Win 10 Stability

NoelC

I have been hearing various folks claim Win 10 isn't very stable.

I'd have to say my experience is different, but it's pretty clear the stability of any OS can of course depend on the hardware and software installed on that hardware.

I'm running Win 10 Pro in a VMware VM only (I have chosen not to adopt it for now to run on my hardware).

As a test, 3+ days ago I booted up Win 10 and decided to leave it up, just to see what happens.  This tests against reports that Win 10 just locks up when idle, or runs shy of resources.

The system is running pretty smoothly.  An installation of Adobe Creative Cloud with Photoshop / Lightroom stressed the system, and left a couple of errors when I forcibly closed all the components I don't want running.  Plus every week at bootup it detects a USB error.  I need to disable whatever driver has gotten in because of past VM configurations.

Uptime_01_09_2016.png

I will keep monitoring it like this for as long as I don't need to reboot the VM or my host Win 8.1 system.  I'm holding off initiating Windows Updates in the VM for now as they all seem to want a reboot after.

What's been your experience regarding Windows 10 stability?

-Noel

Using 8.1 enterprise raid setup.

Windows 10 build 10586, seems to work okay.

Another box with win 10, been up since last year.

Reason other box has win 10, seems Adobe stuff

works a little better, my 2 cents, as I need

that Adobe.

Do not like accounts, etc, seems win 10 account

manager stuff is not very streamlined. For example

changing to Local Account, I have gone down a path

of new passwords, bungled logins, etc.

my 2 cents

Charl

It's all local account for me - I have ZERO cloud integration.  No OneDrive, no Cortana, no Settings Sync, no Bing.  And a firewall that doesn't allow anything that still tries to get through.

Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat run perfectly for me on Win 8.1,  so I haven't been compelled to upgrade my hardware.  I only still run Win 10 on a VM.

Up 6 days+ now.  Still fine.  Interestingly, Microsoft has finally settled down the fast pace of the cumulative updates for build 10586, which were causing reboots every time.

Uptime_01_12_2016.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

It went a couple of hours shy of 7 days before I decided to install Cumulative Update 10586.63.  I'd have waited but someone elsewhere reported that it reinstalled Cortana, and I was at a good time for a reboot.  It did NOT reinstall Cortana for me.

Reliability_01_13_2016.png

This DOES however speak to a need to more carefully manage updates than Microsoft would have us do - or use of the Defer Upgrades setting that holds the system updates back a few months.  I have jobs I schedule 24/7, so any reboot can be disruptive.  I need to PLAN when to install updates, as I have done this time.

The need to reboot after virtually every one of these Cumulative Updates, given their frequency, is unacceptable for professional use.  I go a month or longer most cycles with Win 8.1 and 7 between update-mandated reboots.  Windows 10 build 10586 has delivered cumulative updates (that mandate a reboot) every few days.

In my case, I've set things up so that I can check for available Windows Updates using the Windows Update Hiding Tool Microsoft published, but this involves a little bit of reconfiguration every time I want to perform a Windows Update operation.

FYI, neither O&O ShutUp10 nor W10Privacy have shown any privacy settings reverted with any of the updates to Win 10 build 10586 so far.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

After turning off all background programs under 10586.36, the Win 10 system was into its 6th day of running with no stalls.  Then the 10586.63 update occurred and the system stalled at the restart of the update.  The Win 10 system did the update but has stalled 2 times since.  Latest change to test Win 10 was to turn off Fast Startup in BIOS because the Fast Startup switch doesn't show up in the Win 10  software as it does on some Win 10 systems?  Time up meter is back to 2 a couple of hours.

In another forum, it was implied that older hardware can not run Windows 10 even if Microsoft is trying to update an awful lot of the old PCs.  Maybe there is some validity to that premise?

I imagine that if there are any differences at all that are important to drivers, that many older systems' drivers are faulty.  Computer makers aren't out there updating drivers for all their old computers.

FYI, I haven't seen any problems with 10586.63 at all after the cumulative update.  My test VM is up 2 days 16 hours with it so far.

Regarding validity...  Seems to me that if a user puts Win 10 on an older computer that was working fine with, say, Win 7, then it gets flaky, Microsoft wins.  The user sooner or later gets fed up and just replaces it with...  You guessed it, something new running Win 10.  Microsoft's in the hardware business now...  Anyone else see the conflict of interest there?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Heh, yeah, aww shucks, M$ missed out on a sale here....

So I get a phone call from a friend. The old Pentium 4 they've had for years.... I switched them to Windows 7 from XP long ago, is starting to feel slow.  They  run a bed and breakfast type business, and answering emails or an occasional skype call to family abroad is all it does.

Knowing they have a decent LCD screen, mouse, keyboard, printer, webcam.... I said "Okay, Lets buy an used Dell i5 small form factor PC from a government surplus type store on ebay"... We got change from $250, will be fully licensed with pre-installed Windows 7, and just copy over all their stuff.

(If this story sounds familier, I told my father to do the same thing about a year ago)

It'll be next week or so when it arrives and I go install it.... But a 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge i5-2500 with 4gig ram and a decent 'spinner' HDD will blow their socks off.  Sorry M$, they can't stump up either the cash or the reasons to buy actually new PC.  And at their age, can't be bothered to learn new ways to do the basics.

Learning new ways doesn't really adequately describe it.  If it was ONLY that, with a reasonable result in the end, people wouldn't be so wary.

It has become all about reinstalling and reinstalling Windows again and again, instead of running their applications.  The real problem is that Microsoft thinks anyone in their right mind wants to have to do more to keep the OS running.  They misconstrued the telemetry showing some people were screwing up their systems and reinstalling their OS every few months to mean that they actually WANT to do that.

-Noel

I imagine that if there are any differences at all that are important to drivers, that many older systems' drivers are faulty.  Computer makers aren't out there updating drivers for all their old computers.

FYI, I haven't seen any problems with 10586.63 at all after the cumulative update.  My test VM is up 2 days 16 hours with it so far.

Regarding validity...  Seems to me that if a user puts Win 10 on an older computer that was working fine with, say, Win 7, then it gets flaky, Microsoft wins.  The user sooner or later gets fed up and just replaces it with...  You guessed it, something new running Win 10.  Microsoft's in the hardware business now...  Anyone else see the conflict of interest there?

-Noel

I think that my latest Stall was caused by the 10586.63 update stepping on the Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions.  Just re-installed the Guest Additions and started the time-up meter.

Regarding conflict of interest:  Our Apple OS X just runs.  However, Apple makes it's own hardware.  My theory is that MS wants to do the same thing.  However, they may want all there existing customers to buy the new hardware/software combination when their old PC quits.  Saw a customer do this last week.  A few others just switch.

And the next trend: A relative just bought a new iPhone and told me that they don't need a computer, they're just going to use the iPhone!  It does all they need a computer to do!

This is where M$ thinks they can sell us on this 'continuum' idea.  Use your 'device' on ya big screen without wires.

Just that it seems in practice apparently a bit ... (Well to say completely shit would be rude) Rudimentary.

Using 'SplashTop' and hosting one of my PCs on my smartphone gives me desktop functionality on my phone using my own network.

Then using a video input type card in the said PC then I can even watch TV or Satellite, or any other media on the phone/tablet.

Bit more complex than their idea, but I still get Windows on my Android... I can even leave my network and use 3G to connect remotely.

We live in interesting times, and with a bit of effort you can build anything.

And the next trend: A relative just bought a new iPhone and told me that they don't need a computer, they're just going to use the iPhone!  It does all they need a computer to do!

I've noticed many who do that as a backup (myself included), do your self a favor a get a comfy bluetooth keyboard & mouse, you'll almost never use a PC again.

I'm beginning to think that OS Build 10586.63 may be approaching stability.  4 days up and counting.

Old PCs going from Win 7 to Win 10 (10586.63) this week have done so cleanly.  Might this be a trend?

snip

How do you have so little packages in your system? Don't you need more than just those two? In any case I want to know how you managed to properly remove so many because I've found that many packages are locked and can't be removed from an online system.