Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

3 minutes ago, vinifera said:

shiiit, win98 worked better haha

Win98?????  Did it ever work????

The want-a-be Windows 10 October 2018 release is quite good when compared to Win98!  Haven't forgotten the wasted hours from 20 years ago.  Windows 10 for October 2018 if it does get released now is a better vintage of crap!  The MacBook will get to live with the next released version of Win 10, the prerelease is already running on it.  Just a Wisconsin farm kid who learned to live with the finer aspects of crap.  :cool:

I think I'm getting a [new to me] laptop this year with Win 10. From what I've read/heard, it seems like a resource/bandwidth hog, but looks like it will keep me busy regardless. Just seems (from what others say) It make things that should be, straightforward, difficult in comparison to XP; I will be skipping over 7 and 8 totally, and jumping right into 10, so this will be quite the learning curve for me - I used 98 (and 95 for that matter) right up until 207 until I even went to XP :D I have XP trimmed down to the bare-bones basics and will find it annoying to have so much running in the background.. maybe better from a security aspect, though seems not the case in the privacy department.

Oh well.. here's to progress lol :)

Edited by sal here
spelling

Ah, 98SE! I really miss being able to simply install it and get online with the stock IE 5 (all but impossible nowadays).

Windows 2000 with blackwingcat's extended core is a decent compromise. The UI is largely identical to that of 98SE, with a few additions and enhancements (and some new icons), but the architecture is much more modern (even without BWC's updates).

Anyway, I have an odd question: how do I initiate a version upgrade? Like, say I want to upgrade Windows 10 from 1511 to the current version (1807?). How do I go about it without going through a bunch of rigamarole to download an ISO and reinstall (something I'm willing to do if need be, but would rather avoid if possible)?

Since the world seems to be moving on, for better or worse, I feel I should at least be aware of new developments, and be able to play with them in a safe environment (an isolated VM on my MacBook) so I can help people out somewhat (my Windows XP/Vista/7 knowledge is becoming obsolescent).

c

Version upgrades just come from Windows Update. So if you have made your settings to defer updates and have set metered connection, those may need to be undone to get WU to download the newer version. I do recommend that you do the upgrade while physically connected to a network, rather than over wireless.

18 hours ago, BudwS said:

Windows 10 for October 2018 if it does get released now

....and with this new policy that (they) just put in only 64-bit stuff it still took 6hours to get it working on my Acer laptop :buehehe:

Edited by mikedigitize

1 hour ago, mikedigitize said:

....and with this new policy that (they) just put in only 64-bit stuff it still took 6hours to get it working on my Acer laptop :buehehe:

An interesting thought.  The MacBook has the 32 bit Windows 10 version but has a x64-based processor.  Just did the quit Insider task to keep the MacBook on 1809.  I may be laughing quite a bit in the next few months.  Which ever way the comedy flows.  The Apple does some magic things with software.  :thumbup

11 hours ago, cc333 said:

Anyway, I have an odd question: how do I initiate a version upgrade? Like, say I want to upgrade Windows 10 from 1511 to the current version (1807?). How do I go about it without going through a bunch of rigamarole to download an ISO and reinstall (something I'm willing to do if need be, but would rather avoid if possible)?

c

Search for "Media Creation Tool" may get you some options.

I ended up downloading the ISO and installing it over the older version, so now I'm running build 17763.1. It was surprisingly easy.

Everything appears to be more or less the same, other than more junk (not surprised), the traditional Personalize control panel from Wind 7 through 8.1 is gone (I don't like the one in the Settings app very much), and Aero Glass is broken (newest version, 1.5.9, seems to only support up to 17134; is a new version for 17763 in the works?) It's also quite sluggish compared to the old build.

So now starts the fun part of stripping the junk out. Anyone have ideas on how I may accomplish that? Scripts? Apps (the Win32 kind)??

I suspect that, when I'm done, what I'll have will be essentially the same as the previous build I had installed (it was one or two beyond RTM... 1511?)

c

Edited by cc333

5 hours ago, cc333 said:

the traditional Personalize control panel from Wind 7 through 8.1 is gone

Just inaccessible (even though registry entries are still in place) and slightly dumbed down in functionality (some links redirect to Settings app).

Put this in Explorer's address bar:

shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}

Or this to get to the good old desktop background interface (as the regular link redirects to Settings app):

shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}\pageWallpaper

Check out Winaero Tweaker, it can put the link to the first with one click in Control Panel. Some things may still need manual registry editing to get them the way you like, eg. you can make both Open command window here and Open PowerShell window here available in right-click context menus (requires holding Shift by default) if you search for a value HideBasedOnVelocityId in registry. Those values are only present in keys referencing Command Prompt option in context menus, effectively causing the option to be hidden. I noticed PowerShell keys contain the setting that has the opposite effect (ShowBasedOnVelocityId). I just deleted those *BasedOnVelocityId values to get both options. Winaero Tweaker does have an option to add the Command Prompt option, but it adds a new context menu entry instead, which isn't localized.

5 hours ago, cc333 said:

and Aero Glass is broken (newest version, 1.5.9, seems to only support up to 17134; is a new version for 17763 in the works?)

It usually takes few months before non-debug version of Aero Glass for the current Win10 build is made, eg. for Windows 10 Build 17134, it was compiled on July 20.

Edited by UCyborg
Added Aero Glass note

probably been asked, but do mac os upda

14 hours ago, cc333 said:

I ended up downloading the ISO and installing it over the older version, so now I'm running build 17763.1. It was surprisingly easy.

Everything appears to be more or less the same, other than more junk (not surprised), the traditional Personalize control panel from Wind 7 through 8.1 is gone (I don't like the one in the Settings app very much), and Aero Glass is broken (newest version, 1.5.9, seems to only support up to 17134; is a new version for 17763 in the works?) It's also quite sluggish compared to the old build.

So now starts the fun part of stripping the junk out. Anyone have ideas on how I may accomplish that? Scripts? Apps (the Win32 kind)??

I suspect that, when I'm done, what I'll have will be essentially the same as the previous build I had installed (it was one or two beyond RTM... 1511?)

c

batch files would be a starting point to stripping stuff out. already done it on my rs4 install. don't rely on programs such as ntlite (expensive for what it does) which don't really give you an idea on what breaks after removing components, only the odd greyed out components due to vague compatibilty reasons.

best way to do it is in a virtual machine and start removing stuff, use checkpoints along the way to go back when windows shats a brick. i learnt by doing it myself.

i've slimmed down th1 to rs4 so far, each time i add more stuff to my batches and also comment out lines that need to be ignored.

Edited by RanCorX2

On 9/30/2018 at 3:51 AM, RanCorX2 said:

it makes you feel stupid because of the basic ui of the settings app, you have too look for everything as it's all different...

i'm working on a project that restores old features (on mdl forums) it removes as much of the modern features as possible and replaces them with bits n bobs from windows 7 and early builds of 8 & 10 where some old stuff still worked. doesn't replace / restore all the stuff that's gone because somethings like screen resolution are gone from the old ui. 3rd party apps are used instead. so far i've made my project compatible with th1 through to rs4, no rls yet as i'm still working on stuff but it makes 10 feel / look like 7. it's not just "install visual style and enjoy"

it's a complete tidy of all the metro / modern garbage which gets binned and replaced. leaving a snappy and clean os. (was already snappy) but it's now got almost zero metro processes (only explorer, fontdrvhost & sihost remain) so the bare minimum. no runtime broker, no applicationframe.exe, no searchui.exe, no shellexperiencehost.exe etc.

clasic shell / open shell is my menu + w7 menu skin + w7 taskbar skin + w7 start button

the only thing i'm missing is the close item from taskbar, however because thumbnails are still working, you can just right click and close from them, folders are stacked and can be right click close as well.

if you wanted the shell menu back to close items, you need startisback++ as that's the only one with the old taskbar shell closing w7 feature afaik.

Link to the forum post on MDL please?

On 10/4/2018 at 2:08 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

It's funny, many of the reasons stated in that article for saying no to the LTSC are precisely the reasons why I'm saying yes!

On 10/4/2018 at 6:15 AM, UCyborg said:

Just inaccessible (even though registry entries are still in place) and slightly dumbed down in functionality (some links redirect to Settings app).

Put this in Explorer's address bar:

shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921} 

Or this to get to the good old desktop background interface (as the regular link redirects to Settings app):

shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}\pageWallpaper

That helped. Thanks!

I must say, MS has really ruined the whole experience for me! I remember saying that about the "new" Windows Vista control panel, but it still had some logic to it, and thus I was able to adjust to it over time (plus, it did genuinely get better in Windows 7, and even 8.1, for what it's worth, had some very good improvements, not only for the CP, but for the OS as a whole; too bad it got mostly cancelled out by all that Metro stuff), but this Settings app... everything's so obtuse and difficult to find it's driving me nuts!

MS has become a master of obfuscation, and I can't stand it!!

c

Edited by cc333