RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

2 minutes ago, winnt5 said:

It's strange.When I use msimg32.dll from windows2k.The browser doesn't even run.I recieve an error can't find GdiGradientFill on gdi32.dll.

you may grabbed wrong version.

jAFca0t.png

8 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

you may grabbed wrong version.

jAFca0t.png

This is the version from windowsme.I've tried this but it still can't render the background picture in the web page.

20 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

Thank you very much.But it still can't render the background.I will have more tries to fix it.:rolleyes:

Can your virtual machine display images on pages correctly with the firefox3.6?

Edited by winnt5

On 4/26/2020 at 9:33 AM, roytam1 said:

Finally, I fouind the problem. It is a bug of 20171108 version. I tried 20171025 version and It works just fine.
I found the problem is in xul.dll. Did you add some functions in 20171108 version? 20171025 version can't show small windows in web pages. 20171108 version can show them but doesn't display normaly in nt4. I only know this is because xul.dll. Do you have a solution of this?

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, i430VX said:

Does anyone have a solution for installing browser add-ons? Currently RZ complains about not being able to validate add-on signing.

You might try deleting the "META-INF" folder from the .XPI archive (do it on a copy of the file for safety's sake). 

This has worked for me with Firefox 3 plugins, but i can't say if Retrozilla will install it.  

Thank you, it did install.
Either, it doesnt actually work, or I cannot figure out how to use add-ons in RZ. I notice the lack of an about:addons page, and it doesnt show up in the only other place i could think of, the about:plugins page.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i430VX. RetroZilla typically requires extensions that are SeaMonkey v1.1.19 compatible, very old release. The first post in the RetroZilla Community Edition thread provides information and links regarding the RetroZilla Extensions Collection, other extensions that may work, plus information on extension hacking and extension removal tips.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/181416-retrozilla-community-edition/

As you've discovered, this old browser does not have about:addons or anything like that. The function and interface with the extension is dependent on it's design. Depending on the extension, this may be additional controls in the drop down menu, right-click context menu, browser preferences, status bar, etc.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone successfully used RetroZilla's Mail & Newsgroups module as an email client? I just got around to trying it with my AOL and Spectrum email accounts, but I can't get it to work. I've entered the correct IMAP port numbers, etc., and tried different security settings ("TLS, if available" vs. "TLS", "Use secure authentication" checked and unchecked), but to no avail: with AOL, connecting soon results in an "Unable to connect to your IMAP server" dialog, while with Spectrum it sits there until the connection times out. I even tried AOL's POP3 server settings, but it tries connecting for a bit then just stops without any error message. In all cases it never gets to the point of prompting me for a password. I've tried both Roytam1's 2.2 build (with updated TLS support) and the official 2.2 release. My primary email client is still Thunderbird 52.9.1 on a Vista system, so I wouldn't think a requirement for some ultra-recent TLS cipher is the culprit. I don't really need to have this working, but it would be cool to use it to access my email on my NT 4.0 system...

Edited by loblolly986

Not the answer you expected but hoping it could help. Personally I've only been using POP Peeper from Esumsoft for POP3/IMAP accounts for years under 98SE and XP. I'm still using it now through Wine under Linux Mint, because all Linux e-mail clients I've tried are lousy and nowhere near my personal taste. The free version doesn't allow access to folders other than Inbox but that may not be such a big issue. At least one can check their messages and reply/compose.

There is one thing about AOL. Dunno if you received the notification but starting this June they will implement something on their servers that will kick out many well-known e-mail clients. Logging in may require a master password or something like that, and I'm not sure which clients will be able to fulfill this requirement. Not even sure about POP Peeper but we'll just have to wait and see. If need to I will delete my AOL account and they may go to hełł with their draconic measures. I've already deleted GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo accounts years ago.

Yeah, not very helpful to your question, but I used to use Outlook Express (and currently have installed msimn 6.0.2900.5512 on my devices, but it won't even start even when 'enabled', so I leave it 'disabled'). To be honest, back when I was still using it (perhaps around 2013) I was shocked at just how vulnerable it (actually) was - my Hotmail was severely hacked and to this day, I can not recover it. I've lost my hotmail and netzero emails to hacking back when i was using POP3 - I was clueless about internet security ... so I guess I learned the 'hard way'. Sorry to say, sometimes, those you trust and consider to be your "best friends" are the ones to watch out for the most. Now, in my late 40's, I've learnt that 'trust should be earned; not given'.

Edited by XPerceniol
typos ... sorry

6 hours ago, Drugwash said:

There is one thing about AOL. Dunno if you received the notification but starting this June they will implement something on their servers that will kick out many well-known e-mail clients. Logging in may require a master password or something like that, and I'm not sure which clients will be able to fulfill this requirement. Not even sure about POP Peeper but we'll just have to wait and see. If need to I will delete my AOL account and they may go to hełł with their draconic measures. I've already deleted GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo accounts years ago.

Yeah, I got notification emails about that. From looking at their help page about it, I get the impression that AOL will simply be requiring that clients support OAuth 2.0 (or "OAuth2") authentication for normal usage, and users of those that don't will need to generate special "app passwords" in their AOL account settings to use with such clients. Thunderbird 52.9.1 offers "OAuth2" as an "Authentication method" option in the server settings for one's accounts, so I suspect I'll be covered in that regard, though the "Normal password" option still works for now so this wouldn't seem to explain why I can't get RetroZilla to work as a client.