Should I Move to Windows 7 Ultimate

yogoman

Presently i am using windows xp on my home PC. I am using Dual core 2 GB RAM specs of my home pc. I want to ask should i move to windows 7 ultimate edition or not. Beside that Win XP for home working fine. I just used as  Ms office related works. So i installed it on my PC will it working slow? what you say?

I see upgrading as a matter of need. Do you need Windows 7 Ultimate for something? I still have a computer with XP and I see no reason to upgrade it to a newer OS. XP still allows it to do what I need of it.

Agree with you but i need some change.

Agree with you but i need some change.

Or maybe you just fancy (not need) it.

Presently i am using windows xp on my home PC. I am using Dual core 2 GB RAM specs of my home pc. I want to ask should i move to windows 7 ultimate edition or not. Beside that Win XP for home working fine. I just used as  Ms office related works. So i installed it on my PC will it working slow? what you say?

Loosely - and with a few exceptions - a new OS installed on an older machine will always be slower, in some cases VERY noticeably, and particularly with a not-so-great amount of RAM (though may other factors may concur with the added sluggishness of the system).

If your PC was manufactured/built before 2008/2009 or so and came originally with Windows XP, surely it will be noticeably slower with Windows 7.

jaclaz

Additionally...

I just used as  Ms office related works.

...what version? Office2000 has (some) issues, as well as OfficeXP and Office2003, but they do (somewhat) work. Apparently most issues is installed on 64-Bit. Office2007 works just fine. Not really sure, but AFAICR Office97 will have more issues.

DDR (slow) vs DDR2 (faster).

Obviously your CPU isn't a Socket478 (no Dual Core).

Yes, you will experience "slower" compared to XP, especially until you shut down unnecessary services.

Basically, I'm (kind of) agree with jaclaz and dencorso.

edit - BWAHAHAHAH! I meant Tripredacus. (submix8c need new glasses...)

Edited by submix8c

if he is doing just office things then he can

dual core cpu with 2 gigs of ram without page file runs win7 just fine

tho i wouldn't go for ultimate as it is filled with maximum junk

you're better off with home premium or whatever is below Professional version

Ideally Embedded is best but no user has it :P

Edited by vinifera

Solitaire is still included in the Pro edition of Windows 7, but just turned off by default.

I don't really see a reason to upgrade to Windows 7 unless of course you're running programs that absolutely require it. If you're going to do the most basic tasks with your computer, I'd personally just stick with Windows XP. MS Office 2010 will run on XP and the latest version of FireFox does as well (not sure about Chrome anymore). Windows 7 will just slow your machine down. If you want the fancy look of themes, just download the Windows Transformation Pack or something similar of DeviantArt. I'm picky so those wouldn't do for me, but for most other people, they'd work out just fine and make it feel like a different OS. But that's just my two cents.

Why not Windows 7 Home ("Basic" or "Premium"), since it is a Home computer and has 2 Gb RAM even "Starter" would do? :whistle:

jaclaz

Not to embarrass the OP or anything like that, but I think it's just that people like the sound of "Ultimate". Most people don't need "Ultimate" and it includes things that really aren't necessary for the home user but has home and pro things combined plus a few extras as well. It's kind of like buying a Lamborghini to go 3 blocks to work everyday and back. If you wanted Windows 7, I'd save your money unless you're a very hardcore power user that requires active directory domain connectivity, bitlocker, and whatever else Ultimate has built in to it.

Why not Windows 7 Home ("Basic" or "Premium"), since it is a Home computer and has 2 Gb RAM even "Starter" would do? :whistle:

jaclaz

Premium yes, basic not :P

basic is limited and its even worse since DWM is non existant if i remember (or was that starter ?)

and when you run win7 in "XP theme engine", its so choppy and broken that its nightmare

shit this NT 6 line has so many versions I can't keep track :D

Edited by vinifera

There is no kit available for one to purchase and install Windows 7 Starter onto a computer. It is one of those OS that you can only get pre-installed onto one. Home Basic is said to have an activation restriction, where you can't use the OS except for in certain countries.

If you like it more, I will gladly :) rephrase:

as:

Given the intended use as a typical Home computer, there is no reason to go for Ultimate, Home Premium would be more than enough and as a  matter of fact - had they been available - both the severely limited "Home Basic" and the even  more limited "Starter" editions might have been enough.

jaclaz

Additionally...

I just used as  Ms office related works.

...what version? Office2000 has (some) issues, as well as OfficeXP and Office2003, but they do (somewhat) work. Apparently most issues is installed on 64-Bit. Office2007 works just fine. Not really sure, but AFAICR Office97 will have more issues.

DDR (slow) vs DDR2 (faster).

Obviously your CPU isn't a Socket478 (no Dual Core).

Yes, you will experience "slower" compared to XP, especially until you shut down unnecessary services.

Basically, I'm (kind of) agree with jaclaz and dencorso.

edit - BWAHAHAHAH! I meant Tripredacus. (submix8c need new glasses...)

me using ms office 2003

Edited by yogoman