RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

1 minute ago, Yushatak said:

I actually just scoured the NoScript version history and found the last to support Seamonkey 1.1 was NoScript 1.10. They list by Firefox version and by Seamonkey version, not Mozilla version, so I'm not sure how to tell if something is compatible with a specific codebase. I assume Seamonkey 1.1.x is Mozilla 1.8.1?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/noscript/versions/?page=25#version-1.10

About to try to install/use this one with RetroZilla.

I just downloaded 1.10 and it works w/ RetroZilla. I just got to upload it to the hosting provider so it can be accessed by going to Tools => Get Extensions.

38 minutes ago, Yushatak said:

Happened across a similar project (not a maintained one, a one-off) that you could perhaps integrate some fixes/tricks from: http://toastytech.com/files/95browsing.html

Doesn't render MSFN's forum any better, but there may well be some gains to be found here.

Those sources are already integrated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2016 at 3:05 PM, pionner said:

How is work going with next version? :)

Good, I already got cursor:none and content:none added, two simple bugs. I am currently juggling a lot of personal projects, which was a major cause of delay, but I since adopted a new project schedule. Every Wednesday, I will backport one or two bugs to rzGecko, I should have ACID2 (my current goal) by September.

• 5 weeks later...

This is an excellent project so far, I've run it on an old IBM ThinkPad (Pentium II 400) on 95 OSR2, seems to run better than my modded Opera 10.63 ;)

Wonder if once Firefox drops XP/Vista support we might see a project similar to TenFourFox (for PPC Macs) to continue support on Windows 2000/XP/Vista as well? Sadly even Firefox 3.6 under KernelEx is starting to become rather useless IME, but it's always nice to see old OSes alive and well

• 2 weeks later...

RETROZILLA STATUS UPDATE:

OK, after a few weeks I had to take off due to various offline issues, I'm back to working on RetroZilla. I recently got an SSD in the laptop that I use to work on RZ, so I can now compile the whole thing in about 15-20 minutes (down from about an hour), which will allow for faster development. But of course, with every step forward, we must go two steps backward. I recently found out that Mozilla shut down MXR, the main site for looking through and searching the Mozilla source code, past and present versions. DXR, the replacement, is a major learning curve from MXR, and the search function is a major regression from MXR. Not to mention all of the broken links to MXR.

On 7/31/2016 at 9:58 PM, danikayser84 said:

This is an excellent project so far, I've run it on an old IBM ThinkPad (Pentium II 400) on 95 OSR2, seems to run better than my modded Opera 10.63 ;)

Wonder if once Firefox drops XP/Vista support we might see a project similar to TenFourFox (for PPC Macs) to continue support on Windows 2000/XP/Vista as well? Sadly even Firefox 3.6 under KernelEx is starting to become rather useless IME, but it's always nice to see old OSes alive and well

I honestly don't think that Firefox will drop XP/Vista support anytime soon. Google Chrome did because, well, Google. They're known to drop support for older, but perfectly capable, technologies. The latest versions of Firefox are built using MSVC 2015, which is both the latest version and supports XP targets. The reason why Windows 9x and 2000 support was dropped was because the version of MSVC they're using dropped support for 9x/2k targets. I can see at least another 2-3 years of XP/Vista support.

4 hours ago, rn10950 said:

The reason why Windows 9x and 2000 support was dropped was because the version of MSVC they're using dropped support for 9x/2k targets.

Interesting. Would it be possible to compile the code in an older version of MSVC that still supports those targets? I'd imagine it'd be very nontrivial, but is it possible?

c

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...