Scheduled Updates for Windows Defender

Jody Thornton

In the Windows 8 Task Scheduler, I have set up a scheduled nightly task to update Windows Defender.  I turn off auto updates.  Instead, I have Windows download the updates, but let me decide when to install them.

So after, making the scheduled task, I attempt to run it manually (just to test it).  Every time I do so, no updates occurs, and the task deletes itself.  I attempt to recreate it, but the same result repeats itself.  Any reason why it would delete itself? I've compared it to the "Scan" task, and all of the triggers and options are the same. The time to run, and the command parameters are the only things that are different.

I attempted exporting my scheduled scan task to XML, and then importing it as a new task.  Step by step, I make changes to several parts of the task (the time to run, the name and the description).  Each time I make a change, I save the task and run it (at this point, a full scan task).  Then I change the parameters to -SignatureUpdate, which runs a definitions update.  The task deletes when I run it.

:(

OK this is strange.

I got my own task working (without the script).  What changed it?  I called my original task "Windows Defender Update".  I changed the name to "Windows Defender Update Task".  Now it works.

Huh??? :o

Edited by JodyT

• 3 weeks later...