Abandonware Collection

Monroe

I just came across this site looking around for an old program ... they make this claim ...

"the biggest free abandonware downloads collection in the universe" ... there is a large number of old programs there, the claim could well be true.

It's very easy to sign up to download ... name and e-mail and they send you a password for the site.

... the more I think about it, I may have known about this site a long time back but forgot about it. Maybe some others will find it as a "new discovery". Also, click on the yellow title (OS - System - Utilty) on the top line and pages of old programs will open up.

monroe

Edited by Tripredacus
name of site removed

submix8c ... well, I didn't think about that, I will let the Moderators decide since I've already posted about it.

I appreciate the heads up ... I looked at some pages of programs but didn't see any MS items. I should have thought that out better ... oh well.

... as soon as I posted this, I did spot this MS program ... Microsoft Word for Windows 2.0c, so I guess there may be more.

Edited by monroe

Yes, there are - many. And some of the items have been corrupted (eg Split RAR's).

I suppose a MOD will have to check this out. There are (AFAICT) some true "abandonware" stuff there and/or stuff the originator no longer cares to argue about (not worth the effort for $0.00 USD gain).

(Yes, I've known about it for years and years...)

Edited by submix8c

"the biggest free abandonware downloads collection in the universe" ... there is a large number of old programs there, the claim could well be true.

The "Abandonware" term becomes a (maybe not so) grey area when you refer to (especially) MS software.

YES/NO

Abandonware term doesn't change and it doesn't matter who made the software. Abandonware is software where no one retains redistribution rights to it. This happens when:

- the company ceases to exist

- the company releases the product for free

- the copyright expires

That particular site looks more to be a software archive of (mainly) floppy disk releases. However it does contain things that are not abandonware. No Microsoft system file is redistributable, no version of Office. This one not only contains Windows and Office products, but also contains cracks for some programs that require CDs.

• 5 weeks later...

abandonware is strongly meant to be software with no claim or is not currently under license of any sort. However it is used to describe programs/apps ( from Amiga, PPC, Symbian and other various platforms ) that is no longer used in the business or entertainment world. Thus it is seen as abandon-ware.

Basically think of things you use today but on OS that only a few people remember.

I think some Abandonware could be distributed by another party under the terms of fair use, for example when you need to convert old documents to newer formats and the original company providing the software ceased to exist.

Edited by Acheron

You could say that people do upload various things. That is there business, and while I wish things could be like how they were after

the ISDA was disassembled and before 2004. Apparently the commoner is too disassociated with the topic all together.

However there is no rules against patching for the most part. I have nothing against distributing an unofficial upgraded version of something

or it's patched, or patch itself. So far I see tons of "Blender" being remodeled for the OS X Tiger/Leopard model. As well as updates for videogames as with the "Sonic-R" HD upgrade.

The bigger issue is when a big wig company gets mad at everybody for trying to keep something alive. For example I am still looking for the original language add-ons for Windows 98. I see various inputs but not the official or original add-ons that Microsoft provided on the fly all those days long ago. I really hate the language issues for that.