Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

It says... Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.557).

That is the same release as my MacBook using BootCamp to run a Windows 10 Pro 32 bit system.  Your system may be a 64 bit PC.  On my system, I changed the settings in Windows so that the PC never powered down anything and never went to sleep under any conditions. So my systems just runs until I use the Apple Host software to restart the system in the Apple Host.  Then I shut the computer down so it will come up in the Mac mode.  From the Mac I can select the BootCamp or the Mac system to restart.  So far this release has run with no problems but I have restricted a lot of the parameters that allow Windows 10 Pro to gather a lot of information and also allows a lot of apps to do whatever.  I guess that I just don't trust this Crap.  :cool:  But this Crap is doing pretty good so far.  :unsure:

I "solved" it by disabling sleep timeout for the monitor. But in reality, it was caused by Windows Update changing the video driver. I remember exactly when it installed that driver because the screen had flickered and it made the connect/disconnect sound. I found in Event Viewer that a new video driver was installed a few minutes prior to that happening.

• 2 weeks later...

And - after a long time I didn't come across a "by design" change - here is one:

Microsoft explains the lack of Registry backups in Windows 10
by Martin Brinkmann on June 29, 2019 

We noticed back in October 2018 that Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system was not creating Registry backups anymore.

The scheduled task to create the backups was still running and the run result indicated that the operation completed successfully, but Registry backups were not created anymore.

Previous versions of Windows 10 created these backups and placed them in the C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack folder. The backups could be used to restore the Windows Registry to an earlier state.

Microsoft published a new support page recently that brings light into the darkness. The company notes that the change is by-design and thus not a bug. The change was implemented in Windows 10 version 1803 and all newer versions of Windows 10 are affected by it.

Microsoft made the change to reduce the size of Windows on the system.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/06/29/microsoft-explains-the-lack-of-registry-backups-in-windows-10/

The actual MS page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4509719/the-system-registry-is-no-longer-backed-up-to-the-regback-folder-start

Basically, a scheduled task intended to backup something goes through without errors AND it creates the files BUT it creats them 0 bytes in size.

I thought there was - even if much farther than I would have liked it to be - a limit ...

And they also have the courage to call what actually made the backup[1] "legacy backup behavior" :w00t:

jaclaz

[1] i.e. essentially a command actually doing what was expected from it

Aren't there better solutions to cut down the Windows size?

How about removing UWP?

Or cutting down WinSxS of duplicate files? :P

I won't try to find logic in Microsoft's decisions from now on, I was really trying, but they somehow always find a way to get to a new low...like AAA game companies :P

Not that OEMs are any smarter forcing full Windows 10 installations on devices with 16/32GB of storage. Many complains arise when people try to update them to newest Windows 10 iterations... :)

Remember that System Restore is turned off by default in Windows 10. :)

5 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

How about removing UWP?

That one would actually save a lot of space, considering some of the bundled UWP packages (such as the Photos app) occupy more than 200MB!

Edited by greenhillmaniac

21 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

Not that OEMs are any smarter forcing full Windows 10 installations on devices with 16/32GB of storage. Many complains arise when people try to update them to newest Windows 10 iterations... :)

There can be various reasons for this, but I would presume that said OEMs are trying to square peg a round hole in their market share. Microsoft makes builds for all sorts of different classes of hardware. If an OEM were to want to create a device that had a small amount of storage, they should be using one of the SKUs specifically designed for such devices, and not be using one of the desktop products. Licensing and product knowledge are things that you would think a company would know, but usually design decisions are not made from the bottom up. Meaning, those who do work with the software and hardware directly are not the ones who would recommend product configurations for their company to sell. The other issue is that most people are willing to just do as directed in order to not cause a fuss or shine a light onto themselves. So bad configurations end up getting into the marketplace because the guy who thought it was dumb just did it anyways. Then, of course, there is the other thing: No one really cares about anything except making a quick buck.

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of how the iPhone 5c only has 3-4GB of usable storage after installing iOS 8. :P

Also, I hate that W10 could cater to experienced users or something but instead decided to do the exact opposite, focus on people who’ll only go on mobile nowadays and cater to the needs of someone who has never used a PC before despite the fact they never will... BSODs tell you nothing now, for instance :/

Edited by hydro2duo

• 4 weeks later...

Some August news:

https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2019/Aug/0

PowerShell can potentially execute arbitrary code when running specially
named scripts due to trusting unsanitized filenames.

The good MS guys were seemingly not particularly impressed, however :dubbio::

[Disclosure Timeline]
Vendor Notification: July 20, 2019
MSRC "does not meet the bar for security servicing" : July 23, 2019
August 1, 2019 : Public Disclosure

jaclaz

Windows 10 ran like crap on my main. It was slower than win2k and Ubuntu, probably because my main only has a Pentium Dual-Core processor, 2GB RAM and 128MB VRAM.

Also you cannot get rid of Edge.

Edited by ~~KILOE~~

• 2 months later...

Hi guys!

Getting several friends harping on about how good LTSC is...?! Ok forgive me if I am stating the obvious....all of your attempts to remove Windows 10 of crap and they come with this version without a lot of the crap....?!:buehehe: Now that is funny....come on....it is hilarious....

As if that is going to make Windows 10 better......yes....I admit more usable but still crap from where I am standing......

Sorry I am a little late with this about LTSC....been busy all summer trying to get my cottage finished......lol

bookie32

Not in LTSC myself, rather older version LTSB. I only have use for it for compatibility reasons. I'm not looking to be runnings "apps" rather "programs" and outside of using something like Server 2019, an LTSB/C edition of Windows 10 does just nicely.

Can you do unit conversions in the classic win32 calculator? It crashes on me in LTSC 2019.

But yes, the OS is finally usable on a 5400 rpm HDD after replacing an OEM-bloated Windows 10 Home!

Edited by win32
grammar