Does Vista have better privacy than Windows 7?

Bakuchris

I suppose it depends on whether or not you believe Microsoft is up to no good.

If you're one of those "tinfoil hat" people who say that people are ridiculous for being suspicious about Microsoft's recent updates, then no, you won't see anything different with Vista, other than the lack of a free Windows 10 upgrade.

However, if you are suspicious about the updates and believe that they are collecting data and forcing 10 on you, etc. then Vista would be a much better choice I'd say, if you care about updating that is. I still use Vista on all of my systems, and none of them are showing signs of suspicious activity.

Windows 10, on the other hand, when installed in a virtual machine, was constantly using up my internet. I don't know if this proves anything or not, but it makes me wonder. I haven't tested the new updates on 7, but I know some people who complain about slow internet speeds after installing all the updates, so I'm not sure if it may be due to the suspected data collection hogging up the bandwidth or not.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

I suppose you haven't read the "tinfoil hat" Topics and the associated links within?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173752-how-to-avoid-being-upgraded-to-win-10-against-your-will/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173753-how-to-avoid-being-upgraded-to-win-10-against-your-will/

(Pssst... it's called Telemetry...) Google

telemetry microsoft

:w00t:

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! (Windows 10)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt577208%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Now, one might also note that some of the Components installed into Windows7/8 are doing eactly that (to push you into Windows 10) and do precisely those things.

(Tinfoil Hats....)

Edited by submix8c

I never said they weren't used. I just made two different points to cater to those who believe that Microsoft wouldn't hurt a fly, because unfortunately, they exist...

With all the issues people are having with Windows 10 trying to force its way onto 7 and 8.1 systems, I'm staying right where I am with Vista. I'm glad Microsoft decided not to include it in the free "upgrade" to 10.

Something tells me Microsoft may extend this "upgrade" deadline just to get more people on it...

Please avoid smarta@@ crack like this.

If you're one of those "tinfoil hat" people who say that people are ridiculous for being suspicious about Microsoft's recent updates, then no, you won't see anything different with Vista, other than the lack of a free Windows 10 upgrade.
Get it???

BTW, as long as you avoid those "telemetry" thingies (Windows 10 related and *not* part of Windows 7) that get installed then there's no problem, Mr.NegativityTinFoilHatAccuser! (Or did you *not* read the links I gave?)

I have Windows7ProOEM on one of my PC's and it's just as "private" as Vista. The OP asked and you said (basically) "NOOOOO!!!!!11!!  Not better at ALL because TINFOIL!!!!111!!!!!!"

'K, thanx. ;)

I referred to them as "tinfoil hat" people, because that's what MS fanboys call those who don't trust the updates.

I'm done arguing over this. I'm just going to stick with Vista and not worry about having to avoid certain updates.

To answer the question of whether or not Vista has better privacy, I'd say yes and no. If you dont install the updates on 7, it's fine, but how do we know that MS won't push out more updates like this in the future? You could ask that same question about Vista, but seeing as how it accounts for roughly 2% compared to 7's 55%, I think it's highly unlikely.

Also, Mr.NegativityTinFoilHatAccuser? I'd expect an insult like that from a child, Mr. Inconceivable... How fitting.

If you're hesitant with updating your system, assuming you care to update at all. 7 is unfortunately a greyzone right now. I advise simply pulling the plug on the updates beyond Service Pack. I sure as heck don't feel up to a scavenger hunt to know what is harmful or not to install. Do you really think the average norm would ever consider thinking twice to use something as simple as the Windows Updater?.

So to answer your question in direct sense. I would say, yes Vista is more private, as far as recommended defaults go. Microsoft wants the end user automatically installing any given patch released. Unless found otherwise, it's clean as a whistle. If you wanna take your "foil" hat off (joke intended), run a non patched copy of 7 if you so prefer the OS.

Guess because it's Vista vs. 7 at mention, this was bound to blow up into a war somehow? With common sense and an open mind, I can speculate you won't typically run into any major error either way.

Ok, It was bugging me that I cannot have Windows update enabled with Windows 7 and I have it disabled because I friend I know told me I should disable it on Windows 7 now, augh, I still am considering running Windows Vista anyway.

Edited by Bakuchris

Ok, It was bugging me that I cannot have Windows update enabled with Windows 7 and I have it disabled because I friend I know told me I should disable it on Windows 7 now, augh, I still am considering running Windows Vista anyway.

You don't necessarily need to shut it off. Though in my opinion, more trouble than it's worth. Not like we get a nice warning label on these rogue patches.

Vista SP2 is excellent. Just ensure you have applicable hardware if you wish to use it. Best done with an Nvidia GPU. Newer Intel sockets may take a little bit of tweaking to get USB3 and chipsets up.

@Bakuchris - Please *do* read the link I gave to avoid the "tinfoil hat" Updates. It's kept constantly up-to-date, including methods to get rid of one in case it slips by. (In spite of what the Vista FanBoi thinks.)

Indeed, there's also a Windows Updates Downloader thread that specifically points to *THE LATEST* one (another forum) that *SPECIFICALLY* mentions which ones to *NOT* install and theres *ALSO* a thread here that will provide a CMD script that will install them *ALL* (the ones you want). I can attache it here if you wish. It's quite small.

NOW, manually downloading and installing will allow you to leave Windows Updates *turned off*. Be aware that Microsft Updates ("Other Products" setting) *may* be on and it's purpose is to Update Non-Windows7 MS Products.

That having been said, I have the settings on my Windows7 PC correctly set and have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with it. "Tinfoil" warnings is simply FUD. I will ALSO point out that MSFN member vinifera has long been a fan of Vista buit has *ALSO* upgraded to Windows7.

'NUFF SAID!!!!

Who do you think you are to call people out due to OS choice? Vista FanBoi? That's retarded..

I'm not suggesting you use Vista, nor vice versa. If you like 7, by all means don't feel pressured to change it. Works great for a lot of people. I personally never cared much for it, but that's subjective. Always leaned further on 8 and Vista, funny as that sounds. Have an install of Windows 8.0 (stock RTM) as well as Vista SP2. Also have a copy of Windows 7 on another partition with updates as recently published as just a few months ago. It's silly to run from an OS over updates, but it's also a pain to be caught in the crossfire fixing rogue patches too. Hence, I tend to leave my setups alone. This is a habit that dates all the way back to me using XP.

The question was, if Windows Vista was a more secure OS than 7, without any user intervention. Simply put, it is. Unless you have compelling evidence otherwise?

Thanks

Edited by 11ryanc

I think this discussion is a bit hotter than it should be lol. Here I am happily chilling with Windows XP. I don't have issues with 7 either, usually I just remove those updates that try to force win10 on.