Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

bookie32

Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

It looks like it is an Embedded product aimed at the Enterprise channel, may eventually replace the low-end CPU SKUs of current (IoT) Embedded OS. Or even better, since those low-end Embedded OS are still built on 20 years of bloated Windows OS, with less features... which was basically what Vista Basic is. Perhaps they are finally starting to figure out that "Flagship" Windows is just too big... Maybe this is the start of normal Windows taking a hike as well. BUT we'll see how it goes, they have had new OS flops before. It doesn't matter how good it actually is, if adoption (aka sales) are low, it will get the axe.

On 2018-04-18 at 5:59 AM, mikedigitize said:

Two thoughts:

1) They got to have something stable when it comes to azure....

2) Oh no - don't mess up linux now, also...

They couldn't fix a p*** up in a brewary...so not much hope of them getting anywhere with Linux...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2018 at 6:36 AM, bookie32 said:

so, the development of Windows 10 is down to this motley crew...by development...what do you mean? Windows 10 by all accounts could have been better developed by two year olds....

When I see the word develop or development of....I get goosebumps....:ph34r:

"Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated...."

Yep, that is how it feels with Windows 10

bookie32

Why don't you go ahead and develop it then.  It certainly sounds like you can do a better job.  When you are finished send me a link to your OS.  I am sure it won't take more than a few days.

Edited by dhjohns

Posted (edited)

Hi dhjohns:D

Do I take it you are an avid fan of Windows 10 and think the Microsoft development team are doing a wonderful job....?

If the answer is yes to the above....then please tell me what is good about it...it has the worst track record of any OS Microsoft has ever produced....computers have literally died on a regular basis because of this crap....

I was a devolper then I would at least try to devolop something that works....

But I just have to fix the crap and explain to customers that this is normal....?!!!

bookie56

Edited by bookie32

Hi mikedigitize:D

Well, been losing my hair for some time and this crap doesn't help.....lol

bookie32

• Like 1

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3268913/microsoft-windows/microsoft-holds-up-windows-10-feature-upgrade-after-finding-bsod-bug.html

"...In the past four feature upgrades - designated 1511, 1607, 1703 and 1709 in Microsoft's yymm identifier - the company has only once released the operating system during the listed month. (That was 1511, which went live on Nov. 10, 2015.) The remaining trio missed their labeled months by two days (1607), five days (1703) and 17 days (1709). The upcoming feature upgrade, aka 1803, will set the record, then, for the number of days past the identified month..."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

designated 1511, 1607, 1703 and 1709 in Microsoft's yymm identifier

WrKPhfd.gif

I never made this connection... :o

Posted (edited)

If ms wasnt fired all those QA testers

it would be in much better place

and tried to improve the process in time, and then reduce the QA testers slowly

would be smarter move

Edited by aviv00

Posted (edited)

I was getting stressed out until I finally made a hard decision not to replace the OS (Win 8.1) I have permanently licensed for my workstation - now 5 years old but which by any measure still runs right up there with very good modern systems, especially those running Windows 10.

VMware's gotten good enough I can develop Win10-only features (e.g., per-monitor scaling v2) on a Win 10 VM, which is manageable because a VM can be snapshotted / restored in just a few seconds.

No Spectre / Meltdown mitigations will find their way into my workstation.  Don't need 'em, won't accept the performance hits.  They're useless to me anyway, because I don't believe in running software non-privileged to try to "protect" things from ill-behaved software.  Better just not to run it.

I noticed my Win 10 VM was fairly sluggish until I figured out how to disable the stupid Meltdown / Spectre mitigations in the VM, and now it's mostly tolerable.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC
  • Like 3

In other news, ReactOS keeps improving. Another project interesting for gamers, DXVK, Vulkan-based Direct3D 11 implementation. The desire to break free from Microsoft's chains seems stronger than ever.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2018 at 8:49 AM, mikedigitize said:

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-april-update-will-start-rolling-out-on-may-8-according-to-leak

"....this particular update will be version 1803, called the April Update, but being generally available in May 8. Awkward!..."

actually, a build got released to Insiders before Spring, but while I had no issues, other users did, and the public release was delayed by 14 days, because they wanted to include the Patch Tuesday fixes, too. I was updated to 17134.1 right off the bat when it was made available.

Jokingly, I refer to the Spring Update as version 1804.