dwl-120 usb wireless b adapter windows 95 driver

cov3rt

i asked this before to see if there are any usb wireless b adapters that work on windows 95 but was basically given the answer no, but i thought i still try out one on windows 95 and so far, i have no luck in getting it work, i get a code 2 in device manager of device failure, try changing the driver, even though the specific driver package i got had a seperate win95 folder with the driver. i only tried one driver version 0.47.0.7 dated 3-1-01 which is the oldest one i found for the dwl-120 that im testing but i know there should be older ones but i am unable to find an older version. the reason why i believe there should be older drivers is because i saw one review of the dwl-120 that is the same exact picture of the one im using, the review date was 1-25-01 by tim higgins. the hardware id is "USB\VID_03eb&PID_7603". i think its possible that sometime before, i found a dwl-120 driver that was dated in december 2000, but im not sure. below is some more information of the device -

AT76C503A based FastVNET USB 11M Network Adapter

[uSB]
%USBFVNETA.DeviceDesc% = USBFVNETA.Ndi,USB\VID_03eb&PID_7603

[strings]
USB = "ATMEL"
USBFVNETA.DeviceDesc = "ATMEL USB FastVNET (A)"
USBFVNETA.DisplayName = "ATMEL USB FastVNET (A)"

post-401894-0-07651400-1450562489_thumb.

i checked dlink's site using waybackmachine and the earliest instance i found for the dwl-120 was december 2000, though i couldn't download the driver using the box selection provided through the site. i think i will just leave this as is, maybe someone like problemchyld can modify the existing windows 98 drivers to work on windows 95 to be provided later?

Windows 98 (or later) USB drivers of any kind will not work under Windows 95, period. They depend on WDM functions that simply do not exist under 95. No amount of INF tweaking or wishful thinking will fix that. Trust me, I have tried.

The only way to solve this is to backport several files from 98 to work under 95, thus creating a Hybrid system. rloew managed it, but unless he wants to further explore the issue I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 98 (or later) USB drivers of any kind will not work under Windows 95, period. They depend on WDM functions that simply do not exist under 95. No amount of INF tweaking or wishful thinking will fix that. Trust me, I have tried.

The only way to solve this is to backport several files from 98 to work under 95, thus creating a Hybrid system. rloew managed it, but unless he wants to further explore the issue I wouldn't get my hopes up.

other than this usb wifi issue, have you, rloew or anyone else worked on trying to get 360p resolution on youtube for windows 95? i mean, what exactly prevents from going more than 240p on the youtube video settings? i've tried the flash 7 spoof on both firefox 2.0.0.20 and opera 10.63, but the max i can get is 240p. i tried to use the non ie flash 8 npswf32.dll plug in copied to the plug in folders of both browsers that someone mentioned off one site that should work, not the npswf32.dll file itself, but simply installing via the flash 8 non ie exe file, but none of the ways i tried worked.

Edited by cov3rt

other than this usb wifi issue, have you, rloew or anyone else worked on trying to get 360p resolution on youtube for windows 95? i mean, what exactly prevents from going more than 240p on the youtube video settings? i've tried the flash 7 spoof on both firefox 2.0.0.20 and opera 10.63, but the max i can get is 240p. i tried to use the non ie flash 8 npswf32.dll plug in copied to the plug in folders of both browsers that someone mentioned off one site that should work, not the npswf32.dll file itself, but simply installing via the flash 8 non ie exe file, but none of the ways i tried worked.

Never tried. It's almost impossible to use Windows 9x online these days unless you're OK with completely disabling JavaScript and other annoyances. Your best bet may be to ask Andrew T or wait for him to notice this thread; I would say he has probably pushed 95 further online than anyone else here.

• 1 month later...

To add to that, Windows 95 driver format is VXD. Windows 98's WMD driver format is completely incompatible with Windows 95's VXD. It'll never work under any circumstances. However, it might be possible to use the DOS USB driver's under Windows 95. Windows 95 does in fact allow the use of DOS device drivers as a fallback when needed. the only drawback to doing that is that you take a performance hit doing so. DOS device drivers are 16 bit drivers. Just be advised, that the DOS USB drivers are a bit limited in what they can do device wise.

Never tried. It's almost impossible to use Windows 9x online these days unless you're OK with completely disabling JavaScript and other annoyances. Your best bet may be to ask Andrew T or wait for him to notice this thread; I would say he has probably pushed 95 further online than anyone else here.

I tried surfing the Web under Windows 95 original release in 2014 for fun on an old laptop of mine. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I used an old PCMCIA T10 network card with DOS device drivers which I had hooked up to a Linksys WET11 ethernet bridge, which is about as close to using wireless on Windows 95 as you can get. I used both IE 5.5 and some 1.x version of Firefox which was the last version that would install under Windows 95. Both browsers were highly unstable with the javascript on today's web and would crash fairly regularly.

Edited by eunderhill

The oldest driver still available on D-Link's FTP is here:

ftp://ftp.d-link.co.za/D-LinkFTP/products/Wireless/DWL120/Driver/dwl120_driver_225_02.zip

Other resources for the DWL-120 are here:

ftp://ftp.d-link.co.za/D-LinkFTP/products/Wireless/DWL120/

I don't know how much luck you'll have with USB under Windows 95 with this adapter, but the manual is here:

ftp://ftp.d-link.co.za/D-LinkFTP/products/Wireless/DWL120/Manual/DWL-120_manual_07062005.zip

Here is some info getting USB under Windows 95:

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172402-xusbsupp-extended-usb-supplement-for-windows-95-osr2/