USB2 Storage Devs not automatically detected on X58/ICH10 system

LoneCrusader

However, as soon as I connected a second USB Flash Drive I got a BSOD immediately, as before. I had to manually reset the machine and I was able to reproduce the issue exactly again.

So it appears that if the controllers are originally installed using 6941 then once can successfully connect, use, and remove ONE USB storage device without triggering the problem. But when one connects a second flash drive, the old behavior resurfaces.

I tried to reproduce your issue and did not get a BSOD, I was able to connect 2 USB flash drives and access them. I'm 100% positive, I am NOT the only one using USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941 successfully with as many people using the SP, I would have been removed it or came up with a solution/work-around. It all boils down to hardware. What I would do is install WinXP and see the layout, and try to duplicate it from XP. Take into consideration, I'm using a USB 2.0 PCMCIA add-on card and NOT onboard USB 2.0. This might make a big difference. I'll keep searching and see if I can find something. Merry Christmas

post-75997-0-72131800-1451101116_thumb.j