Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

17 hours ago, bookie32 said:

Jesus...just getting to grips with 1909 and they are releasing 2004...why don't they simply call it 2020..

Would make it easier to remember which year the rubbish was released :w00t:

Have you seen 2004 show up?  We're past the 4th month and it's a no show here.  Maybe it will show up in the 20th month?  :cool:  Maybe it's too hot here.  It may need to be refrigerated to ship?  Crap protocol? :buehehe:

Apologies for my somewhat rambling post!

I remember the year 2004.  Life seemed easier back then  :)

XP was the latest and greatest, and SP2 had just been released.

And if you didn't like XP, you could simply use Win9x or NT/2000 instead, all of which were fully supported by all the mainstream browsers of the day (and pretty much all but the oldest browsers still more or less worked fine on most of the Internet).  You could even browse competently on Win3.x if you wanted to!!  and the best part is that security was still considered optional for most things, so browsing around didn't require a ton of computer resources for all the fancy encryption algorithms that exist nowadays.  And most websites were still relatively simple HTML+CSS, which helped even more.

It's a far cry from now, where only the latest or second latest browser is supported, most sites are actively blocking anything older, and maximum security everything is mandatory.  In this respect, computing simply isn't that much fun anymore.

Anyway, back on topic:  with everything hacked as much as I can to make it behave somewhat like 8.x or 7, combined with a few choice addons (7+TaskbarTweaker, ClassicShell, AeroGlass), Win10 1809 is finally acceptable.  Not great, but acceptable.

Maybe once it's finally released, I'll download 2004 and check it out to see if it has regressed any.  I suspect that maybe it has, because MS invariably does stuff that breaks some or all of the tools that make life with 10 tolerable.  Whether this is by design, or, more likely, simply an unintended consequence of various security/usability/stability fixes, I do not know, but it's definitely frustrating. 

My feeling is that, despite all the.. how shall I put it.. boneheaded design and policy decisions MS has made over the past decade or so, I don't believe they're an evil entity whose sole purpose is to abuse and torment its customers (though it does seem like it for the most part), but rather just simply trying to do what they think people (primarily their investors) want them to do.  It's unfortunate that they seem to be out of touch with the vast majority of their user base, but that's the way it is, and there's not a whole lot that we can do about it aside form what we are doing (hacking up current versions of their products to make them more reasonable and/or hacking up older versions to run modern software they otherwise can't run, and to connect to modern services they otherwise can't connect to).

c

Edited by cc333

Well Version 2004 shipped yesterday!  Feature Update Version 2004, OS Build 190.264.  Updated MacBook today with no issues in 3 hours.  Windows 10 runs quite well on the Apple!  Wow, some sweet fertilizer! Time will tell.  And the temperate is up in the 110 degree range. :cool:

Windows 10 version 2004 status info page from MS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Known issues for 2004 - a bunch of them, especially when using the DISM tool with the /restorehealth switch

DISM might incorrectly report corruption is still present after repair

After using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM.exe) command /restorehealth to detect and correct system corruption, you might receive a report from the tool that corruption is still present. This can occur even when it has been repaired. An example for using the /restorehealth command is: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

although Win10 v2004 was publicly released on May 27 after 10am pacific local time, it hasn't been offered to my father's Toshiba laptop running Win10 v1909
maybe I'll wait a few more weeks around mid-June until MS issues a "bug fixed" version of 2004 that resolves some of the "known issues"

Edited by erpdude8

Time is telling.  2004, 32 bit, using the combination of IE11, Favorites and a Logitech Bluetooth mouse to select items, a "Black Screen" event has occurred several times.  The only recovery of this event so far has been the 10 second manual button power down.  This followed by a normal single press of the manual power on button brings a normal power on sequence to start Windows 10.  "Black Screen" events have been noted in Insider testing over the last year.  However, this is my first experience with this situation.  Oh yes, the fertilizer seems to still have traces of crap.  :cool:

• 1 month later...

I'm lucky to have three powerful WIndows Workstations and one server at my disposal.  I'm happy to be able to continue to run Windows 7 on one, Windows 8.1 on one, and Windows 10 on two of them, because I believe that gives me perspective.  And finally I'm additionally fortunate to be able to make a number of virtual machines, because there's where risky testing can be done, with near zero consequences.

In the past week I brought two of my hardware workstations up to Windows 10 v1909 build 18363.900 (June updates) and things are going pretty well I guess.  It's still more a pleasure to use the desktop on my Win 8.1 system, frozen at a December 2017 update level (and measurably more efficient than the Win 10 systems at doing the same things).

I also brought a VM up to Win 10 v2004 and that actually was a pretty smooth process, and it runs OK I guess, though it is more bloated than ever before and has more tendency to contact online servers (as detected by my non-standard firewall setup) via some new services.

I sure wish I had some confidence that the engineering of Windows was going in the right direction.  But from the most superficial (desktop appearance) to the murky, geeky depths (online comm observations, Explorer quirks, and a number of other things) it honestly just doesn't look like it's going anywhere except in a spiral around a whirlpool.

Sigh.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 4 weeks later...

Who knew you can get stuck in the situation without sound with default audio driver. I unplugged headphones from the back jack because I needed them somewhere else. When I plugged them back, they were no longer detected! Or the system just pretended the back jack doesn't exist. They were still detected on the front jack, but this one broke in the early years so no sound comes out if it.

Rebooting by itself didn't help. What helped was turning off EnableDynamicDevices setting in the registry in the sub-key GlobalSettings under the key representing the sound card (see here).

Edited by UCyborg

12 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Who knew you can get stuck in the situation without sound with default audio driver. I unplugged headphones from the back jack because I needed them somewhere else. When I plugged them back, they were no longer detected! Or the system just pretended the back jack doesn't exist. They were still detected on the front jack, but this one broke in the early years so no sound comes out if it.

Rebooting by itself didn't help. What helped was turning off EnableDynamicDevices setting in the registry in the sub-key GlobalSettings under the key representing the sound card (see here).

SCOOP!

Your headphones are Un-Dynamic (or possibly Static)! ;) (according to the good guys that needed 8 and 8.1 to better Windows 7 into 10 :whistle:)

jaclaz

While I clearly remember having problems with front jack in terms of having to mess manually with headphone connector to get the sound, that doesn't seem to be problem now. Not sure what to make of that and certain details from back then aren't clear enough. I clearly remember interference caused by nearby USB ports activity though, still a thing.

Anyway, I wonder what's the deal with that setting. If both back and front jacks are used, sound will be sent to the device plugged to the front jack. That's with EnableDynamicDevices=0. But isn't that supposed to be standard behavior with default setting as well?

Also, are you supposed to see two separate entries in Control Panel->Sound->Playback tab under any circumstance with default driver, one for headphones (front jack) and one for speakers (back jack)? It's all crammed into one here.

• 2 months later...

Windows 10 v2004 has gone on my hardware as of a month or two ago, and has REQUIRED me to reboot it to resurrect functionality now about 3 or 4 times.  That UNHEARD OF with a modern kernel.  This is hardware that was running the prior version from month to month with no reboots except after updates.  I had to install v2004 because of considerations for the company I work for (big Fall release and we needed people testing it on the latest Windows).

Why the reboots?

• Let's see - my webcam stopped working; in a work-from-home scenario that doesn't work.  USB problems?
  • At another point my software-defined radio stopped working and could only be recovered after a reboot.  Also USB.
  • Got a blue screen running my web browser playing a video from YouTube.  First actual crash in years.
  • Most recently a Visual Studio install required a reboot after.  That's not Windows' fault; but Microsoft's nonetheless.

If you can hold off upgrading to v2004 for longer, I suggest you continue to do so.  This OS is not yet stable.  What's scary is that it's about the first one not to be stabilized before the next one has come out.  Microsoft is failing.

-Noel

For the interface, use Open Shell:

There are additional built-in features, but I don't often use them ATM:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-Windows-10-Start-menu-design-official-plus-other-UI-tweaks-in-the-pipeline.478916.0.html

Also, dark and night mode, Power Toys, etc.

In addition, I don't bother forcing updates and instead let them take place by default. For telemetry, I settled for O&O Shut Up and Windows Privacy Dashboard. I also didn't bother with hardening and just used whatever third-party free antimalware's available.

Edited by monkeylove

I have a laptop with 8 gb ram and a mobile i7, did a memtest, results are fine, no issues, nothing wrong with cpu either and recently replaced hdd with a kingston ssd, however this time I decided to install Windows 10 v2004 instead of going straight for Windows 8 to see if I was wrong about it. And when I tried to run 1 virtual machine, after 10 minutes the system bluescreened. And what is with the memory usage, what is 3,2/8 on idle, it feels like the once incredible Microsoft I knew in the earlier times has took off for just money and forcing updates that do nothing, oh and it was a clean install with all updates installed afterwards, I was running workstation 16.

So I installed Windows 8 again (8.0, the system doesn't support win7) and suddenly the problem is gone and nothing is wrong. Memory usage idles at something like 1.0,1.1/8 gb and everything else also works, did a memtest again and nothing is wrong there either. Either I'm imagining things or Windows has entered the process of death. I can only imagine what would happen if I replaced Win7 on my main with Win10, chaos. even with 16gb, the damn thing wouldn't hold.

Microsoft only wants money in these times, they don't care about how their operating system performs, all that happens is few indian scammers who have been accepted into dev team keep releasing useless updates just for spyware and nothing else. While every other employee enjoys the millions that comes in every day, it's dead, the stop is here, time to turn around and go back.

Windows as I once knew how it was like in those old 2000's with XP and vista, those days will never return, we're stuck with a resource hog that can't even perform the simplest action of virtualization. What else is next?

Btw what virtualization software were you using?    OK my bad missed that VMware Workstation 16.

Anyway my experience about Windows 10 in a VM is pretty much the same. It runs especially bad inside a VM i.e. as a guest OS. Windows 8.1 and earlier are extremely snappy in a VM and less resource-consuming.

Edited by xpclient