XP and malware.

Roffen

I posted to a local IT-forum about what happened as soon as i started Firefox on my latest installation of XP.

Reply:

XP is dead and buried for all I know around here. So there is not much help to get.

The problem with XP is zero control with browser processes and thereby also scripts and exploits. They run as Administrator with full access to storage areas and registry.

I can only recommend running Malawarebytes and SuperAntiSpywar (SAS).

That would be a good idea, if possible to install them before going online.

………..

Allright.

Would it be possible to clone one of my good XP installations to the SSD disk?

Besides, ought I attempt to improve my version of XP with SP4 and other improvements?

I posted to a local IT-forum about what happened as soon as i started Firefox on my latest installation of XP.

And what happened when you started Firefox?

BTW which exact version of Firefox?

Reply:

XP is dead and buried for all I know around here. So there is not much help to get.

The problem with XP is zero control with browser processes and thereby also scripts and exploits. They run as Administrator with full access to storage areas and registry.

………..

Well, most probably you asked in the wrong place. ;)

Allright.

Would it be possible to clone one of my good XP installations to the SSD disk?

Sure it is possible.

Besides, ought I attempt to improve my version of XP with SP4 and other improvements?

Well, that depends entirely on you.

The (unofficial) Service Pack 4 is a (nice) collection of all post SP3 updates + a few extras (including the "PosReady Registry hack") including (but possibly it can be avoided :unsure:) the (IMHO) mother of all evil, i.e. .Net, and it is not entirely (or perfectly) "user friendly", in the sense that you need anyway to be very careful in following install instructions, nothing terrible, still one must operate with caution, and I ma pretty sure that you will get assistance from the members of MSFN or RyanVM.net should you need it.

jaclaz

Reply:

………...

Well, most probably you asked in the wrong place. ;)

I agree: you must have asked in the wrong place, no doubt about it!

XP remains alive and kicking !!! I'm posting this from a XP SP3 machine right now!  :yes:

And what happened when you started Firefox?

BTW which exact version of Firefox?

Agreed with jaclaz, quite an important piece of information. ;)

Reply:

………..

As said, you can make Browser safer with add-ons, might also recommend using sandbox software to protect system by running inside it. Newest versions might not be compatible with XP, but the last supported for the system should be enough. might not be prefect, but most of malware don't use so sophisticated techniques to break out of the box :> Mind you that less and less producers are supporting XP, so some software might stop getting updates, or worse, be updated and start working badly. Unfortunately, this applies also to Antivirus and every other security software. Many companies decided to end support on 8th April (f.e. Avira did), but form the other hand, some producers promised to keep it up on XP "as long as possible", and this applies for Malwarebytes.

So yes, XP can be used and safe, but this demands some interest and work, to find best software and set it up properly. And I can't disagree with submix8c, proper behaviour is the most important. do not trust any external devices and attachments, do not reuse passwords for important sites, do not visit dangerous websites, double-check certificate on important sites (banks), do not share passwords with others... and many, many others :)

I didn't use this, but instead applied Registry tweak allowing Posready updates and manually installed .Net patches and Silverlight. But I cant find any objections to use this one. You just have to keep in mind it haven't been updated for over a year.

The Windows 7/8/10 Fanbois are trying to kill off XP because they think one size fits all. That's why I love MSFN, because even though we're a very diverse community when it comes to OS usage, you're very likely to find a few people here with the knowledge you want and seek. I wonder what those fanbois would think if they knew some of us still used 98 on a daily basis. :thumbup

But if worse ever came to worse, I'd more than likely hop to XP before I'd go up to the Windows NT 6 range, most of those are rubbish OSs to me in my opinion.

Edited by Tommy

My Most favourite Operating system is still is Windows 2000, I remember when I got my first laptop with it and it was amazing what it could do. I don't run it anymore but I would love to emulate it again.

My Most favourite Operating system is still is Windows 2000, I remember when I got my first laptop with it and it was amazing what it could do. I don't run it anymore but I would love to emulate it again.

I'd like to try Windows XP with the inexperience pack that allows a complete Windows 2000 appearance (right down to the actual icons)

Ah I still have the inexperience pack setup on one my hard drives to, It was great too JodyT. I had many fun times with it on my Windows XP Pro machine so many years ago.

Edited by Bakuchris

My security setup:

XP Home SP3

Trick POSReady 2009

Windows Firewall

PsExec

Black Viper's List

Norton DNS

MBAE Premium

Firefox - uBlock Origin + Noscript + Toggle Referer + HTTPS Everywhere.

No Java Installed

No Flash I.E.8

No Silverlight Installed

No NET Installed

Nothing malwares !!

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Now there is no malware on that DeviantArt link, is there?

I haven't run into any issues. I downloaded it and gave it a whirl. It's under 1MB to download I believe. But it does a great job emulating Windows 2000 icons. The one thing that irks me is in Windows Explorer, it doesn't replace the left side bar with the classic version but instead keeps the tasks/places bar. But other than that, it's worth a look at!

Hi, xp with limated acount is safest bet.

I personally donot like nt6.0 up as they are resoarce hogs.

You can use XP with 128mb of ram for most of your work where 7/8/8.1 cannot run at all.

Here's a few vids that should help

In my case I have Comodo Firewall (Blocks outgoing as well as incoming)

CCleaner

Malwarebytes Anti malware

Spybot Search and Destroy

Avast

Unofficial SP4 which has POS Ready 2009 so is being updated

PaleMoon with Noscript

It's the freebie version. When you go to their website, there are 2 options, 32bit and 64 bit.

The release (up to date ATM) is 8.2.0.4792 .

The firewall that comes with XP sp2 only controls incoming data IIRC

No wallets were dented or pennies spent securing my machine

73 de Tony