Win9x on nForce 5/6+

oerg866

Hi all,

did anyone ever figure out how to get Win9x running on the later nforce chipsets? I know NF4 runs 98 very nicely but I can't get it to boot on an NF5 board I have (more specifically, Abit AN52V)...

Cheers.

Does safe mode work?

Install with "setup /p i", limit the RAM if more than 1152MB, do you install on IDE or SATA? If SATA, set it to Compatible if possible.

Try also deleting ESDI_506.pdr from Windows/System/Iosubsys from pure DOS.

I've succesfully ran Win98SE on a nForce 550 motherboard, on a SATA drive with these tips.

Every NForce chipset system I have experimented with has some bug or another under Windows 9x. I'm surprised any of you had good results with them. I'll quote myself from another thread where I discussed the issues:

I don't have any experience with that specific NForce chipset, but I do have two boards with NForce3 chipsets and one board with an NForce4 chipset that I have run some limited experiments on.

All 3 have at least one "major" bug with 9x OS'es. :thumbdown

The NForce3 and NForce4 boards will not load a driver for a USB Storage device under 98SE if there is more than 2GB of RAM present and a USB2 driver is loaded. This bug does not affect 95, most likely because no USB2 driver exists (without a major backport of 98SE files). ME unknown, but probably the same as 98SE. XP and presumably 2K are unaffected.

The NForce4 board has problems with 9x and the old "Gate A20 line" causing very long hangups during every 9x boot (to the tune of you walk away and come back 30 minutes later to see if it's booted yet). This can be fixed with another patch from our good friend rloew. :angel

But, once you get past that, I also saw some anomalies using a 7200GS and the 82.69 graphics drivers under 95 with this board. 98SE may not suffer this.

My advice would be to avoid NForce for 9x system building, but YMMV. :}

Hopefully your experiences are the norm and mine were just bad luck...