System has Heart Attack with USB Stick

HoppaLong

XP Pro_SP3

I've never seen any Windows system have so much trouble with a 64GB stick.

The system kind of freezes for a few seconds. Then the monitor appears to power-
down, or a least that's what I thought when this problem started. Actually, the
monitor just goes blank. All icons and wallpaper vanish. A few seconds after that
the system finally loads the drive and the monitor is restored to normal.

The drive is listed in My Computer, but all is definitely not well! When I attempt
to open certain folders a "corrupt" dialog box appears. On the Properties Sheet it
shows zero bytes.

This flash drive has been tested on several other computers. It works normally.

I've had less serious quirky problems with XP and other flash drives. I know XP has
native support for USB devices, but maybe using different drivers would be a good idea.
If you think better drivers might be the answer, give me a link.

I use the "WinTricks Generic Storage USB Device" driver with 98SE. The folder containing
the files is a remarkable 21.1KB. It works perfectly all the time! I wish the same could
be said for my XP system.

Those NirSoft apps are USBDeview and CleanAfterMe. Correct?

The problem with apps that list all devices or running processes is the same. You can
never be 100% certain about every item on the list. Sysinternals AutoRuns lists every
obscure running process and gives you the option to disable anything on the list after a
reboot. You could spend days googling before all the items listed by AutoRuns are
completely understood.

Remember how registry cleaner apps exploded in popularity many years ago? Some had
awful names like "Registry Drill." So many people used these apps with no way back from
the damage they caused.

I always have numerous backups, so I can never wreck anything beyond repair. I'll try
those two NirSoft apps and see what happens. If they don't fix the problem I'll check the
Keys you listed in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/138563-usb-device-not-recognized/#entry888222

Thanks jaclaz.

Yep, those are the two little apps, but more generally  if you (or the tools you use) limit yourself to a definite area of the Registry (such as the USB subsystem and related) in the very worst case it will be a matter of re-installing a few USB drivers, the only issue may come if you have a USB keyboard and mouse and you delete/remove the corresponding entries (which however are outside the "USBSTOR" related areas), but nothing that won't be fixed automatically at next reboot.

jaclaz

XP Pro_SP3

I've never seen any Windows system have so much trouble with a 64GB stick.

The system kind of freezes for a few seconds. Then the monitor appears to power-

down, or a least that's what I thought when this problem started. Actually, the

monitor just goes blank. All icons and wallpaper vanish. A few seconds after that

the system finally loads the drive and the monitor is restored to normal.

The drive is listed in My Computer, but all is definitely not well! When I attempt

to open certain folders a "corrupt" dialog box appears. On the Properties Sheet it

shows zero bytes.

This flash drive has been tested on several other computers. It works normally.

I've had less serious quirky problems with XP and other flash drives. I know XP has

native support for USB devices, but maybe using different drivers would be a good idea.

If you think better drivers might be the answer, give me a link.

I use the "WinTricks Generic Storage USB Device" driver with 98SE. The folder containing

the files is a remarkable 21.1KB. It works perfectly all the time! I wish the same could

be said for my XP system.

Looks like possibly a faulty USB port, if not the USB controller as well.