Dell tablet windows 10 lost desktop

tondad70mi

I have Dell tablet with Windows 10.

This morning I turned on the tablet and checked the local weather. All done. Turned off tablet.
Turned it on a couple hrs later, no desktop icons showing, no apps showing. Just have desktop picture showing. I can access internet and file manager from the bar along the bottom of screen. The Windows icon in the left corner does not do anything unless I press and hold for several seconds. Then I get a menu for system, control panel, etc. Downloaded and ran malware scanners, and Avast. No change.
If I swipe the screen left to right, the desktop icons appear for a split second. Swiping right to left doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Are you in tablet mode?  Click the Action center tray icon (or swipe in from the right-edge), and see if the Tablet mode button at the bottom is highlighted.  If it is, turn it back off and see if your desktop works afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question, and I apologize for even bringing it up if you've already thought of it, but does the problem go away after a reboot?

Regarding what could cause it...  If rebooting does in fact help, I'd suggest disabling hybrid/fast bootup and taking the slightly longer time required to do a real shutdown / bootup.  Windows has to rely so much on 3rd party drivers getting everything exactly right at power transitions (e.g., to/from sleep or hibernation) that it's often better to just not go through them.

-Noel