Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

On 9/13/2018 at 1:59 PM, RanCorX2 said:

disable auto updates and update when a full windows build goes public

How do you manage to keep updates disabled? Currently using registry value *NdisDeviceType set to 1 (type DWORD) under my network adapter key, these keys can be found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}, refer to DriverDesc value of each numbered key to find the right one.

This works, but also disables some of the networking functionality, so it's not the best approach. If I disable the update services (BITS, UsoSvc, wuauserv, WaaSMedicSvc) through conventional means (sc config <service name> start= disabled) and the tasks in UpdateOrchestrator, WaaSMedic, WindowsUpdate folders, all of these just re-enable themselves eventually.

What prevents these services from even starting is removing them from the lists in registry in the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

Requires reboot to take effect and failures of service startup are logged. I've seen Windows Update MiniTool mentioned, which I haven't tried yet; does it have any magic options to keep updates disabled? I'd prefer something at least convenient as just disabling those services and re-enabling them when I want to update, so I'm open to suggestions.

i've been using wumt since it was released as that has a simple disable auto updates setting.

wum looks good, didn't know someone else had made one, seems like it's got a few more features but still nice and simple.

wumt hasn't been updated since dec 2016 but still works.

Edited by RanCorX2

I thought Configure Automatic Updates policy in gpedit.msc was completely ineffective these days. Turned out WU was already downloading updates in the background when I was testing its effectiveness a while back, making it seem like it doesn't do anything.

2 hours ago, RanCorX2 said:

i've been using wumt since it was released as that has a simple disable auto updates setting.

Thanks for confirming. I see that it alters registry settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate key. I was aware of the settings there, just unsure about their long-term effectiveness.

I see Windows Update Mini Tool and Windows Update Manager have similar interface, the latter also has some radical options to block the updates: capping the Update Orchestrator service and blocking access to update servers by utilizing policy settings for re-directing update service away from Microsoft's update servers.

• 2 weeks later...

On a previous Windows Update the Microsoft Store app was gone.  Tried several times this last month to get it back.  Finally came across TheWindowsClub online which gave step by step instructions to get the Store back.  It is still Windows 10 but the deck is a little better now.  One more tool for the Windows PCs.

looks like the Windows 10 v1809 October 2018 Update seems to be released prematurely as a bunch of serious problems came up:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-prepares-re-release-windows-10-october-2018-update

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-october-2018-update-problems-complaints

https://www.windowscentral.com/fix-blue-screen-death-after-getting-october-patch-tuesday-windows-10

(warning: do NOT install nor update to the 1809 version if using any HP brand computer...yet)

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-has-pulled-windows-10-october-2018-update-users-files-go-missing

Edited by erpdude8

The older builds also have/had issues, some are never addressed. Recently, I needed to transfer some files to another computer, used plain file shares. The Windows 10 computer never appeared in the Network folder, neither on the machine in question itself nor on the other computer from which I wanted to access the files. It could be accessed by manually typing its hostname.

That bug with deleting user files is on the whole new level. It just never ends. We're not even talking about abusing the software with crazy combinations of user input.

i think we can add microsoft to the list of terrible developers now, i think they belong up high close to dice (battlefield / battlefront) as with each new release, the bugs increase and the product becomes less and less usable.

Edited by RanCorX2

2 hours ago, RanCorX2 said:

i think we can add microsoft to the list of terrible developers now, i think they belong up high close to dice (battlefield / battlefront) as with each new release, the bugs increase and the product becomes less and less usable.

You do understand the pleonastic nature of "now", dont you?

I have them on the list since 2001[1], JFYI. ;)

jaclaz

[1] killing of Windows 2000 in favour of XP, if you ask, but they were tentatively put there around 1999 with the infamous Windows 2000 trial CD that silently killed the NTFS of not updated NT 4.00 and anyway killed its CHKDISK even on updated ones.

Edited by jaclaz

Still getting computers with Windows 10 preinstalled dying after less than two years old...

I have warned my customers to turn off updates for drivers but I still don't trust this s*** further than I can throw it..

Also tell my customers that it helps when living on the top floor of our block of flats that it helps when throwing their laptops😈😈😈

Here's another f***up in 1809. Using Explorer to handle ZIP files for some reason? Well, if you try to extract a file into a destination folder where the file with the same name exists, extraction will silently fail without presenting a dialog asking whether to overwrite the file.

well guys I think the OP should feel either justified or vindicated since the quality of these recent Win10 feature upgrades have seemed to have gone downhill.

check out this recent article from The Register:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/23/microsoft_windows_10_crisis/

also check out one of Paul Thurrott's recent articles from his web site:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/189344/windows-10-version-1809-suffers-from-yet-another-data-loss-bug