Where can i get a copy of windows xp?

phim63morfin

Get Windows XP Mode from Microsoft site. Its package contains a VHD of a full Windows XP installation system. Don't execute or install the package (it may refuse to install on Windows 10 anyway). i.e.:

1.  Download the package from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002.

2. Extract the files with 7-Zip.

3.  In sources subfolder of extracted files, rename xpm to xpm.cab.

4. Extract xpm.cab contents using 7-Zip.

5. Rename VirtualXPVHD to WinXP.vhd.

Just want to point out (and the XP VHD is still fully functional) that the OS inside does *not* contain a complete I386 folder, so don't depend on "creating" an XP CD from it. It also has some "special" Drivers to allow USB Support and drag-and-drop (among other drivers).

JFYI... ;)

Just want to point out (and the XP VHD is still fully functional) that the OS inside does *not* contain a complete I386 folder, so don't depend on "creating" an XP CD from it. It also has some "special" Drivers to allow USB Support and drag-and-drop (among other drivers).

JFYI... ;)

I'm not sure it this suggestion will fix or improve the above situation, but I believe that harkaz has verified that his Unofficial SP4 can be applied to XP mode, at least with previous versions of SP4 and I assume that is still the case with the latest v3.1 that is about to be released.

Cheers and Regards

Well, yeah, probably. Just that you can't create an Integrated CD/DVD from it.

The major difference between it and a Full OEM/RTL is

1 - Just the basic "extras" in the I386 (anything in Add/Remove). All else is removed.

2 - OEMBIOS.xxx are MS-specific "OEM" as is the Internal Key.

3 - Additional Drivers to allow for drag-and-drop and USB access (among other things)

4 - There are a couple of "fixes" already installed.

Chances are the one jaclaz linked to is probably the same type of VHD. Nonetheless, either should be usable for the OP's purposes.

Chances are the one jaclaz linked to is probably the same type of VHD. Nonetheless, either should be usable for the OP's purposes.

Yep :), that was the OP question, it was you that "added" how it would be not suitable to create an install CD/DVD, something that would be completely outside the original question.

jaclaz

However, the one you gave a link to has this warning:

This image will expire on Feb 14, 2013.  At that time the OS will no longer boot, and you will be locked out of the VHD.  Please ensure you back up any relevant data before Feb 14, 2013.  [...]  The image was and is up to date as of Oct 17, 2012.

Is it still usable, even so?  :dubbio:

However, the one you gave a link to has this warning:

This image will expire on Feb 14, 2013.  At that time the OS will no longer boot, and you will be locked out of the VHD.  Please ensure you back up any relevant data before Feb 14, 2013.  [...]  The image was and is up to date as of Oct 17, 2012.

Is it still usable, even so?  :dubbio:

I have no idea :no::w00t:, but I believe that - for the use the OP asked it for - he can reset the time/date of the VM and prevent it form connecting to the internet/time servers. :unsure:

jaclaz

Sadly, VPC's use the Host OS Date/Time, so that doesn't work. :(

It actually gets set in the VPC's BIOS (AFAICR). Time server on the Guest has nothing to do with it. :no:

To my knowledge there's no way around that.

Best go with the XP-Mode one (no expiry). ;) Bad part is it's much larger and you have to extract it *but* it will function.

(Not to self - see if the EXE one has a full I386...) :unsure: (but probably not...)

Google this.

"virtual pc" BIOS time
Therein lies the rub. (and I'll say no more - just google that)

Sadly, VPC's use the Host OS Date/Time, so that doesn't work. :(

Well, Qemu (Qemu Manager) can have the date set in an "arbitrary manner", issue may be if the .vhd (actually the drivers installed in it) can be adapted to work in it.

I am not too sure :unsure: about this but I seem to remember that I used that "test IE" in Qemu some time ago, though of course the "XP mode" one would be anyway easier to use :).

jaclaz