In-place upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium

Sophy

No, I don't WANT to upgrade. I'm perfectly satisfied the way things are. However, my Google Chrome browser keeps telling me that soon I won't be receiving Chrome updates because support for Win Vista will end. I Googled that and it looks like it will end in April of 2017 so I should still have a year.

Then don't upgrade. Things are working as they are for you, you should rather avoid the many headaches associated to upgrading. Moreover, to let sleeping dogs lie will cost you nothing, on top of it, while moving on to 7 legally is not for free.

I have Firefox, but I very strongly prefer Chrome. I guess I will just have to make a decision.

I have another computer with Windows 7 on it, a 17" Toshiba laptop. But I love this Dell desktop of mine so much and I want to be able to keep using it as long as it runs. I guess I will just have to decide.

Yes. And the best decision you can reach is to go with Chrome until it stops updating and, when that happens, then maybe keep it without updates or dump it (which is free) for another browser that keeps supporting Vista and is also free. Please don't let Chome strong-arm you into moving on to 7 against your better judgement. Of course, these're just my 2 ¢, so feel free to ignore them.

Well, I renewed my security program about 2 weeks ago and I just found out, literally minutes ago, that they also are not going to update the version I have right now because they are "discontinuing support for Windows XP and Windows Vista at the end of April."

Am I wrong or is Microsoft continuing support through April 2017? If I'm right, why wouldn't Chrome and my security program doe the same? 

Anyway, I'm waiting for two answers right now from sellers on e-bay to confirm that their items come with a product key I see one says includes COA. Is that the same as a product key?

P.S. Do you feel it's safe, then, to use a browser that is not being updated? 

Edited by Sophy

Oh the software works just fine. It is just that either of those companies have determined it is not worth the effort to continue development of your OS. So rather than have you opt-in to "an update might break your computer" they just shut you out.

There are other Chromium browsers available other than the one Google released. Perhaps one of those will continue on with support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29#Active

Google Chrome isn't to be used in Vista now, unfortunately. Google will cut support for Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003 and 2008 in April 2016 with that browser, as they say those OSes are unsupported (Vista and 2008 are still supported by MS, by the way  <_< ), so your better option is go with Firefox or a fork of it, or another browser, as Mozilla won't cut support for either XP or Vista soon (remember when they stopped Win2k support in 2012, 2 years later than its official MS support end date?), and it is a great browser still. And, if you feel that you need that MS support, you can go with Server 2008 and set it up to work like Vista and get awesome performance, even better than Vista by about 17-20%, and get support until January 2020. Then, we're here to help you with whatever issue arises in your computer. :)

This all sounds like some good news except that I don't fully understand it.

As I said, I do have Firefox and before Chrome came out it was my browser of choice. Chrome is so much more streamlined and easier to use but I can use Firefox.

What bothers me more is my security company. I'm not happy with them at all because they just put out a new version and in no way at all was I warned that I would not be getting this new version because they were stopping their support of Vista --- nor was I warned of anything when I just renewed that program. I had a lot of faith and trust in this company and the truth is that their actions concerning this matter have shaken that a bit.

Quote: And, if you feel that you need that MS support, you can go with Server 2008 and set it up to work like Vista and get awesome performance, even better than Vista by about 17-20%, and get support until January 2020. 

Can you explain what is meant by the above? I have no idea what's being talked about here but I am very interested in knowing. I hope you have time to elaborate and clarify this more for me.

Edited by Sophy

Oh the software works just fine. It is just that either of those companies have determined it is not worth the effort to continue development of your OS. So rather than have you opt-in to "an update might break your computer" they just shut you out.

There are other Chromium browsers available other than the one Google released. Perhaps one of those will continue on with support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29#Active

Are you personally familiar with that Comodo Dragon browser? I thought that one sounded interesting.

Please ignore the "Server 2008" suggestion.

You think Windows 7 is going to cost? Is that poster insane? :crazy:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-Standard-2008/dp/B002NVA6DU

Windows 7 is *also* supported until 2020, in spite of the fact that MS is pushing Windows 10 on unsuspecting users.

You have several options given. Pick one.

BTW it's looking slim for getting Windows 7 outside of getting a System Builder (OEM) version.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-Builder-Refurbished-Installation/dp/B00LG20IB2

Here's Upgrade -

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Version/dp/B002DHLUWK

How to tell (if you want to Upgarde to Windows 7) whether you will need 32-bit or 64-bit.

Click the Start button , right-click Computer, and then click Properties. If "64-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, you're running the 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.

As I said, whichever one you have is the kind you'll need.

Here is the Upgrade Paths to Windows 7.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Again, HTH ;)

edit - And to point out, just because an OS is no longer supported by MS doesn't mean it's no longer useful. Indeed, if you choose to keep Vista I'd recommend getting all of the Updates applicable and storing them on a DVD in case you want to Restore (via a Recovery DVD/HDD-Partition?).

edit2 - Seems like Dell doesn't want to deal with Vista anymore. This was pulled from the Web Archive.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100712120221/http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=298A2E89689E13C2E040A68F5B280AA4&doclang=en&cs

...which confuses the heck out of me since here's a mish-mash -

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19505372

Why does this not make sense? Because OEM's have special files embedded in the Installation Media that Auto-Activates/Validates Windows (read the threads nonetheless).

HTH #2...

Edited by submix8c

I'm right back to being confused again now. 

I don't know what HTH means so would you explain?

I don't want to keep Vista because there are too many headaches with this and that not supporting it any longer.

I am attaching a screenshot of exactly what I purchased on e-bay. It said nothing about being an OEM in the description and it said NEW. I wrote and asked if it comes with a product key and the answer was yes. I notice the listings for these programs usually appear to state if they are OEMs so I assumed this one was not. I have now written back to the seller asking about this.

post-142907-0-52375200-1453846568_thumb.

Sure, MS support doesn't kill everything on an OS, but it kinda determines an OS's life, as they'll most likely push other manufacturers to stop supporting that OS, for example, and get them to give support for a newer one instead, in the upcoming days near the End of Life. And, why not using Server 2008? Is it so hard to configure? Is there anything wrong using it? Definitely not. I use Server 2008 since it got released, and I love that OS. It's just a server edition of Vista that has better performance and needs some small configurations to get it working like Vista and use it as your everyday OS. It's not like jumping off a cliff to use Server 2008 at this point of time, it'll actually run better than 7 or 2008 R2, as that's what it did to me, and I like it. Whatever, since Vista's support is also a bit dead, and 2008 is NT 6.0, it'll have the same support.

And for the original poster, Windows Server 2008 is a server edition of Windows Vista, so it's most targeted to those that have those computers to run websites and such (24/7), so it doesn't have those nice Aero features and Sidebar enabled for example, by default, but you can enable those easily and get better performance, and Server 2008 competes with Linux, so that's why it performs better than Vista. It will run most software made for Vista fine, without any problem. But, I regret talking about it, since it's kinda expensive to buy now, and you'll unfortunately have to upgrade if your issues are bothering you quite a lot. I recommend upgrading to Windows 8 or 8.1, and then if you miss Aero or such features, we can help in getting those back. I've had some issues with Windows 7, like a sudden high memory usage sometimes, so that's why I say to keep away from it.

Edited by OneSerendipity

Well, I've already purchased this Windows 7 now, which I bet is an OEM. Can I still use this OEM to do an in-place upgrade of my Vista?

I just read on The Seven Forums, posted by 3 different people, that you can 

"You can upgrade-in-place from Vista with the Win7 OEM version."

I just heard back from the seller on e-bay that yes, it is an OEM key. Seller said most people have had great success doing an in-place upgrade from Vista Home 32, and that if it doesn't work to let them know. So I guess I am going to try this. I really don't know what else to do.

Edited by Sophy

HTH - Hope This Helps (not Hit The head) ;)

And no, yours appears to be Retail 32-bit. Stick it in your DVD Reader and open the file in folder "SOURCES" named "EI.CFG". Use Notepad -or- copy it somewhere on your Hard Drive and rename it to EI.TXT. Post the contents and we'll confirm what you have.

Also note that I'm assuming you probably have Vista 32-Bit since that's what usually shipped with OEM PC's. as long as that's a legit sale, you're good to go. If the DVD is real but the key isn't, you can still get a good key from MS directly by ratting on the Seller.

I believe we're done here? <crosses fingers> Oh, and I highly recommend using (e.g.) CCleaner and deleting the contents of your TEMP folder then proceed to make a Full Clone Backup of the C-Drive to DVD(s) before you Upgrade. THAT'S SMART GEEK REPAIRMAN RULE #1!!!!

PLEASE don't proceed to Upgrade until you have a Safety Net in place (backups, Recovery DVD's, whatever).  FWIW, providing you have lots of HDD space, it's possible to Shrink the C-Drive to make space for a Clone of it to a new Partition (using the Free Space created after Shrink). That way, if something goes wrong, you just Restore from the Clone.

We'll help with that as necessary. Ask for details if need be. We're used to it. :yes:

Edited by submix8c

:crazy:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/41386-place-upgrade-retail-oem-osb-sb-versions.html

I can confirm there's literally no difference between a Retail/Full and the OEM version except for the EI.CFG file I mentioned earlier. However, I'm not sure that entering the Key during Upgrade will work. I'd be interested in what the Seller has to say about that.

<shrugs> Good luck, Sophy.

Here's their answer. Not quite an answer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/41386-place-upgrade-retail-oem-osb-sb-versions-post3208035.html#post3208035

I'm tempted to try it myself to confirm. Just call me sceptical. :huh:

Here's you "seller" and the description of what you purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-32-Bit-Full-Version-Upgrade-SP1-NEW-/291317239015

BTW, could you post the contents of the EI.CFG file? It has no "secret" info or "private key". Here's mine -

[EditionID]Professional[Channel]OEM[VL]0
And this makes me sceptical. $25 for a DVD of stuff you can download for FREE?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Office-Suite-Software-Bundle-w-7zip-GIMP-and-more-Windows-XP-Vista-7-8-10-/371486244782

Also

Please see the second picture, this is what you'll be receiving.
That picture is an OEM Refurb DVD, like mine. Only the wording is different.
Intended For Distribution With A Refurbished PC
Mine says (paraphrased) "By An Authorized Microsoft Refurbisher". Same verbiage and DVD's for other sellers, different prices. All appear to be exactly what you purchased. Again, call me sceptical.

Still, good luck. There's a lot of scams out there. ( 5,000 sold so far? :crazy: )

Edited by submix8c