in the lower right
Please report back on whether you have more than one.
This is (somewhat) critical as there may be a Hidden (you can't see it in Windows Explorer) Recover Partition (to restore to Factory, i.e. when you pulled it out of the Packing Box and first plugged it in).
If so, then we *may* be able to (additionally) prepare a Recovery DVD from that. Also, it *definitely* should be Backed Up *and* the Master Boot Record (Physical Sector #0) since it will contain "special code" to allow for a Restore From HDD (see you Manual for how-to).

No point in going into technical detail about the above. Just do it and we'll go from there. ;)

Now, about those Drivers. The Upgrade/CleanInstall will install whatever Windows 7 has. It makes no difference. Dencorso is helping on that (any Drivers Windows 7 doesn't have on the DVD and you need to download and save on CD/DVD).

Again, you've come to the right place. Other forums may/may-not give completely accurate (legally) info. We do. :yes:

Busy yesterday, so didn't test Full (your) Scenario. I'll also install "Vista Service Pack 2" and maybe a piece of Software (for fun), Will test and give complete step-by-step instructions. I will say this - the previous Test seems to imply that this is the Anytime Upgrade (to Windows 7) option offered by OEM's.

Side Notes -
I have an nVidia GeForce 6200 (PCI) that gets recognized just fine in Windows 7.
Also be aware that many OEM's have many different models that have the exact same motherboard. Why you have an XPS manual as opposed to Dimension I have no clue.
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Dimension-Motherboard-Systemboard-Compatible/dp/B002N7S1A4
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dimension-9200/
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-410/
Only the Box and additional (external) Hardware will be different.

Carry on and I'll get back to this thread later.

When I purchased this computer from Dell I researched online information and reviews and the XPS 410 is what I wanted. That is what I put into the search bar when I went to Dell. What I purchased was described as XPS 410. The book that came with it is titled XPS 410. That's all I know. It has been an excellent machine which is still running very well and I've often told others that I'm really gonna' hate it when this machine goes down.

I'm sure I have only one partition. See screenshot of results.

I have my keys stored on my Iomega (300 GB) external HD. This HD will work on my computer after installing Windows 7, I hope.

I know that I can do a factory install of Vista right from my computer because I've done it. It puts the computer back to the same way it was when it came out of the box. I've had experience re-installing programs. 

Driver: Microsoft Upgrade Advisor (MUA) told me to download an updated driver for Intel® 82566 DC Gigabit Network Connection. When I went to the Intel site and typed this in it said there were no updates. I contacted Intel and was told to download the Windows 7 driver for Intel at the link they provided. This was Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7* version: 20.4.1 (latest) Date: 10/2/2015. I have this saved to my external. Instructions were to install after installing Windows 7. This was the only driver mentioned in the MUA.

I located and copied by Drivers folder and saved it to my external. 

Backup: I have Genie Timeline 2014 (paid version) and I created a Disaster Recovery CD, so provided I did that correctly I should have a complete backup of my system. 

Product keys: I am still completely unclear when it comes to these product keys. I'm sorry but it just isn't making good connection.

On the tag attached to my machine I've got one 20-digit OEM number and one 25-digit product number. When I run Belarc and that other keyfinder I installed, those numbers match between the keyfinder and Belarc, but are not the same as what is on my machine. So when/if I get to the spot where I have to enter Vista numbers, what do I enter? What I read is that sometimes the numbers on the tag aren't right and that's why you need to run Belarc or a keyfinder to get the numbers which are hidden in the registry. 

Upgrade or clean install: That link that shows the clean install procedure seems pretty clear to me with those step-by-step pictures. I wish I could find something like that for the in-place upgrade. I fear I'll check something wrong ... 

EI.CFG: You asked me to do this way back. Do you still want me to and if so, what is my DVD reader? I've got two drives: DVD/CD-RW and DVD RW. Is it one of those you are referring to. 

Stick it in your DVD Reader and open the file in folder "SOURCES" named "EI.CFG". Use Notepad -or- copy it somewhere on your Hard Drive and rename it to EI.TXT. Post the contents and we'll confirm what you have.

This is what Dencorso wrote back on the drivers:

Well, it seems the latest XPS 410 use the same hardware of the Dimension 9200... I'd rather believe in the Dell identification of the Service Code than on the manual. But I've been to Dell's site and I think the Card Reader driver offered should work on 7, in case it doesn't have the apropriate drivers natively. And if their nVidia GeForce 7300 LE 128 driver perchance refusers to install, a newer reference driver from nVidia certainly will work OK. It seems to me you won't have to worry about drivers, after all. The Logitech mouse too, in case you still use the mouse that came originally with the PC, and if needed on 7, may benefit from a a newer reference driver from Logitech.

I'll wait to hear from you. 

post-142907-0-82122200-1454281100_thumb.

On the tag attached to my machine I've got one 20-digit OEM number and one 25-digit product number. When I run Belarc and that other keyfinder I installed, those numbers match between the keyfinder and Belarc, but are not the same as what is on my machine. So when/if I get to the spot where I have to enter Vista numbers, what do I enter? What I read is that sometimes the numbers on the tag aren't right and that's why you need to run Belarc or a keyfinder to get the numbers which are hidden in the registry.

The OS that Dell installed to your PC does not use the product key from the COA. This is the reason why MS had removed the Product Key from Direct COAs starting with Windows 8.

So its ok to take note of it, but you will probably use the product keys you found in the OS.

Well, it appears that I've been dumped. I haven't had a response from submix8c for two days.

In the meantime I've been continuing to Google and read. I've also submitted a couple more questions to Ask Leo. I've made a decision to do a clean install. My Vista does have some glitches in it. There is nothing real major, just little things that I've either found a way around, or been able to ignore. But based on that I think it would be foolish of me to do anything but a clean install. Maybe there is a line of reasoning that I'm missing but I don't want to go through all this and then end up with a new system, with my old glitches or worse. If my backup program works like it's supposed to I will have an option to restore to what I have now. 

I'm ready to get going on this and I haven't heard any more responses so will wait a little longer, go through that clean install step-by-step process I got the link for, and then go forth I guess. 

P.S.

Just in case someone responds, I dug around and found a reinstallation disk for Vista that came with my computer when it was new. submix8c had asked me about that before and I didn't think I had one.

Edited by Sophy