USB2 Storage Devs not automatically detected on X58/ICH10 system

LoneCrusader

Hello my Win2K friends! :hello:

I have encountered a strange problem where USB2 storage devices are not automatically being recognized when they are plugged in. I have to manually "Scan for hardware changes" in the Device Manager in order for the USB drive to be detected. And then, the system seems to lock up before the drive is mounted and the driver installation sequence never completes. Unplugging the drive at this point will unlock the system, but an empty "ghost" Removable Disk is then mounted in EXPLORER.

I originally discovered this problem while running under Windows 98SE using the Windows 2000 USB2 drivers. I found that I had to manually Refresh the Device Manager there to get the USB drive detected, and once detected, access and file transfers are ridiculously slow. Nothing I tried seemed to fix this, so I decided to install Windows 2000 and see if the problem still persisted there. It actually seems to be worse under 2K than under 98SE... :wacko:

The problem does not exist under XP SP3.

System specs:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard

Core I7 2.8GHz CPU

4GB RAM

NVidia GeForce 7950GT 512MB video card

all onboard devices disabled in BIOS except USB

Windows 2000 SP4+UR1 clean install with no other modifications whatsoever

Any ideas? :unsure:

Edited by LoneCrusader

Hi.

Here is my Windows 2000.

If you use Extended Kernel Core, you can use XP or 2003 Drivers.

And 3rd party's USB 3.0 drivers also can work on Windows 2000.

I was hoping for a solution that fixes the native Windows 2000 files rather than having to use XP files. Those of us running Windows 98SE/ME depend on being able to use the 2K files, the XP ones won't work under 9x. :}

Thanks anyway though!

A few, however, do (work with 9x/ME, I mean), usbccgp.sys being a good example of such rare XP files.

Unfortunately that's the only one I know of that is confirmed. And even that being said, I have never tested it. We only have RetroOS's old post about using it successfully, and no reports of it not working. :}

The ME version of this file is actually known to not work under 98SE, but I assume that is because it is missing a WDM function. Very odd that the ME version is missing a function while the XP version is not, but I digress.

This problem lies somewhere within the 3 USB2 driver stack files USBPORT.SYS, USBEHCI.SYS, and USBHUB20.SYS. We can narrow it down to those 3 files because the same issue is present under both 2K and 98SE when using them (actually seems to be worse under 2K). If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the issue lies somewhere in the "device connect notification" subsystem; or there is some kind of "timing" fault with newer controllers. But I'm no programmer and have no idea how to debug the drivers. :no:

Edited by LoneCrusader

I've got usbccgp.sys v5.1.2600.5585 on my trusty old 98SE machine.

There's also usbport.sys v5.0.2195.5652 and usbehci.sys v5.0.2195.6882.

The hub driver is usbhub.sys v4.90.3002.1.

Related may also be usbntmap.sys 4.90.3000, usbstor v4.90.3000.1, usbd.sys v4.90.3000.1, usbauth.sys v4.90.3000.1 and a shady usbu2a.sys v1.42.

Used to have MS usbhub20.sys v5.0.2195.6891 which I recently replaced with VIA's 4.90.3000.11.

They both work(ed) fine with the built-in VIA Tech 3038 USB 1.1 controller and the VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 add-in card.

But maybe my SOYO SY-6VBA133 motherboard is more resiliant to drivers than other boards, especially the new ones.

System specs:

Core I7 2.8GHz CPU

4GB RAM

Well, while I've been unable to help you in this case, you may be able to shed some more light on another issue we've been investigating...

In case I'm correct, your machine has a i7-930 processor, which is a Bloomfield, a very early i7. Would you please be so kind as to run Coreinfo 3.31 (on XP or 2k) on it? It is standalone, and should be run from a cmd box, like this:

coreinfo > bloominfo.txt

Then colect the txt, zip and attach it, please. Sorry for the bother, but I really think it may help us understand a little more about the instruction changes on intel architecture.

I've got usbccgp.sys v5.1.2600.5585 on my trusty old 98SE machine.

There's also usbport.sys v5.0.2195.5652 and usbehci.sys v5.0.2195.6882.

The hub driver is usbhub.sys v4.90.3002.1.

Related may also be usbntmap.sys 4.90.3000, usbstor v4.90.3000.1, usbd.sys v4.90.3000.1, usbauth.sys v4.90.3000.1 and a shady usbu2a.sys v1.42.

Used to have MS usbhub20.sys v5.0.2195.6891 which I recently replaced with VIA's 4.90.3000.11.

They both work(ed) fine with the built-in VIA Tech 3038 USB 1.1 controller and the VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 add-in card.

But maybe my SOYO SY-6VBA133 motherboard is more resiliant to drivers than other boards, especially the new ones.

Only the 3 USB2 driver stack files are common to both 98SE and 2K on my testing machine, so the problem must lie within them. I'm also using the ME USB1 stack files under 98SE as you are, but these files are all different under 2K.

I have already ruled out the storage driver by the fact that it does not enumerate devices when they are connected, it only takes over once this is done by the controller driver. Also I ruled it out by testing with the ME USBSTOR.SYS, rloew's generic USB driver for 98, and with rloew's RLUSB9X, all of which behave the same.

I haven't tested USB1 functionality with the USB2 controllers disabled, but this would defeat the purpose anyway. :}

System specs:

Core I7 2.8GHz CPU

4GB RAM

Well, while I've been unable to help you in this case, you may be able to shed some more light in another issue we've benn investigating...

In case I'm correct, your machine has a i7-930 processor, which is a Bloomfield, a very early i7. Would you please be so kind as to run coreinfo (on XP or 2k) on it?

Sure. What is coreinfo? lol

It's a very comprehensive console processor diagnostic program by the famous Mark Russinovich, from sysinternals (now owned by MS...). This is a link to the download page. There is no install, you download it, extract from the zip and run it from the directory of your choice. Like all their other command-line programs, on the first run it presents a box with their standard freeware licence. After you agree to it, it never bothers you again.

It's a very comprehensive console processor diagnostic program by the famous Mark Russinovich, from sysinternals (now owned by MS...). This is a link to the download page. There is no install, you download it, extract from the zip and run it from the directory of your choice. Like all their other command-line programs, on the first run it presents a box with their standard freeware licence. After you agree to it, it never bothers you again.

I see. Here's the output. Hopefully it will shed some light on the issue you're investigating. :thumbup

i7_930.zip

Edited by LoneCrusader

Thanks a lot, LoneCrusader! You rock! :thumbup

My post about the results you've provided is on this thread, just to provide a link for it, without disturbing too much your thread.

You're welcome. :)

I may have also solved this bizarre issue.

It seems to have been caused by a BIOS setting, "USB Storage Function" which one would logically assume should be set to "Enabled" based on the less-than-informative BIOS Help text "Enable Legacy USB Storage Function." I set it to "Disabled" just to see if it made any difference and the issue seems to have disappeared. Strange... :blink::dubbio:

EDIT:

Probably more informative in our 9x forum, but I also attempted to use some XP USB files under 98SE before I found the above. They did NOT work. USBEHCI.SYS would not load even though it wasn't missing any imports. USBPORT.SYS and USBHUB.SYS are missing several imports.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Glad you got it working! Great!

IIRR, even the 2k USBPORT.SYS is unusable under 9x, except from te very early versions. The first to post about that was Tihiy, way back when.

I have found two versions that work. The original that is used in NUSB version 5.0.2195.5652, and one other comes from Q811011, version 5.0.2195.6127. Versions 5.0.2195.6657 and up all cause a BSOD on device connect. I don't know if any versions exist between 6127 and 6657; if anyone here knows of any please let me know.

I have found two versions that work. The original that is used in NUSB version 5.0.2195.5652, and one other comes from Q811011, version 5.0.2195.6127. Versions 5.0.2195.6657 and up all cause a BSOD on device connect. I don't know if any versions exist between 6127 and 6657; if anyone here knows of any please let me know.

I don't get it :unsure::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/91336-usb-20-stack-for-win98me/#entry617413

Those files were taken from pre-sp4 microsoft usb 2.0 drivers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319973

Attention: usbport.sys higher than 5.0.2195.5652 is know to be faily, so please avoid now downloading MDGx pack.

and following ...

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz