RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

@roytam1 I tried applying your TLS files and building, and I have gotten errors involving WINVER being set as 0x0500 not 0x0400 which is required by WIn95 and NT 4, as well as an error in win95thred,c have you gotten these errors before? What OS have you been testing on? Could you send me a completed binary of what you included in the screenshot for me to play around with? (retrozilla.exe along with all the dlls and subfolders [dist/bin])

20 minutes ago, rn10950 said:

@roytam1 I tried applying your TLS files and building, and I have gotten errors involving WINVER being set as 0x0500 not 0x0400 which is required by WIn95 and NT 4, as well as an error in win95thred,c have you gotten these errors before? What OS have you been testing on? Could you send me a completed binary of what you included in the screenshot for me to play around with? (retrozilla.exe along with all the dlls and subfolders [dist/bin])

As you see it my screenshot, I used it in XP so no errors to me.

Since I don't build with WINVER=0x400 (as my build is VC2003 build) I don't know whats going on here.
If you can post compilation error log I think I can help BTW.

for my binaries I can only have it some hours later since it is 1am here and I need some sleep and apply patches in issue #8 and #9 first after I wake up.

Edited by roytam1

Well, I think that's the problem right there. RetroZilla was designed to build under VC6 and to run under Win95 and NT4. IIRC VC2K3 can't target OSes before Win98 or NT5 (2K). When you get your binaries to me, I could test them on my 95 and NT4 test VMs, and if it works, I'll try to get the code to build, or upgrade my environment to VC2K3.

For now, I'm gonna roll back the code to before I added the TLS patch and keep the patches handy, I'm gonna push out that small 2.x release I was taking about a few weeks ago, and ship the TLS patch in the next major version.

I guess this problem will eventually lead to the problem of: should we focus on 98SE+ compatibility with more features, or keep 95 compatibility with some limitations, or perhaps make two versions, or maybe I'm just dumb thinking,

6 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

I guess this problem will eventually lead to the problem of: should we focus on 98SE+ compatibility with more features, or keep 95 compatibility with some limitations, or perhaps make two versions, or maybe I'm just dumb thinking,

Personally, I want to stay with 95 compatibility because KernelEx works on 98/ME and not 95.

13 hours ago, rn10950 said:

https://github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/issues/7#issuecomment-334908527

NSPR supplement patch for VC6 posted.

*EDIT: will repost whole replacement later.

Edited by roytam1

my VC2003 test build is here: http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/rzbrowser-tls12.7z

EDIT: VC6 build some kind of works. http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/rzbrowser-tls12-vc6.7z
but SSL is not working in my freshly installed win95 osr2.
I can only use conservative optimize flags like: ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -G6"

Actually VC71 build works more better in Win95 OSR2 besides SSL is still not working.

See below!

Edited by roytam1

40 minutes ago, CrazyPresea said:

nice to see this project is still active, just tried this on my (slightly modded) install of nt 3.51, haven't had any issues so far.

It works on NT 3.51? Never knew. If I may ask, what kind of modifications did you do? If I could get it to reliably work on vanilla NT 3.51 (with SP5), I will support it officially.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:47 AM, CrazyPresea said:

nice to see this project is still active, just tried this on my (slightly modded) install of nt 3.51, haven't had any issues so far.

By my binaries or official rz2.0?
I doesn't test my build on NT 3.51 yet.

BTW I'm still trying to get fx3.6 build with VC2003(as my old effort some years ago, and now I pick it up again), and chromium ipc library hurts. :P
EDIT: so --disable-ipc switch is used. and now struggling in widget folder.

EDIT2: Build success but crash on startup, need more debugging.

EDIT3: Back to origin - Build works in XP but not NT4, firefox.exe exits immediately once started on NT4. Trying to build a DEBUG build of 3.0b1 and run on NT4 to see which component causing issue.

EDIT4: Seems to me Mutex problem?

Edited by roytam1

25 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

By my binaries or official rz2.0?
I doesn't test my build on NT 3.51 yet.

BTW I'm still trying to get fx3.6 build with VC2003(as my old effort some years ago, and now I pick it up again), and chromium ipc library hurts. :P

The official source tree. If the tree built by VC6 works on NT3.51, we could try to backport the TLS patches to build on VC6 and add NT3.51 to the supported OS list.

Edited by rn10950

14 minutes ago, rn10950 said:

The official source tree. If the tree built by VC6 works on NT3.51, we could try to backport the TLS patches to build on VC6 and add NT3.51 to the supported OS list.

Does your VC6 build works on Win95? If so it should work on NT 3.51 as well.