In-place upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium

Sophy

I have Vista Home Premium SP2. 

I need to update to Windows 7. I ran the advisor and am told I can do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and retain most of my programs, etc. 

The advisor said I would have to download the latest driver for Intel® 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection, and that this should be installed after installing Windows 7.

The advisor reported a few programs that would not be compatible, but there weren't many and none that I really care about. 

However, I have Googled and searched until I am blue in the face and I can't find out how to obtain a disk for this Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit program. Is that something that is impossible? Am I understanding what I've been reading correctly in that it takes a particular version of this Windows 7 Home Premium disk to do an in-place upgrade?

I'm green about this process so I'd sure appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Edited by Sophy

I am not trying to do anything illegal. I had found a Microsoft site from which I thought I was going to be able to download this Windows 7 to an ISO file or some such thing. Then in reading further I believe it said that this could only be used to reinstall Win 7.  

Just a few minutes ago I found an item on Amazon and then right after that I found 5 items on e-bay which all sounded to me like they are what is needed, but the pricing was so different.

Obviously I'm not very sure about what I'm doing. I have attached a couple of screenshots of these items I found and would appreciate your input. 

post-142907-0-64892600-1453660262_thumb.

post-142907-0-54189100-1453660583_thumb.

Sure, they would do, though a bit of caution may be needed, there are so many reports of these "second hand" being "fake" or "couterfeit" that you need to pay some attention (and also be a bit lucky) in order to get the "real" thing.

See also this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174719-win7-available-unattended-programs/

AFAIK the "upgrade version" made sense at the time because it was sold at a discount price, but the "normal" or "full" version should be able to use the "upgrade" option as well:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

jaclaz

Windows Vista and 7 are almost the same,are you sure you want to upgrade to 7? ofcourse 7 has more drivers,but you should be able to get the same drivers/software on vista

Edited by burd

burd: No, I don't WANT to upgrade. I'm perfectly satisfied the way things are. However, my Google Chrome browser keeps telling me that soon I won't be receiving Chrome updates because support for Win Vista will end. I Googled that and it looks like it will end in April of 2017 so I should still have a year. 

The Finder: I do see that 3 of those items on the screenshots are 64 bit and I would have to have the 32 bit for an in-place upgrade, according to the advisor.

I'm not even sure I would attempt to do this myself. I might take it to a person I know of that has way more computer savvy than me.

Out of curiosity, do computer repair shops have disks of these various Windows versions so that they can do upgrades for people, or do you need to take a disk to them?

you could use opera or firefox that currently supports Windows XP to Windows 10, and for the upgrade part,its pretty easy to upgrade,but,if your not comfortable doing it yourself then you should take it to someone who can install it for you.

I have Firefox, but I very strongly prefer Chrome. I guess I will just have to make a decision.

I have another computer with Windows 7 on it, a 17" Toshiba laptop. But I love this Dell desktop of mine so much and I want to be able to keep using it as long as it runs. I guess I will just have to decide.

I wouldn't want to use it without updates.

I'm still confused about this Windows 7 disk business.

Can I use a full, regular Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit disk to perform an in-place upgrade, or do I have to have some special format of this program to do that?

If I can afford it I still feel that I would want to try the in-place upgrade so that I can keep using this computer.                  

P.S.

I found the other place where I was told I could download Windows. It was from "The Ask Leo Newsletter." Found at this link: https://goo.gl/xRhU45

My computer came loaded with Windows Vista when I bought it, so I guess it's considered OEM. But I do have the 25 digit Product Key that came with it. So I went to the Microsoft site, filled in the number and hit the Verify button. Below is the message I got. Now seems to me that should be a perfectly legal product key so why can't I download this Windows 7 file? Since this is a Microsoft forum I would think someone on here would know the answer.

I went to the Microsoft Support page but it's like chasing a maze.

The product key you provided is for a product not currently supported by this site or may be invalid. Please try again or visit the Microsoft Support Contact Us page for assistance.

Edited by Sophy

An explanation or two is in order.

Can I use a full, regular Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit disk to perform an in-place upgrade

Yes.

If I can afford it

Amazon? eBay?

My computer came loaded with Windows Vista when I bought it, so I guess it's considered OEM. But I do have the 25 digit Product Key that came with it.

That's the COA key for that particualer Vista Edition. There's another internal one inside the Registry. But that's (kind of) irrelevant. You *do* have the Restore Disks, for it, right?

...for a product not currently supported...
And per your link -

Beginning with Windows 7, Microsoft actually made full ISOs of the operating system available for download. But you’ll still need your product key.

That means your currently installed Windows 7, which you don't have but wish to upgrade to.

In other words, you have to have a Full/Upgrade Install Product Key that you bought with your Windows 7. They changed the rules even for that, in that you can't even get an ISO with a Windows 7 OEM (COA) Key. And the direct links to them (useless since you don't even have a legal Full/Upgrade Product Key) have been pulled by MS requiring you to go to the MS Website and enter a key.

If you want Windows 7 that badly, I'd recommend getting ASAP a legally purchased one (DVD and Key of Full/Upgrade) for the best price you can. Bear in mind, if you purchase an OEM System Builder version you won't be able to Upgrade as those are strictly for Clean Installs (no prior OS).

HTH ( and sorry... :( )

Edited by submix8c

I don't want to spent money for Windows 7 and then find out I still can't install it for some goofy reason, so I will ask for more clarification.

The key that I mentioned is referred to on the label as a "Product Key". No, I do not have any disks. I don't throw things like that out but if I ever got a restore disk from Dell, I don't have it now.

It's not that I want Windows 7 so badly, but unless I want to toss out a perfectly good computer, or operate without updates (which I wouldn't even consider), I'm going to have to update. 

The reason I asked about whether the regular full install version of Win 7 would work to do an upgrade is because everything I've read says when I start the setup disk it will ask me to select Upgrade or Custom. So does the full install version give this option?

Let us say I manage to find and purchase a Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit program that comes with a key. Even then, I am wondering if I'm going to be able to do an in-place upgrade of my Vista because of this product key stuff. During the upgrade are they going to ask for the product key of my Vista? If Microsoft wouldn't accept it on that site of theirs, fi it's required will it be accepted during this upgrade?

If the product key that is on the label attached to my hard drive won't work then I'm out of luck. That's the only 25-digit code I have and apparently it' been enough to be validated for Windows Updates and such so I'm puzzled about this deal.

Hmm... You're still misunderstanding.

1 - You have a Windows Vista 25-character Product Key (on a COA - Certificate Of Auathenticity).

2 - You can NOT get a Windows 7 ISO without a 25-character Windows 7 Product Key.

3 - Windows Vista Product Key is NOT a Windows 7 Product Key. (Not interchangable.)

4 - You CAN purchase a Windows 7 DVD which BETTER come WITH a Windows 7 Product Key.

(note: If you don't, it's an illegal and maybe fake product sale.)

5 - Windows 7 Full Product -or- Upgrade DVD WILL Update-In-Place -or- Custom (see #7),

6 - Windows 7 Full WILL Install Clean (nothing at all on the HDD).

7 - Windows 7 Upgrade ONLY does an In-Place-Upgrade -or- Custom Install-To-Different-HDD/Partition.

(note: The Vista is the Qualifying Upgrade Operating System)

8 - You *could* TEST a CLEAN (see #6) burned-to-DVD ISO Image if you HAD one (which you can't get) as they will *only* Evaluate-Install via Clean or Custom (see #5/#7) as the ISO is a Full Product -but- Install as a TRIAL and you can NOT Upgrade without said Windows 7 Product Key. And you MUST have one to Activate.

9 - Beyond the above, you MUST purchase the actual Windows 7 DVD -and- the accompanying Product Key.

Now, Dell *should* have provided a Program to create Recovery DVD's from a Recovery Partition (hidden from your sight) in case your PC totally screwed up (viruses, HDD goes bad, etc). I have one here for an old Dell I accidentally killed. ALL OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer, including e.g. Acer, HP, Lenovo, etc.) are *required* to provide you with either that facility (Program) -or- an actual Physical DVD Set (usually the OS and a separate Driver DVD). If they did *not* then they are are fault but you *may* be out of luck gettng Physical DVD's (out of warranty). Please do check your Documentation on where/how to create them (if that facility still exists on you computer).

The above are indisputable facts. Read them carefully (so you understand) and please accept them as truth.

Side note - You can NOT Install Windows 64-bit over Windows 32-bit and vice-versa (from XP onward). So if you *do* decide to get Windows 7 *and* do In-Place-Upgrade (to retain everything/data/programs already on your Hard Disk) be aware thet you *must* check which Vista you have and get the same type. Also, if something screws up and you *don't* have Vista Recovery DVD's then you'r out of luck. HOWEVER if you *do* have the "hidden" Recovery Partition, then you can still Restore from there (read that Manual!). As for YOUR (Vista) Key, that one is good for YOUR Physical Computer and no other. Also YOUR Vista is Validated (e.g. Activated) for YOU Computer with the OEM Key. After you install (if you do) Windows 7, you'll have to Activate the Unique KEY you used, upon which time IT will be "validated" as Genuine.

HTH

Edited by submix8c