Xyplorer (a replacement to windows explorer)

garon3

Respected readers welcome,

After using several programs i discovered Xyplorer, it has all the features which many of them where missing.Even Total commander hasn't got some of them like Undo/redo,customizable keyboard shortcuts etc...Directory opus also fails in comparison to this in easy usage.Don't take my word for belief compare yourselves. The greatest things are that i am discovering new features every month and the developer of Xy "Donald" improves it daily.

Main features--
1) Dual pane file manager with tabs.
2) Queued file operations.
3) One-click previews of all important image, audio.
4. Undo/redo of file operations
5. Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
6. Powerful file search.

Also one can set single key shortcuts for back/forward like "[" for back and "]" for forward,usually in win explorer this happens by alt+left arrow/right arrow. Set "/" for root of the folder,which takes you to d: or c: even though one is in deep sub-folders.

http://www.xyplorer.com

My favorite is qttabs from Quizo :

- you still work with windows explorer as it's an extension 

- you get tabs 

- instant previews for pic - movie - sound ( wav - mp3) files whatever view you set when you just hover files 

- cascading menus from " my PC" on each drive without open them 

- colored background in explorer 

- you can pin any app you want on toolbar for quick launch 

- an infinite menu with mouse wheel on the vertical toolbar ( amazing feature ) 

- a desktop tool ( mouse clic on desktop and you get a custom menu )

- integrated right menu commands like " copy from or move from " to the place you are ( very useful )

and lot of more ... 

- skinable tabs menus or toolbars

and best iof all it's free ( though I made a donation for such hard work ) and windows 10 compatible 

can't live without for a while :)

http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/

Edited by innuendo33

• 2 weeks later...

My choice is Total Commander.

I have tried XYplorer in the last few days. It has some positive aspects. The performance and stability are suprisingly good considering it is a Visual Basic (!) application. I wouldn't even consider it, if it required NET. The visual design is overall nicer compared to TC. Unlike TC, Xyplorer builds upon the win95-type Explorer with a folder tree instead of two panes, which might make the program more accessible to new users. TC has a "DOS/Norton"-feel to its core (down to keyboard shortcuts). I found the initial setup usable, and further configuration quite intuitive. I like how there is a search function for the bulky Settings dialog, as well as an overview of keyboard shortcuts, both of which TC does not feature. Without a heavy-handed license management, Xyplorer is easy to transfer to a new computer. The preview panel is easy to configure to show any media formats via DirectShow.

In other ways Xyplorer is quite limited. There is no FTP client in it. FTP is a good OS-agnostic way to connect to any other computer, which cannot be easily done using SMB/network neighborhood. Xyplorer has some MP3 metadata management options, but doesn't support other common formats (including those with simple tags - ogg, ape), which means we need a dedicated software anyway. Built-in archive support only includes ZIP. Even with Zip, we do not get a tree-view of the compressed files. Instead the program launches Internet Explorer in another window to show the file listing. This requires a recent version (>6) of MSIE.

XYplorer appears to be fully functional (including media preview) on Windows XP and Windows 2000 (with gdiplus.dll copied from XP). Files and folders with unicode symbols also worked. Xyplorer did start up on Win98, but certain functions showed the expected unreliability of Visual Basic software: New File and New Folder options spawned a dozen error messages and crashed the program. The basic rectangular selection frame didn't seem to select any files.

I was a user of PowerDesk 3 by Mijenix Corporation in Win98 days. The included file finder had a few more options, and the explorer featured treeview of compressed archives, also the dialog helper allowed to resize the open/save dialogs and retain their history.

Looks like PowerDesk has changed ownership several times. It seems PowerDesk is now marketed by Avanquest. The webpage design is quite repulsive, it seems like a scam site, overly commercial, with big download buttons and meaningless awards. System requirements for this file manager are rather elevated: 100 megabytes of disk space!?

Total Commander remains my choice. It starts up quicker than Xyplorer, fully supports WinXP/2000/98, has integrated archive management (RAR3/RAR5 support for Win2k was recently addressed by the helpful forum members and author), and has integrated FTP with advanced configuration options related to codepages and security. So no matter how awful Microsoft makes Explorer in recent versions of Windows, I can get full control back if I can figure out how to load TC onto the system. Configuring TC to feel like Windows software takes some effort.