RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

2 hours ago, AeonG said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!

It's absolutely wonderful to have a "newer" web browser I can use on Windows 98 for fun.

Sorry if I somehow missed this answer, but will this browser ever be able to view newer SSL locked websites? It would be great to have greater access to the internet on my old machine, even if the webpages don't display correctly.

Please try TLS 1.2 enabled build:

But other than that, you may encounter rendering issues and javascript issues with modern websites.

Bad news I'm afraid :(

FIREFOX caused a stack fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7429f.

Registers:

EAX=81b7e938 CS=0177 EIP=bff7429f EFLGS=00000287

EBX=00000000 SS=017f ESP=0156208c EBP=015620a0

ECX=c167fab0 DS=017f ESI=81bf8c40 FS=344f

EDX=bffcd490 ES=017f EDI=bff77716 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

eb 95 8b 54 24 04 50 e8 04 00 00 00 58 c2 04 00

Stack dump:

bff741f7 bffcd490 bff8433d bffcd490 81b7e881 015620c0 bff99781 0233b320 01165836 0233b320 000005dc 0233b320 015620d4 015620d4 01160c9e 0233b320

I gotta sleep soon, but to the best of my knowledge, the only oddities I know of is this (obviously) is not being ran from a virtual machine, I installed all the updates from the 2007 98se autopatcher (I couldn't get access to the newer 2008 autopatch for 98se, I'll try again soon if it means anything), the hard drive is big, KernelEX is not installed, and I'm using an XP era video card. Sorry, I'm not as experienced with this stuff as you guys are, I hope I'm being some kind of help with this information. If you need me to find anything else to help, just ask.

rzerror.png

Edited by AeonG

On 13.10.2017 at 7:46 AM, rn10950 said:

2.1 is out!

I changed many of the default security popup dialogs ("you are entering/leaving a secure site") to be disabled by default, as most people consider them to be annoying, I disabled the sidebar opening every time you search from the urlbar, added the StartPage search engine (Google results without the tracking), added a few urlbar keywords to search easier, and added an update notification to the default home page.

Any issues please let me know.

Download RetroZilla 2.1

I've just downloaded this browser and as far as I can tell it seems to be working fine (on Windows 95B from '96).

It's a nice idea to have a basic browser for Windows 95 but I think it would even make more sense to use something like KMeleon because as far as I know it uses Windows stuff as a GUI and not the XUL stuff that all these Firefox derivates come with.

What this means for the end-user is that it uses less memory and launches faster and that really is quite an important thing on an older computer.

Just saying...

• 2 weeks later...

Have you looked at Classilla? http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

It's an updated Mozilla suite for MacOS 9 I know the interface code would be useless but maybe they've already fixed or backported code we could reuse?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 1:18 PM, jholt5638 said:

Have you looked at Classilla? http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

It's an updated Mozilla suite for MacOS 9 I know the interface code would be useless but maybe they've already fixed or backported code we could reuse?

Yes. The version of Mozilla that Classilla is forked from is older than ours.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been toying with Retrozilla, YouTube and VLC. So far by changing the User Agent to custom one identifying the browser as Opera Mobile 12.02 running on Windows CE I can get youtube to display the basic mobile version from there I can right click on the Watch Video link and copy the address and paste it into VLC. I haven't figured out how to register the rtsp protocol to open VLC in Retrozilla. I have been able to use the same trick on Opera 12.02 on Win98 and get Opera to open VLC automatically. It's not hi quality video but it is youtube in a form

Edited by jholt5638

For anyone interested, in getting Retrozilla, VLC, and youtube to play together.

This was tested on Windows 98 SE USP3.57 + 98SE2ME + 98MP10, Retrozilla 2.1, and VLC 0.8.6d.

1. We need to register VLC as the default application for RSTP. To do this, paste the following in notepad and save it as rtsp.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp]
@="URL:RTSP Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\videolan\\vlc.exe\" %1"

2. Double click rtsp.reg and click okay to merge it into the registry

3. Point retrozilla to https://m.youtube.com/?persist_app=1&app=m

This forces the mobile site of youtube and make it stick for the session

4. search for a video and click on it