USB2 Storage Devs not automatically detected on X58/ICH10 system

LoneCrusader

I use the latest which is USBPORT.SYS 5.00.2195.6941 Windows 2000 SP4 and don't have problems. Here is a full list, been running the files for years. http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172833-old-computer-back-to-life/?p=1112369

This is as far a user gonna get using Win 2000/Xp files unless one updates Wdmstub. I have tested and tried all versions I could find.

I tried USBPORT.SYS 5.00.2195.6941 and 5.00.2195.6926 from KBs suggested by Petr but then I got "Windows protection error" at boot in text mode and I had to revert older version 5.00.2195.5652

I confirm xRayeR's results:

In my experience, the last USBPORT.SYS to work OK in Win 98SE is v. 5.0.2195.5652, while for USBSTOR.SYS (in case one installs it with WDMSTUB.SYS v. 5.0.0.6 from NUSB30E) it's v. 5.0.2195.6773 (from KB823086). And for USBEHCI.SYS, the latest version that works is v. 5.0.2195.6882 (the latest available for W2k, check it here). Now, in what regards USBHUB20.SYS, it's more complicated: almost all chipsets work ok with v. 5.0.2195.6891, but VIA's don't. For VIA's chipsets, one needs VIA's own USBHUB20.SYS v. 4.90.3000.11 (findable inside VIA_USB2_V270p1-L-M), in order to avoid BSOD's on removing (hot-deplugging) USB 2.0 HUBs from the machine. Note that it must be substituted by hand, in true DOS, because NUSB3.3 contains v. 5.0.2195.6891, so it's really a downgrade.

Also non-letal BSODs are possible when disabling/removing controller or hub.

This issue mentioned by Tihiy is precisely the one due to USBHUB20.SYS v. 5.0.2195.6891 and VIA chipsets. While one can recover from the BSOD, the only sensible thing to do at that point is to restart or shutdown the machine.

With time passing, I got convinced at least some of the issues with USBPORT.SYS occur only on machines using AMD processors with VIA southbridges (as is the case of my Asus A7V600-X with an Athlon XP 3000+). That seems to explain the difference in the results obtained by xRayer, Tihiy and myself vs. those observed by LoneCrusader and ProblemChyld. Intel machines apparently are much more forgiving than AMD/VIA, regarding whatever changed in USBPORT.SYS. Of course, these are just my 2¢...

N.B.: I never tested v. 5.0.2195.6127, so I cannot say anything about it. Unfortunately, my 98SE machine is out of commission (and belly-up) at the moment, so, for the time being, I cannot volunteer to actually test it. Sorry! :}

...two versions that work....5.0.2195.5652...5.0.2195.6127...

I don't get it :unsure::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/91336-usb-20-stack-for-win98me/#entry617413

Those files were taken from pre-sp4 microsoft usb 2.0 drivers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319973

Attention: usbport.sys higher than 5.0.2195.5652 is know to be faily, so please avoid now downloading MDGx pack.

and following ...

jaclaz

I can only assume that Tihiy never was aware of or tested 6127 when he made that post. That specific version was never mentioned in the thread by anyone. I had to do a significant amount of digging to find it myself, as it was buried in an old list of post-SP3 2K Hotfixes and apparently it was superseded because of some issue with it, IIRC. But it does work like the previous 5652.

I use the latest which is USBPORT.SYS 5.00.2195.6941 Windows 2000 SP4 and don't have problems. Here is a full list, been running the files for years. http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172833-old-computer-back-to-life/?p=1112369

This is as far a user gonna get using Win 2000/Xp files unless one updates Wdmstub. I have tested and tried all versions I could find.

Apparently you're the lucky one if you're able to use 6657-6941 without problems. No one else has reported success with any version greater than 5652 that I am aware of, other than my 6127 report. I've run the same experiment with all of the USBPORT.SYS versions multiple times now on multiple machines. Every time, all versions later than 6127 cause BSOD's when I plug in a USB Flash Drive.

I wonder if there is something different in the methodology used. Did you originally install your USB2 controllers using the later USBPORT.SYS versions? Or, did you manually update it after installing them with the older NUSB version? If the former, are you able to do the latter and still not get a BSOD?

I tried USBPORT.SYS 5.00.2195.6941 and 5.00.2195.6926 from KBs suggested by Petr but then I got "Windows protection error" at boot in text mode and I had to revert older version 5.00.2195.5652

I confirm xRayeR's results:

In my experience, the last USBPORT.SYS to work OK in Win 98SE is v. 5.0.2195.5652, while for USBSTOR.SYS (in case one installs it with WDMSTUB.SYS v. 5.0.0.6 from NUSB30E) it's v. 5.0.2195.6773 (from KB823086). And for USBEHCI.SYS, the latest version that works is v. 5.0.2195.6882 (the latest available for W2k, check it here). Now, in what regards USBHUB20.SYS, it's more complicated: almost all chipsets work ok with v. 5.0.2195.6891, but VIA's don't. For VIA's chipsets, one needs VIA's own USBHUB20.SYS v. 4.90.3000.11 (findable inside VIA_USB2_V270p1-L-M), in order to avoid BSOD's on removing (hot-deplugging) USB 2.0 HUBs from the machine. Note that it must be substituted by hand, in true DOS, because NUSB3.3 contains v. 5.0.2195.6891, so it's really a downgrade.

Also non-letal BSODs are possible when disabling/removing controller or hub.

This issue mentioned by Tihiy is precisely the one due to USBHUB20.SYS v. 5.0.2195.6891 and VIA chipsets. While one can recover from the BSOD, the only sensible thing to do at that point is to restart or shutdown the machine.

With time passing, I got convinced at least some of the issues with USBPORT.SYS occur only on machines using AMD processors with VIA southbridges (as is the case of my Asus A7V600-X with an Athlon XP 3000+). That seems to explain the difference in the results obtained by xRayer, Tihiy and myself vs. those observed by LoneCrusader and ProblemChyld. Intel machines apparently are much more forgiving than AMD/VIA, regarding whatever changed in USBPORT.SYS. Of course, these are just my 2¢...

N.B.: I never tested v. 5.0.2195.6127, so I cannot say anything about it. Unfortunately, my 98SE machine is out of commission (and belly-up) at the moment, so, for the time being, I cannot volunteer to actually test it. Sorry! :}

I've seen BSOD's when trying to remove a USB2 device from the Device Manager under Normal Mode as well. The best thing to do is remove or disable them in Safe Mode when necessary and avoid the problem.

If this thread keeps going like it is, I may have to get you to move it into the 9x forum, lol. :lol:

I can only assume that Tihiy never was aware of or tested 6127 when he made that post. That specific version was never mentioned in the thread by anyone. I had to do a significant amount of digging to find it myself, as it was buried in an old list of post-SP3 2K Hotfixes and apparently it was superseded because of some issue with it, IIRC. But it does work like the previous 5652.

Sure :), I meant that later in that thread PROBLEMCHYLD listed much later versions that he uses in his unofficial service pack, like:

USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941

It is possible that it is the "combination" of USBPORT.SYS with a specific version of another file related to the USB stack that makes it working or not (or it is possible that a specific hardware simply doesn't work with a newer version). :unsure:

jaclaz

@ jaclaz + LoneCrusader

You are correct, some files can be replaced one by one and some files needs to be replaced in bulk. I'm not sure if the file is problematic on other boards, but have tested them on a couple of intels. One must install the whole stack @ once. I had combined NUSB and MDGx USB 2.0 which led me to use the newer files.

@ dencorso

Another user on here had tested USBSTACK for me and he had a VIA southbridge. He was able to use the whole stack except for USBHUB20.SYS 5.00.2195.6891 Windows 2000 SP4, is the reason I added USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11 VIA Chipset. USBSTACK give users the choice to use the file that suits them. This was the only file that needed to be replace on VIA Chipset. Both options installs the same exact files with the exception of USBHUB20.SYS.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

@PROBLEMCHYLD: Well, the association between the need for USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11 is pretty solid, by now, so it's one of the few facts we know for sure. Besides the user you mentioned (and of whom I was not aware), xRayer, myself and at least one more user (I don't quite remember who) were able to reproduce the issue. It's pretty solid.

The issues associated with USBPORT.SYS are less well defined. But I'm convinced they must be hardware-dependent in some way. If it were very generalized, you'd have had much more people having issues with the U98SESP3 than you've actually have. That is a sure fact.

Here is what the latest USBPORT.SYS was tested on from a friend sometime ago, not sure if they are AMD or Intel but they worked with no problem. The only issue was USBHUB20.SYS. Maybe this could help.

VIA VT6212 USB 2.0 controller
ATI SB400 USB 2.0 controller

Well, the A7V600-X  uses a VIA chipset, which southbridge it VT8237, and it includes onchip both the VT6103 10/100 Fast Ethernet and the VT6212 USB 2.0 controller. So, for all purposes, anyone using the VT8237 is actually using a VT6212 USB 2.0 controller.

N.B.: According to my notes, I've always tested one new file at a time, so my issues with the USBPORT.SYS may stem from this fact.

@LoneCrusader: Please consider that board is great for XP. In fact, if you manage to find one at a reasonable price, a Gulftown hyperthreaded 6-core i7-9xx would make Win XP Pro SP3 fly on it like a rocket !!! :yes:

Well, the A7V600-X  uses a VIA chipset, which southbridge it VT8237, and it includes onchip both the VT6103 10/100 Fast Ethernet and the VT6212 USB 2.0 controller. So, for all purposes, anyone using the VT8237 is actually using a VT6212 USB 2.0 controller.

N.B.: According to my notes, I've always tested one new file at a time, so my issues with the USBPORT.SYS may stem from this fact.

Have you tried it with the full 2000 stack? Some files depend on others, this is how I was able to get most of the 2000 USB files working, many depend on other counterparts. I know you can't test right now, but sharing intell could help others in the future.

@ jaclaz + LoneCrusader

You are correct, some files can be replaced one by one and some files needs to be replaced in bulk. I'm not sure if the file is problematic on other boards, but have tested them on a couple of intels. One must install the whole stack @ once. I had combined NUSB and MDGx USB 2.0 which led me to use the newer files.

I set up a test using USBPORT.SYS 6941 along with the other two USB2 driver files which were already at their latest 2K version.

I removed all of the USB2 controllers and hubs from the Device Manager in Safe Mode. (BTW, removing a USB2 controller under Normal Mode will trigger a BSOD even with the oldest USBPORT.SYS so this issue mentioned before is present no matter what)

I then rebooted the machine and allowed the USB2 devices to be reinstalled from scratch, using the updated USBPORT.SYS.

I rebooted again after this for good measure and then connected a USB Flash Drive. To my surprise it worked without a BSOD and was detected and installed properly. I was able to access it and then safely remove it using the tray icon.

However, as soon as I connected a second USB Flash Drive I got a BSOD immediately, as before. I had to manually reset the machine and I was able to reproduce the issue exactly again.

So it appears that if the controllers are originally installed using 6941 then once can successfully connect, use, and remove ONE USB storage device without triggering the problem. But when one connects a second flash drive, the old behavior resurfaces.

I can only assume that there is some slight difference (maybe in the registry?) made by using the later file during installation. It does change the behavior from that of simply directly replacing the one file, but in the end the result is the same because the BSODs still resurface. :}

This test was done using the ME USB1 stack. I don't know what effect using the 2K USB1 stack may or may not have.

@LoneCrusader: Please consider that board is great for XP. In fact, if you manage to find one at a reasonable price, a Gulftown hyperthreaded 6-core i7-9xx would make Win XP Pro SP3 fly on it like a rocket !!! :yes:

All part of the plan.. haha. :sneaky:

I've been stepping up incrementally with newer Intel systems, mainly looking for the point where using 9x becomes "more of a problem than it is worth," but as a second benefit I will eventually have a "high performance" system for XP as well. Next system on target after the X58 is the X79.. but I'll need to save some more money for that, lol. :lol:

Not sure if you'll ever get it working like you want to, but I have never witness the USB issue you just posted. I am able to plug in as many USB at the same time. The 2K files depends on other 2k files to be present. If you don't replace the whole stack, you will continue to get BSODS. I learned this from years of testing.

Not sure if you'll ever get it working like you want to, but I have never witness the USB issue you just posted. I am able to plug in as many USB at the same time. The 2K files depends on other 2k files to be present. If you don't replace the whole stack, you will continue to get BSODS. I learned this from years of testing.

I see no advantage to changing from the ME USB1 stack to the 2K USB1 stack. The fact that the files are "versioned higher" is the only logical argument for doing so, and even this is irrelevant because the 2K files were designed for 2K and the NT codebase while the ME files were designed for ME and the 9x codebase. Just because a newer versioned file was issued as a fix or update for 2K does not guarantee that the newer file is "better" for Windows 9x. In fact, the opposite is likely.

But all of that aside, I decided that I would give your method a try, just to see what happens. I removed all of the USB devices from the Device Manager and ran the USBSTACK.EXE file from inside your latest uSP 3.51 which updated all of the USB files accordingly. Not only did the exact same behavior with the BSODs remain, I also noticed that the USB Storage device did not trigger the HOTPLUG/Safe Removal tray icon as it should.

I'm glad all if these newer files work as expected on your system, and I hope they also work for others, but apparently yours is the exception and not the rule.