ModernFrame replacement

bigmuscle

I can confirm that this new version works with Secure Boot enabled.  Tested on my Surface Pro 1, which has never had transparent Modern Apps until now because I've never disabled Secure Boot.  On the Surface, disabling Secure Boot would leave a watermark in Win8 and a nasty red boot screen with newer UEFI firmware.

No issues so far.  Eagerly waiting for a final, non-debug version.  :)

And another build to play with... Aero Glass has been merged with ModernFrame and it is just one DLL now, so remove old ModernFrame...dll and use new DWMGlass.dll only. Use with version Aero Glass 1.5.1 only and register (with admin rights) as

Install:	regsvr32 DWMGlass.dll
Uninstall:	regsvr32 /u DWMGlass.dll

Download link is on the website.

It is 64-bit debug build!

OK - I did this:

1. Stopped AeroHost in Task Scheduler.
  2. Killed DWM.exe.
  3. Uninstalled the prior debug Modernframe with:  regsvr32 /u C:\AeroGlass\ModernFrame-x64-Debug.dll
  4. Copied the new debug DWMGlass.dll from the 7z file to C:\AeroGlass.
  5. Installed new debug DWMGlass.dll with:  regsvr32 C:\AeroGlass\DWMGlass.dll
  6. Ran the AeroHost entry in Task Scheduler.
  7. Explorer crashed once during the startup and listed a "Critical event" in the Reliability Monitor.  There was a very brief screen flash.
  8. After the brief flash the glass effects came right up.
  9. Glass effects come right up after a reboot.  Debug window, pop-up dialog, and watermark are shown as expected.
  10. The Settings App comes right up with glass effects.  Debug window is shown as expected.

Observations:

• The title backing "glow" is now properly positioned behind the title text in the title bar of the Modern Settings App.
  • The title text of the Modern App is white when it is current, but if it is not the current window it is gray and harder to read.
  • Title text of File Explorer windows is white (my selected color) when current or not current.
  • The Aero Glass GUI configuration application "Whose settings..." startup dialog has the title jammed to the left.
  • Explorer crashed once and the screen flashed blue on exit of the Aero Glass GUI configuration app.
  • In brief usage, I am not seeing any other instability.

Screen grabs:

• ScreenGrab_W10VM_2016_11_06_075702.png

• ScreenGrab_W10VM_2016_11_06_074747.png

Log:

Anything in particular beyond the above you'd like me to test?

-Noel

10 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

And another build to play with... Aero Glass has been merged with ModernFrame and it is just one DLL now, so remove old ModernFrame...dll and use new DWMGlass.dll only. Use with version Aero Glass 1.5.1 only and register (with admin rights) as

Install:	regsvr32 DWMGlass.dll
Uninstall:	regsvr32 /u DWMGlass.dll

Download link is on the website.

It is 64-bit debug build!

Mmmmm, If I use TxUSB.dll loaded from DWMGlass.dll - can I replace DWMGlass.dll on this dbg dll? Will it loads TxUSB.dll?

Thank you!

Edited by CKyHC

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

I've confirmed that the new 1.5.1.806 debug Regsvr32-installable DWMGlass DOES work with the 1.1.0.0 UxTSB.dll.  I am using an Aero 7 theme with it right now.

-Noel

Wow!  Everything you're saying is true for me.

Way to go BM.  Thanks

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

I've confirmed that the new 1.5.1.806 debug Regsvr32-installable DWMGlass DOES work with the 1.1.0.0 UxTSB.dll.  I am using an Aero 7 theme with it right now.

-Noel

Thanks! It's good!

Hm, it's possible the Explorer crashes - also seen just now as a crash in the Windows Logon Application while logging-on - may be tied to my use of the third party Aero 7 theme.

When I deconfigure the Aero 7 theme and just choose the Windows default theme, I don't see Explorer crashes any more (even with UxTSB.dll still in place and my own RoundedCorners theme atlas graphics replacing the stock graphics).

At this point I don't know whether it's the Aero 7 theme programming itself or some interaction with UxTSB that leads to the crashes, but since I'm not fond of causing failures I'm backing out of using the Aero 7 theme in Win 10 for now.  I only really use the theme to get visual styles back on common controls, since I'm replacing the graphics for the window chrome anyway with Aero Glass for Win 8+.  Another theme may be available out there that provides such visual styles and  does not crash in the same configuration, though I have no time right now to try to find one.

Big Muscle, let me know if there's anything you'd like me to do to help you isolate the causes of these crashes.

-Noel

1. some colors are still used from "glass" tab
2. in this case, how can use "automatically compute from desktop background" checkbox correctly?
3 how can use one-color solid border?

1.5.1.806 1png.png

1.5.1.806 2png.png

NoelC: maybe a bit complicated but we will manage it... you need to have new DWMGlass.dll registered and just ensure that it is injected into explorer.exe, it will probably happen automatically e.g. when you open Start menu or something - you can notice that console with the title Windows.Explorer...opens. In such scenario, it should generate minidump when explorer.exe crashes. Upload it and I can check what causes the crash.