WMP9 Visualizations not working in Win2K

So I finally was able to get Windows 2000 installed in a VM for playing with old games and software, fully updated with the "unofficial" packs, IE6, and WMP9, thanks to some very helpful user suggestions including the popular guide here from @Kurt_Aust. But I noticed when trying to play some of Windows' sample MIDI files in WMP9, that those cool graphics things that play to the beat of the music, the Visualizations, don't show anything in the window when I select any of them from the menu.

Are visualizations not compatible with Win2K at all, or is there something that I may have overlooked that they need in order to play? Or something with the VM or VMs in general? I did install the Direct X 9 graphics updates, if that makes any difference. I even was able to check on Windows Update that the system is fully up-to-date (it is).

I googled "wmp9 visualizations not working windows 2000" and didn't get much more than questions about WMP12 (in Windows 7), a user-made wiki about WMP visualizations (wow, there really is a fan club for everything online), :) and finally, a suggestion to register mpvis.dll in the program folder and/or copy it to system32. I did both, and registered them in both folders -- but still no visualization when I go to play a sample MIDI file.

And I thought it would look so cool playing Beethoven with a lava lamp on the screen :(

It's running in VMWare Workstation 12, with a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit host system on a pretty modern HP laptop. I don't think the host system has anything to do with it but again I can't be too sure.

What do I need to do to get those cool visualizations working -- or do they just not jibe with 2000?

Have you checked to see if visualizations are enabled?

I have never updated the Windows Media Player on my ThinkPad; while you are running Windows 2000, WMP 9 is also the standard version included with Windows XP SP2.

wmp9xp.jpg

I don't know how you would "enable" visualizations other than by selecting them from the menu. I checked under Tools menu > Options, and there are no settings for visualizations, except under the Plug-Ins tab where you can change the full-screen resolution for only some of the collections by clicking on Properties (all except Ambience, Battery and Particle display an error message saying "this plug-in has no properties that you can set").

I just now tried another sample MIDI from C:\WINNT\Media, and the visualization still doesn't show. :(

Do you think it's got anything to do with the VMWare Tools graphics driver? Is that incompatible with the visualization graphics? Is it because I'm playing a MIDI, or a file from the Windows system folder? A buggy WMP update? Or is WMP visualization not a 2K feature at all?

Have you tried downloading any of the visualizations available here?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-media-player-visualizations

For what it's worth, features available on Windows XP may not be available on Windows 98/98SE or Windows 2000, according to this article:

http://winsupersite.com/product-review/windows-media-9-series-reviewed

http://w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wlu.htm

Please apply MS15-057 for Windows 2000.

704bbbee.png

This is My Windows 2000.

So I finally was able to get Windows 2000 installed in a VM for playing with old games and software, fully updated with the "unofficial" packs, IE6, and WMP9, thanks to some very helpful user suggestions including the popular guide here from @Kurt_Aust. But I noticed when trying to play some of Windows' sample MIDI files in WMP9, that those cool graphics things that play to the beat of the music, the Visualizations, don't show anything in the window when I select any of them from the menu.

Are visualizations not compatible with Win2K at all, or is there something that I may have overlooked that they need in order to play? Or something with the VM or VMs in general? I did install the Direct X 9 graphics updates, if that makes any difference. I even was able to check on Windows Update that the system is fully up-to-date (it is).

I googled "wmp9 visualizations not working windows 2000" and didn't get much more than questions about WMP12 (in Windows 7), a user-made wiki about WMP visualizations (wow, there really is a fan club for everything online), :) and finally, a suggestion to register mpvis.dll in the program folder and/or copy it to system32. I did both, and registered them in both folders -- but still no visualization when I go to play a sample MIDI file.

And I thought it would look so cool playing Beethoven with a lava lamp on the screen :(

It's running in VMWare Workstation 12, with a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit host system on a pretty modern HP laptop. I don't think the host system has anything to do with it but again I can't be too sure.

What do I need to do to get those cool visualizations working -- or do they just not jibe with 2000?

Edited by blackwingcat

Hi @BlackWingCat, I'm sorry but I can't read your website because it's in Japanese. I looked online for a version of that Microsoft Update (KB3033890) for Windows 2000, but can't seem to find it anywhere even mentioned as being for 2K. I downloaded an XP version linked in this thread but when I go to install it in the 2000 system it says the version of Windows I'm using is not compatible with this update.

What I can decipher in English on your blog there at livedoor.jp is a Windows Media 10 update. I'm using Media Player 9. Should I update to 10 (apparently it works with 2K?), or is there a WMP9 update? Or could you point me in the direction of a link to KB3033890 for Windows 2000 (I can only find, at minimum, XP and 2003 even at Microsoft.com), or some other solution you think might work? I'm still not sure what's going on that the visualizations don't show up.

Hi

I think you can find it easy.

CYPE9ZTUkAASq-y.png

The update supports both WMP9 and 10 for Windows 2000

Hi @BlackWingCat, I'm sorry but I can't read your website because it's in Japanese. I looked online for a version of that Microsoft Update (KB3033890) for Windows 2000, but can't seem to find it anywhere even mentioned as being for 2K. I downloaded an XP version linked in this thread but when I go to install it in the 2000 system it says the version of Windows I'm using is not compatible with this update.

What I can decipher in English on your blog there at livedoor.jp is a Windows Media 10 update. I'm using Media Player 9. Should I update to 10 (apparently it works with 2K?), or is there a WMP9 update? Or could you point me in the direction of a link to KB3033890 for Windows 2000 (I can only find, at minimum, XP and 2003 even at Microsoft.com), or some other solution you think might work? I'm still not sure what's going on that the visualizations don't show up.

Edited by blackwingcat

For what it's worth, features available on Windows XP may not be available on Windows 98/98SE or Windows 2000, according to this article:

I downloaded the "Windows Media 9 Series" visualization (wmp9viz.exe) from Microsoft.com and tried to run it. Says it will only install on XP :( I tried extracting it and installing it from the .inf but get an error: "Installation failed". :(

However, the WinSuperSite article indicates that visualizations should be available on all systems that WMP9 installs on:

However, in an effort to avoid further confusion about its feature-set, I'd like to discuss the WMP 9 features that work in all Windows versions first. Then, I'll cover those features that are XP-specific.

WMP 9 Features Available to All Users

Advanced visualizations - Thanks to its new extensible architecture, WMP 9 features a new visualizations plug-in engine, so that third parties can more easily create their own visualizations. To those new to WMP, visualizations are animated color displays that can optionally play during music playback. WMP 9 ships with a set of visualizations that are virtually identical to MPXP, including Album Art view, Ambience, Bars and Waves, Battery, Particle, Plenoptic, Spikes, Tolerance, and Musical Colors. And you can download other visualizations from the Windows Media Web site.

So I don't know what could be causing the visualizations to be blank. I do notice that in the program folder, there's a subfolder "Visualizations" which is empty; however, mpvis.dll (Windows Media Visualizations DLL) is in this folder and in system32, and both have been registered with regsvr32.exe. I'm guessing that this subfolder is for additional downloaded visualizations like the ones above, then? Or might they actually be missing from the install? I would think not, and that they're actually coded into mpvis.dll, but maybe that's just the "engine" that enables them to run?

Hi

CYPE9ZTUkAASq-y.png

Hi Blackwingcat, I found the link on your Windows Legacy Update site to translate into English. I did a search through the "manual update" looking for all Windows 2000 updates in English or multilanguage. There are quite a few of them! However I did a Ctrl+F on this page for both "3033890" and "MS15-057" and no results were found. Is it buried somewhere else and might I be missing something? Or would it be better if I updated to 10 using the "Extended Kernel"/"KDW" version linked to on this site? :}

I downloaded the "Windows Media 9 Series" visualization (wmp9viz.exe) from Microsoft.com and tried to run it. Says it will only install on XP :( I tried extracting it and installing it from the .inf but get an error: "Installation failed". :(

However, the WinSuperSite article indicates that visualizations should be available on all systems that WMP9 installs on:

Hi

CYPE9ZTUkAASq-y.png

Hi Blackwingcat, I found the link on your Windows Legacy Update site to translate into English. I did a search through the "manual update" looking for all Windows 2000 updates in English or multilanguage. There are quite a few of them! However I did a Ctrl+F on this page for both "3033890" and "MS15-057" and no results were found. Is it buried somewhere else and might I be missing something? Or would it be better if I updated to 10 using the "Extended Kernel"/"KDW" version linked to on this site? :}

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1920029.html

The compatibility reason was written by me here. (Japanese)

If you can use binary editior

replace from "ntoskrl.exe" to 'shlwapi.dll' + nul in wm9viz.exe

Perhaps you can find with using keyword like this picture expample "media" or date 2015 June

Edited by blackwingcat

Hi Blackwingcat,

I'm getting somewhere now (I hope)!  :blushing:  I was able to find the KB3033890 update on your Legacy Updates site and it installed correctly. But, and I sincerely apologize as this seems to be a language issue (not your fault -- Google might do everything else at space-age levels, but their translation engine is awful), I am a little confused by what you mean by this:

and the instructions on your site, which I ran through Google translate:

That workaround is this ... by renaming the ntoskrnel.exe, and throw been pulling the ntoskrnl.exe such as Windows XP and 7 from the security update, or, version is throw rename the 5.1 or more of the DLL

It moved easily! Let's return to the moving After the original

You will not start it and forget

Note: After returning to the work in the absence of ntoskrnl.exe to dllcache, so will be overwritten, and you try to check before restart.

Does this mean I should try replacing ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 2000 with an XP version? It looks that way from the screenshot, as there is a newer ntoskrnl.exe compared to the ntoskrnl.exe.bak file.

From the other screenshot it appears that I would be replacing the string "ntoskrnl.exe" with "shlwapi.dll" in that line of VERCHECK. Would shlwapi.dll also have to be borrowed from XP (if ntoskrnl.exe also does), or is the 2000 native one all right to use? What does the "nul" part refer to in the first quote, i.e. would I be leaving some parts of this string blank?

Is Resource Hacker considered a binary editor or is another program necessary?

Again, I apologize for my noobishness and the language barrier, but I just want to be sure I'm doing everything correctly. Thanks so much for your patience :)

There are two way to execute it.

1. Using binary editor

it is safety.

Resource hacker can't replace string in VERCHECK so you should use binary editor.

2. Using to replace file

it is dangerous and take easy.

Hi Blackwingcat,

I'm getting somewhere now (I hope)!  :blushing:  I was able to find the KB3033890 update on your Legacy Updates site and it installed correctly. But, and I sincerely apologize as this seems to be a language issue (not your fault -- Google might do everything else at space-age levels, but their translation engine is awful), I am a little confused by what you mean by this:

and the instructions on your site, which I ran through Google translate:

That workaround is this ... by renaming the ntoskrnel.exe, and throw been pulling the ntoskrnl.exe such as Windows XP and 7 from the security update, or, version is throw rename the 5.1 or more of the DLL

It moved easily! Let's return to the moving After the original

You will not start it and forget

Note: After returning to the work in the absence of ntoskrnl.exe to dllcache, so will be overwritten, and you try to check before restart.

Does this mean I should try replacing ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 2000 with an XP version? It looks that way from the screenshot, as there is a newer ntoskrnl.exe compared to the ntoskrnl.exe.bak file.

From the other screenshot it appears that I would be replacing the string "ntoskrnl.exe" with "shlwapi.dll" in that line of VERCHECK. Would shlwapi.dll also have to be borrowed from XP (if ntoskrnl.exe also does), or is the 2000 native one all right to use? What does the "nul" part refer to in the first quote, i.e. would I be leaving some parts of this string blank?

Is Resource Hacker considered a binary editor or is another program necessary?

Again, I apologize for my noobishness and the language barrier, but I just want to be sure I'm doing everything correctly. Thanks so much for your patience :)

Edited by blackwingcat