The obesity of web pages

jaclaz

I would be interested in having you guys critique my site. Please be honest and brutal if needed.

Www.wpiw.net

I think I might benefit from your opinions

You'd better IMNSHO:

1) start a new, dedicated thread to these comments

2) Remove IMMEDIATELY :w00t: from your site this crappy flickering .gif:

Mainani.gif

as it could easily induce epilepsy to a number of people :ph34r: (to me it has the effect of becoming very, very angry at the web designer ;)).

Code (index)

- show_ad.js from GoogleSyndication is present multiple times.

Design

- the first 5 links in the top menu go to other pages. As such, it is expected that the 6th link (download) would also go to a page. Instead it prompts to download a file. This is also true on the left image that links to the download.

Overall, I think your website is AOK! You even put alt attributes on your img tags (that XHTML 1.0 Transitional deems so holy) that I would have given you a pass on. :)

I would be interested in having you guys critique my site. Please be honest and brutal if needed.

Www.wpiw.net

You'd better IMNSHO:

1) start a new, dedicated thread to these comments

2) Remove IMMEDIATELY :w00t: from your site this crappy flickering .gif:

Mainani.gif

as it could easily induce epilepsy to a number of people :ph34r: (to me it has the effect of becoming very, very angry at the web designer ;)).

Great point on the gif. It'll definitely go after your point.

Wordpress is a mess in about every way these days.  Not just in terms of a bloated web design.  Most of the tools they've recently reworked are pretty bad, too.   For instance, the new editor is neigh unusable if you plan on doing posts that are beyond simple doodles.  And yet, they haven't fixed any of the standing issues that have existed in the service for years (fuzzy tracking for instance).  Now granted, all the script blockers and things of that sort have pretty much killed that kind of functionality, it's still pretty bad when you have it reporting traffic that you have no clue about in one fashion or another even after you read the report.

Granted, I'm not sure Blogspot or anything else is better.

Edit, since I don't want to double-post: Most of the web pages have a problem with ads, which an ad blocker most always fixes.  The problem usually is that most won't begrudge an occasional ad in moderation that won't screw with bandwidth or user-experience all that much, but when someone comes along and gets plain abusive, the ad and script blockers become absolutely necessary.  A great example is a page full of flash, style sheets, etc that takes 2 minutes to load on higher end broadband.  latimes.com.  The current heavyweight champion in my web browsing world with respect to obesity.  They ask for their ads to be blocked by pulling this and they deserve it.

This is Ghostify without script blockers and everything else turned off.  That isn't even the whole list.  This kind of garbage is more the rule than the exception.

Edit 2: IIRC, having that many sites broke Ghostery, too as the UI couldn't handle them all.

Edited by Glenn9999

This is Ghostify without script blockers and everything else turned off.  That isn't even the whole list.  This kind of garbage is more the rule than the exception.

Edit 2: IIRC, having that many sites broke Ghostery, too as the UI couldn't handle them all.

You meant 'Ghostery' on first line. :)

There is an issue in the old version of Ghostery (2.9.6.x) that the guys in the forum at getsatisfaction.com try very hard to obfuscate by asking everyone to upgrade, even though that is not possible for older Firefox versions. The fix is rather simple, involving editing a javascript file in two places to increase the number of cached entries. I've presented the fix (based on a previously reported issue and fix by Eric P. Scott) in a cumulated replies-post here, but  - very conveniently! - it is hidden under a "view X more comments" spoiler link (or something of that sort). Basically the fix goes like this:

In Firefox profile > extensions > firefox@ghostery.com > chrome > content --> ghostery-common.jsline 1095cis.init(fis, "UTF-8", 0, 0);becomescis.init(fis, "UTF-8", 32768, 0);and line 1108cos.init(fos, "UTF-8", 0, 0);becomescos.init(fos, "UTF-8", 32768, 0);

I agree that WordPress has been destroyed recently by the changes and additions that users just don't want/need. Those emoticons are horrible, I've disabled them altogether on my blog and instead I'm manually replacing the codes with Yahoo! Messenger emoticons as close to the original as possible. Too much bloat everywhere! :(

@ Kelsenellenelvian: You may increase the tempo value for that GIF instead of removing it, if you consider it being of some value. Maybe 7000 ms for each frame would be optimal.

Personally with my wordpress I just block people from making comments. If they want to leave a comment they have to go to my own

forum I have setup. This way I could control what is said. It is a little annoying but if a person really wants to make a comment they just have to register. This way it blocks all the spam users. I call it a three-way

Block google comments by not having a pure google account

Block wordpress comments by redirecting to a forum

Force a user to sign in just to make comments, if they feel it is needed.

No facebook user login bs, no myspace bs.

Also to lose weight via my viewing pleasure I just block most of the content. If I want Youtube to load or Google to load it will need my pass-go.

On the HTML and PHP a lot of blocking could go on as well. Especially the **** google. Google seems to be intergrated into everything unless your the servers owner.

I see some servers are running Ubunto as well? Might as well by a cheap phone and call it a webserver

Edited by ROTS

I blame the Home Users who have no clue about funcional OS' and Websites. They all expect Eye Candy.

Boss - "Dudes, we *have* to get this custom body repair and fancy paint job done ASAP!"

Us - "Wow! OK, boss, but it's going to be a pretty shabby outcome."

<job is completed and delivered...>

Customer - "Oooh! Shiney!"

I blame the Home Users who have no clue about funcional OS' and Websites. They all expect Eye Candy.

Actually this has always been a universal.  The best comment I got from a coding contest I entered once upon a time was something to that effect.  Less functional OS/website, more eye candy in the (required) manual.  This really has always been the case, as they explained in any device, product, or artistic endeavor like music or movies (guy related this to his military service at the time in the reports he had to fill out).

Flash > Substance/Talent

Always.