Mother Kangaroo Holds Joey For the Last Time Before Dying

Monroe

Not much to say ... the pictures pretty much say it all.

The heart-wrenching moment a mother kangaroo reaches for her joey one last time - before dying in the arms of her male companion.

A mother kangaroo has been photographed reaching out for her joey while her male companion holds her tight

The young joey stands loyally to her side as she lays lifeless underneath the shade of a mango tree

The touching moment was captured by Evan Switzer on a bushland property in River Heads, Queensland

13 January 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3396905/The-heart-wrenching-moment-mother-kangaroo-reaches-joey-one-time-dying-arms-male-companion.html

This is the heart-wrenching moment a grieving male kangaroo cradles the head of his lifeless female companion as she reaches for her joey one last time underneath the shade of a mango tree.

Evan Switzer noticed the touching marsupial interaction while going for a walk on bushland property in River Heads, a coastal town close to Fraser Island in Queensland, on Monday morning.

'I saw the male pick up the female, he looked like he was just trying to get her up and see what was wrong with her,' he told Daily Mail Australia.

'He would lift her up and she wouldn't stand she'd just fall to the ground, he'd nudge her, stand besides her ... it was a pretty special thing, he was just mourning the loss of his mate.' 

The mother's lifeless body is propped up at the neck by the male - who appears to look solemnly ahead, overcome with sadness.

The baby kangaroo can do little but hold out its claws and touch its mother softly, before standing upright to her side in a protective stance.

Mr Switzer - a keen photographer who has been walking in the area with his dog twice a day for close to ten years - first noticed the kangaroos after hearing an unusual 'thumping sound.'

He raced back home to grab his camera and returned to find the protective male in the same position.

'I’ve travelled around a bit and you see a lot of dead roos on the side of the road – but I've never seen anything like that before,' he said.

'The male would chase the other kangaroos that came around away – he was sort of protective over the female.'

'The young one looked kind of confused, it would stand by the mother and then hop off and chew some grass, and then come right back again.'

Mr Switzer was unsure how the female - who had no visible wounds - ended up limp on the grass.

Edited by monroe

The kangaroo story has taken a twist with a new theory ... still sad for the little one.

Kangaroo in Heartbreaking 'Grieving' Photos May Actually Have Killed Its Mate

Photos of what seemed to be a heartbreaking death scene between marsupials touched the hearts of many. But experts suggest it may have been the aftermath of a kangaroo killing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/12099012/Do-these-heartbreaking-kangaroo-photos-actually-show-a-brutal-scene-of-murder.html

Helena Horton

14 Jan 2016

Pictures of a dead kangaroo dying in the arms of a male kangaroo, while her joey looked on, touched the hearts of many this week.

It looked as if the marsupials were showing human-like emotion as the female kangaroo passed away.

However, it looks as if this story has taken a shocking twist.

Experts have said the male kangaroo may not have been mourning after all.

more at link

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am sure we have stories like that. A bird in my household cling to me and would not let go at all. She was gripped tightly. Within that same week she passed in the hands of her owner. Just started to make some odd sounds and then dropped down. Yup............

I could still remember her gaze, her sounds, her flight pattern. That and every pet that passed or was in my home. But it hurts to see them pass, and have them all clinging.

Same with people. Nobody talks to my grand parent. I was taken care of them for over three years because everybody was being lazy. I have been away from em for a year or two now. Nobody tells em anything or talk with em at all. Told me "Tell me about everything, tell me how everything is". It makes me depressed. They have two kids within driving distance but they are too lazy to nightcap and they have decent paying jobs.

That is not the sad part. The sad part is the owner of the property have the right to shoot them as well. Kangaroos are pretty much treated like vermin in Australia nowadays. With all of these idiots moving there and having all of these ugly houses built right on the Kangaroo land.

Edited by ROTS