RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4 [2.2 RELEASED]

rn10950  ... nice project, I tried it  with XP and it works very well. I know there are more improvements - changes in the future. I'm only asking ... I might have missed it.

Is there a setting to automatically clean everything when the browser is shut down? ... cookies, history and such?

Really works great on XP ... so far anyway.

thanks

Monroe, on my computer I have CCleaner setup to delete the "cookies.txt" file that is stored in the C:\Windows\Application Data\RetroZilla\default\profiles\x76df6j6 folder. This has taken care of the cookies at least. But like you, I'm wondering, which files can I delete so as to get rid of the history, passwords, and whatever else.

SeaMonkey 1.1.19 never had the option to erase user data on exit, as I believe later versions of SeaMonkey implemented - starting with SeaMonkey version 2. Even Firefox 2, K-Meleon 1.5, and Netscape 9 had this feature before SeaMonkey did.

I think with just CCleaner you can probably take care of everything, just need to know which files can be erased :-)

re: CCleaner - the answer is yes. I use it to clear out *all* UserProfile TEMP content as well as *all* Temporary Internet Files (IE folders used for Googling).

Are basically all the files in Application Data\Profiles\ folder disposable? It ain't going to ruin the program if I clear out everything in there? Well, except the Cache, I want to keep that. Thanks.

Edited by ZortMcGort11

re: CCleaner - the answer is yes. I use it to clear out *all* UserProfile TEMP content as well as *all* Temporary Internet Files (IE folders used for Googling).

Are basically all the files in Application Data\Profiles\ folder disposable? It ain't going to ruin the program if I clear out everything in there? Well, except the Cache, I want to keep that. Thanks.

NO. All your bookmarks, add-ons, settings, etc are kept in your profile folder. You can trash the folders after you use them, but you will have to create a new profile every time.

Okay, thanks :-)

So is there an exact file containing the browsing history then? I think I've established that "Cookies.txt" contains the cookies, correct? I've already added that file to CCleaner's custom list of items to delete, and it seems to have worked. Therefore, all that remains is figuring out a way to wipe the history.

Edited by ZortMcGort11

Okay, thanks :-)

So is there an exact file containing the browsing history then? I think I've established that "Cookies.txt" contains the cookies, correct? I've already added that file to CCleaner's custom list of items to delete, and it seems to have worked. Therefore, all that remains is figuring out a way to wipe the history.

Found it. In your profile folder (%appdata%\RetroZilla\Profiles\<folder x>\<folder y>\), you will see a file named history.dat. Delete that whenever you close the browser, and you will be fine. (You can even write a batch file to do it for you)

Edited by rn10950

ZortMcGort11, rn10950 ...

Thanks for the information on cleaning ... I found a couple of web pages that did not open completely but most have so far. Just wanted to experiment with RetroZilla and see how it would work on XP.

I will continue to follow your project.

Deleting history.dat and cookies does NOT clear Location Bar History. This might be an issue for users who share computers. Another issue it that passwords can be seen in Password Manager. Is there a way to encrypt or add a way so that it is not viewed incase one is snooping around. Add a login feature to view it or something. IDK

If you click on Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security.... then there is a box there for checking "remember passwords." I always un-check that box.

I'm on a shared computer, and that's what I've always done to ensure nobodys passwords magically appear at every log in screen.

Edited by ZortMcGort11

Personally I think it would be more useful - and maybe easier in the long run - to take a more recent version of a browser that already has certain much-needed options implemented and patch the code so that it can be run on 95/NT4/98/98SE/ME (without the need of KernelEx or other unofficial fixes).

I myself am running Firefox 13 on XP-SP4 and not going to move away from it ever. If that version (and compatible add-ons) could be made to run in 9x it would be perfect.

Actually it would be perfect if it didn't require that much memory in the first place.

(typo)

Edited by Drugwash

Disregard the post, feature already implemented. Thanks

Setting a Master Password encrypts your passwords.

@ Drugwash

I agree, we should have an updated browser that don't requires unofficial packs, whether it be SP3, KEX, 982ME etc....

Not everyone use or want these packages installed on their systems.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152624-experimental-firefox-7-build-for-windows-98/

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD