Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

On 6/17/2018 at 1:47 PM, NoelC said:

TLDR:  I experienced a REAL 8% drop in performance to bring it up to the current patch level, vs. keeping it at last December's patch level.

This is EXACTLY what I experienced with Windows 7 on another machine as well.

You could always switch to the Security Only updates... Just install the Monthly Rollup for December, avoid any January updates and then continue patching with Security Only patches. This guarantees that you keep your system safe without any Meltdown/Spectre fixes

Um, aren't the Meltdown/Spectre fixes security?

I guess you could be implying that if I avoid that specific security patch the kernel won't be rebuilt with whatever performance robbing changes they've made...

I'm not sure I'm willing to mix and match patches like that.  Software is rarely so compartmentalized that something won't depend on something else.

That being said, I actually AM keeping Internet Explorer up to date.  Those IE modules alone don't seem to kill the performance.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On 6/18/2018 at 9:46 AM, Tripredacus said:

@NoelC are you comparing OS states from before vs after the Spectre/Meltdown updates?

Yes, and with the Spectre/Meltdown mitigations specifically disabled.

There is a (smaller but still significant) performance degradation baked into the kernel.

-Noel

On 6/23/2018 at 5:59 AM, NoelC said:

I'm not sure I'm willing to mix and match patches like that.  Software is rarely so compartmentalized that something won't depend on something else.

When I tried to be smarter than Microsoft when it comes to updating strategy, I ended up with Explorer that continuously leaked memory. Then I risked re-installing Windows on top of existing installation, aka. repair install, something I haven't done since XP days. Results were catastrophic back then, turned my computer into a slow turtle.

Fortunately, the original problem was fixed and I haven't encountered any major problems that would involve more than re-installing/re-applying an odd program/registry tweak or two.

• 3 weeks later...

Is amount of time to update a factor of crap?  The latest Build of Windows 10 Pro Insider, 17713, completed the update on Friday the 13th, 7/13/18.  The update started on 7/12/18 and completed after about 20 hours with one retry question which was answered, "Yes."

Me!

From 2002-2006, XP wasn't the greatest (2000 was better), but by sometime  around 2007, XP matured quite nicely, and it was a pleasure to use. 

Who knows, maybe 10 will mature and become stable and useful someday?

I won't hold my breath, though. 

c

XP was the greatest Windows ever and a HUGE, HUGE leap over Windows 2000 in every possible way, right from day 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_XP With SP2 and SP3, the security was bolstered too. Windows 10 is truly the apocalypse and dumb people are to be blamed for accepting it and the shite that started with Windows Vista, got worse with 8/8.1 and eventually the malware-OS, 10.

Edited by xpclient

4 hours ago, xpclient said:

... a HUGE, HUGE leap over Windows 2000 in every possible way, right from day 1:

In one word, NO.

It is simply Windows 2000 with some bells and whistles added on.

jaclaz

8 hours ago, xpclient said:

...a HUGE, HUGE leap over Windows 2000 in every possible way, right from day 1:

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

In one word, NO.

:roll1:

@dencorso

@jaclaz

@xpclient

I thought I could have multiple mentions on a single line? Guess not...

Anyway, I think you're all right! At first, XP was little more than a slightly tweaked 2000 with some extra features and a fancy UI theme, but later on, and especially after SP2, XP began to evolve well beyond 2000, gaining more advanced security and more modern features (which, I suppose was inevitable since 2000 was EOL'ed in 2010).

c

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

of  course one can... @jaclaz @xpclient @dencorso ... I don't see why not...

Hmm, I guess I'm dumb then :lol:

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

Now, changing subjects, @jaclaz, the finder, is always right (by definition) :P
If not, the pillars of reality may crumble! :ph34r:
All others may or may not be right, however... :yes:

This is funny :D

c

36 minutes ago, cc333 said:

Hmm, I guess I'm dumb then :lol:

Not at all! :no: The board software is behaving strangely after the latest update... what with random unwarranted "403 - Forbidden" errors and the like. But I'm sure xper will fix that soon. :) 

On 7/19/2018 at 7:51 PM, jaclaz said:

In one word, NO.

jaclaz

Never mind. It's a matter of opinion. I don't think the features mentioned in the link I posted are bells and whistles. They're all sorts of important improvements.