RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

I just found this and will give it a shot on my Windows 98Se machine when I get home. I'm glad someone is working on something like this. I use to code back in the late 90's and early 2000's but I've forgotten all that long ago. I did use VB6 and some C++.

I just read everything from the start. I can relate to the family issues. I've been gone for a few years due to my father who has prostate cancer. He passed Sept 2016 and I'm just now getting back into classic computing.

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Heard Classilla-9.3.3 ported newer JS engine, I managed to make it work in win32.
Don't know if we can integrate it to retrozilla.

Phoenix-0.5 with Classilla-9.3.3 fixes:
https://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/phoenix-0.5-cl933.7z

repo: https://github.com/roytam1/classilla/tree/phoenix

keep us updated on the browsers, i specifically want to know what will be the latest release that also works on windows 95 as i would like to update it to that, i currently have firefox reading version "1.8.20180.50420" for the file version, also with this whole tls thing, is tls 1.2 supposed to be backwards compatible with older tls versions, sorry if it may be a noob question but i just don't understand any of these, i also heard of ssl and you also mentioned js engine, does having higher versions for any of these mean more compatibility or functionality? 

a quick search on ssl 3.0 through wikipedia shows that it was released in 1996, so i guess your browsers already come with the latest version being ssl 3.0. did you say your web browser for windows 95 had tls 1.2 support? 1.3 is shown to be the newest. 

Edited by cov3rt

7 hours ago, cov3rt said:

keep us updated on the browsers, i specifically want to know what will be the latest release that also works on windows 95 as i would like to update it to that, i currently have firefox reading version "1.8.20180.50420" for the file version, also with this whole tls thing, is tls 1.2 supposed to be backwards compatible with older tls versions, sorry if it may be a noob question but i just don't understand any of these, i also heard of ssl and you also mentioned js engine, does having higher versions for any of these mean more compatibility or functionality? 

a quick search on ssl 3.0 through wikipedia shows that it was released in 1996, so i guess your browsers already come with the latest version being ssl 3.0. did you say your web browser for windows 95 had tls 1.2 support? 1.3 is shown to be the newest. 

newer JS engine means faster js execution and better functionality.

phoenix-0.5 is TLS 1.0 capable.

TLS 1.3 can be done if you fix all C/C++ syntax and new API calls to something VC6 accepts in NSS and NSPR, otherwise only TLS 1.2 and below are available via NSS 3.15.5.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:04 PM, roytam1 said:

Heard Classilla-9.3.3 ported newer JS engine, I managed to make it work in win32.
Don't know if we can integrate it to retrozilla.

Phoenix-0.5 with Classilla-9.3.3 fixes:
https://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/phoenix-0.5-cl933.7z

repo: https://github.com/roytam1/classilla/tree/phoenix

so @rn10950 started looking into it. https://github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/issues/18

@roytam1 Have you run into certificate issues?  I checked the Mozilla CA file in NSS and there are no root certificates in that file that are not in ours. I get this issue in both Win98 and my Win2k dev machine, both with BlackWingCat's root certificate update for 2018 installed. Do not have an XP+ machine with RZ to test on, but I don't think that will matter, as I have a semi-recent version of SeaMonkey working on Win2k with the updated kernel with no certificate issues.

I took this screenshot of Retrozilla 2.0 running on Windows NT4. Strangely I couldn't run Retrozilla 2.1 on NT4 as it just crashes.

Maybe it's the lack of virtual ram/memory that causes it to crash, I run windows NT4 on VirtualBox.

1942266401_NT4screenshot.thumb.png.6bd9ffb90b8d99df85dea89b286169e9.png

Edited by audiobotdude03
Final edit.

18 minutes ago, audiobotdude03 said:

I took this screenshot of Retrozilla 2.0 running on Windows NT4. Strangely I couldn't run Retrozilla 2.1 on NT4 as it just crashes.

Maybe it's the lack of virtual ram/memory that causes it to crash, I run windows NT4 on VirtualBox.

1942266401_NT4screenshot.thumb.png.6bd9ffb90b8d99df85dea89b286169e9.png

It works for me Retrozilla 2.1. Maybe is your machine.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:29 AM, slayer1994 said:

It works for me Retrozilla 2.1. Maybe is your machine.

Sorry for the late reply, but I made a new installation of Windows NT4, and strangely enough, it worked, the browser did not crash at all. Strangely enough, I set the virtual memory by around 815 MB.

The Retrozilla version I installed on the new NT4 installation in Virtualbox is Version 2.1, as seen in this screenshot I took.

PS: I got the SeaMonkey port of the "Orbit" theme, applied in this browser, it looks pretty cool.

1125823193_WindowsNT4Screenshot3edited.thumb.png.c5993da2cb785c0b28acda1a56628ba4.png

Edited by audiobotdude03
Gammar and spacing fixes.

51 minutes ago, audiobotdude03 said:

Sorry for the late reply, but I made a new installation of Windows NT4, and strangely enough, it worked, the browser did not crash at all. Strangely enough, I set the virtual memory by around 815 MB.

The Retrozilla version I installed on the new NT4 installation in Virtualbox is Version 2.1, as seen in this screenshot I took.

PS: I got the SeaMonkey port of the "Orbit" theme, applied in this browser, it looks pretty cool.

CUT

Glad you solved :)

Edited by slayer1994

• 3 weeks later...

Hi...

Downloaded and tested on my Win98SE Machine (real HW)... I have some problems (I guess it is something with the configuration) almost every site I try to connect to throws an Alert

That RetroZilla can't connect securely, some sites "seems" to load, but many others do not. Is this fixable or is it some error with the browser that will be fixed in the future,
if the developer(s) want's to ?

retrozilla_sslerr.jpg

On 7/7/2018 at 4:04 AM, Azvareth said:

Hi...

Downloaded and tested on my Win98SE Machine (real HW)... I have some problems (I guess it is something with the configuration) almost every site I try to connect to throws an Alert

That RetroZilla can't connect securely, some sites "seems" to load, but many others do not. Is this fixable or is it some error with the browser that will be fixed in the future,
if the developer(s) want's to ?

retrozilla_sslerr.jpg

could you please try replacing program files with this?
http://o.rths.cf/gpc/files1.rt/rz-suite-v2.2-bin-20180708.7z

Edited by roytam1