Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

9 hours ago, bookie32 said:

We are all aware of the fact that even purpose built computers for Windows 10 are experiencing problems with the crappy updates..."Crator's Edition" my arse! The couldn't create a p***** in a brewery....

bookie32

Nicely put!

Have you noticed any computer service degradation at places that you shop?  Like: "The computer is slow today." or "Wait, we needed to reboot the PC." or "The PC won't start."  When I hear these comments, my first thought is that the computer system was updated to Win 10.  US politics are sort of like W10 these days.  Many people are voting for Win 7, replace the Win 10's, as a result of the situation to get back to some stable politics (An analogy).  :unsure::cool:

Bud

Just throwing in my complaints.

1. DirectX and Nvidia drivers don't play well with each other, causing high DPC Latency, this issue was in Win 8 as well and affects even people with High End systems. The negative side effect of this is sluggish response from the system, causing audio stutters, sometimes making videos sound like a sound effect used in The Matrix.

2. No Windows Classic Shell. Seriously some people love the old Windows 9X look, myself included and I work in the Graphics Industry. I'd take it over the current look any day.

3. Windows Update...It always breaks, making me jump through hoops to get it working again. When it does work, it installs crap I don't want.

4. Windows Store, installs random crapware without my permission, uninstalled apps sometimes reappear. I don't even want Windows Store at all, will never buy anything from there.

5. XBox. I'm a gamer, but only on PC and only play games from Steam, GoG or Itch.io, i'll never buy a console. I don't want it on my workstation and even then it causes issues with game performance with it's crappy capture service.

6. Settings screens, whoever the UX designer was and their director was and those that signed off on the idea should be slapped. There is nothing wrong with the old control panel, I've managed to use it since my preteens in the 90's without hassle.

7. Accessing camera's, microphones, folders, personal information. No, just no, I don't trust it at all and refuse to ever accept it, no matter what their excuse.

8. UI customization has never felt this limited, can't scale the borders, can't change the font, colors etc easily. Have to resort to third party hacks.

9. The Apps, all terrible, only the Calculator is ever in use on my side, everything else has been replaced with Third Party tools. All of it makes me think of some bad Javascript based app made with Electron with minimal features.

10. I have to waste my time jumping through hoops to remove all this crap, disable components & services, change registry keys, downloading third party software, only to still sit with a bloated POS/OS that can't even run new hardware properly. Even Vista does a better job as an OS.

If only software devs would develop for FreeBSD or Linux...and maybe M$ could hire CS students that still see the value in programming in a language like C.

10 hours ago, Spoopy said:

only the Calculator is ever in use on my side

Its funny, I went into a co-workers office one day he has Windows 10 on his workstation with multiple monitors. He had calculator opened on one of them and it was comically large! It took like 3/4 of the screen!

Even on the MS Store page, you can see how large it is in the example screenshots.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/windows-calculator/9wzdncrfhvn5

Now imagine how it looks, by default, on a 22" monitor! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

ts funny, I went into a co-workers office one day he has Windows 10 on his workstation with multiple monitors. He had calculator opened on one of them and it was comically large! It took like 3/4 of the screen!

Yes it is ridiculous, especially when using the other modes, it's very uncomfortable even on screens running 1366x768.

13 hours ago, Spoopy said:

Just throwing in my complaints.

1. DirectX and Nvidia drivers don't play well with each other, causing high DPC Latency, this issue was in Win 8 as well and affects even people with High End systems. The negative side effect of this is sluggish response from the system, causing audio stutters, sometimes making videos sound like a sound effect used in The Matrix.

2. No Windows Classic Shell. Seriously some people love the old Windows 9X look, myself included and I work in the Graphics Industry. I'd take it over the current look any day.

3. Windows Update...It always breaks, making me jump through hoops to get it working again. When it does work, it installs crap I don't want.

4. Windows Store, installs random crapware without my permission, uninstalled apps sometimes reappear. I don't even want Windows Store at all, will never buy anything from there.

5. XBox. I'm a gamer, but only on PC and only play games from Steam, GoG or Itch.io, i'll never buy a console. I don't want it on my workstation and even then it causes issues with game performance with it's crappy capture service.

6. Settings screens, whoever the UX designer was and their director was and those that signed off on the idea should be slapped. There is nothing wrong with the old control panel, I've managed to use it since my preteens in the 90's without hassle.

7. Accessing camera's, microphones, folders, personal information. No, just no, I don't trust it at all and refuse to ever accept it, no matter what their excuse.

8. UI customization has never felt this limited, can't scale the borders, can't change the font, colors etc easily. Have to resort to third party hacks.

9. The Apps, all terrible, only the Calculator is ever in use on my side, everything else has been replaced with Third Party tools. All of it makes me think of some bad Javascript based app made with Electron with minimal features.

10. I have to waste my time jumping through hoops to remove all this crap, disable components & services, change registry keys, downloading third party software, only to still sit with a bloated POS/OS that can't even run new hardware properly. Even Vista does a better job as an OS.

If only software devs would develop for FreeBSD or Linux...and maybe M$ could hire CS students that still see the value in programming in a language like C.

Very well said. There are many, many more issues but you covered most of them. If I get started, I'll run out of time to criticize this Windows 10 monstrosity. I can't believe how much this degenerate system has devolved from my beloved Windows XP Professional. It is out of control !!

I hate how W10 condescends to the user and it honestly feels like a bunch of HTML/JS hipster-built apps cobbled together on top of the NT 6 kernel with unfitting and seemingly random interfaces that demands an always-on connection to mine your data.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Windows 10 Insider Prerelease Holidays:  The Dell laptop got the 17063, Win 10 Pro Update and installed it with no issues in a little over 3 hours.  The "Other Forum" indicated that some Surface PCs couldn't get the prerelease to install. I would think that an MS PC would have no issues installing MS software.  Not withstanding the W10 design faults mentioned in previous entries, this prerelease works well with at least 5 browsers that all have Ghostery installed, even Edge.  Now if the MS developers would just read the issues identified in this particular Forum Thread and correct the "Design Faults, " the crap might turn.  It's probably a political thing.  Mentioning politics, 2018 should be an exciting year in which there will be a lot of laughs.  Even operating system software development provides many laughs.  Laughs seem to be the "good" in this "Worst Crap Ever!"

i'm almost ready to share something that app haters might like.

i've done extensive registry searching and file searching, looking for all the bits for the appx part of windows and have be stripping it away bit by bit.

(the idea is to remove every trace of apps after uninstalling them via powershell)

been doing it on a test install (vmware + rs3)

started out with issues such as start menu not opening and loosing right click on taskbar but have now passed that, several hundred registry keys removed, nearly all traces of each app removed, windows still works fine.

only thing you need to keep is immersive control panel + shell experience host (or taskbar / start menu stops working) 

how i've done the cleaning is via several powershell scripts that trawl the registry using wildcards to delete stuff, also power shell scripts to take ownership of keys first.

plus some manual reg files to delete stuff that doesn't need wildcards, i used them because lots of keys have version numbers of the apps and you'd have to update the scripts each time you upgrade windows.

now i only need to check regedit if new apps get added in next windows rls and then add them to my scripts.

used install_wim_tweak to remove edge, holographic, ppi & cortana (only shows icon on taskbar if enabled) after removals only app left in start menu is windows defender security center.

things left to do;

file / folder removals from system32/syswow64

still gotta remove stuff from user profile folders

infusedapps - removed (windows folder)

windowsapps folder - removed (program files not x86 folder)

systemapps - removed (keeps shell exp host)

printdialog - removed (windows folder, used for edge, modern printing)

also removed a bunch of windows services required for apps and the store + all xbox support files.

i'll add it to my onedrive in my tweak toolkit thread when it's all finalised, should be usable on windows 10 original rtm through to rs3.

--------------------------------

After that i'm going to do some language cleanup scripts that'll remove all traces of unused languages from your windows 10 install like the folders in system32 and kb layouts, will also shrink winsxs, i did this a while back but never finished the project.

it's all part of my tweaking windows toolkit, much safer and easier than wasting money on stuff like ntlite. (when in doubt, do it yourself)

i found all my old scripts for removing stuff on a usb drive recently so will be adding some or all them too, depending on which ones are still useful.

Edited by RanCorX2

The thing i hate the most about w10 is windows updates, they always get to 99% on the reboot and then it's "undoing changes" such a broken pos.

all started when they decided to do these massive all in one hotfixes rather than little ones which usually installed just fine. I can't remember the last hotfix that actually installed 100%, must of been on the original windows 10 rtm or 8, the more stuff they change the more stuff they seem to break. 

i'm at the point where i don't even bother with updates anymore, i just wait for the next full w10 build to go public and upgrade.

i guess the only way to apply updates would be to add them to an image and make an iso but i can't be bothered to do that as you have to keep updating the iso and then install windows again....

(i've tried the restore health thing which is also broken as it always asks for source files even when the source is specified, i just gave up in the end as my install works fine apart from updates not installing)

as for apps, they suck too, i didn't find any useful ones for use on pc, only on my windows phone (a free mp3 player called audiobit with folder playback) it seems apps are tailored for tablets and phones, they are just too basic and dumbed down for desktop use, that and the store / platform is a useless pile of garbage as you still can't backup downloaded apps and games because of encryption & file, folder permissions

it's true what they say, the platform is a wall garden, you can't move stuff to another pc, only to another drive on your pc, if you try and move say a game, your loose the file, folder permissions and the store wants to re-download the game and at 50+gb and the slow download speeds it's a pita.

apart from all the broken and useless crap, windows 10 is nice and stable (apart from the very first rtm which sucked) i don't bother with insider builds as i can't be arsed to upgrade again and again so soon.

honestly i wish they'd ditch the insiders thing as all they keep doing is adding more features that are of no use to the average user, it's just an excuse to make windows more bloated.

i don't see the point of including enterprise stuff in pro or the mixed reality stuff when that should be an optional feature and not a built in feature, making edge built in, keep expanding hyper-v stuff which again should be in enterprise as it's probably not going to be used by home users, as we have vmware, virtualbox.

Edited by RanCorX2

Didn't they say something about feature updates not reinstalling the whole OS again? Or is that for the future feature updates? Once again, it took forever to upgrade to on my low-end laptop (4+ hours).

Somehow it survived all updates and upgrades so far. OS was first installed on November 2015 and still works.

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Didn't they say something about feature updates not reinstalling the whole OS again? Or is that for the future feature updates? Once again, it took forever to upgrade to on my low-end laptop (4+ hours).

Somehow it survived all updates and upgrades so far. OS was first installed on November 2015 and still works.

well generally speaking all the big build updates are essentially upgrade installation (in the same way of win7->10 upgrade) which are basically the novemberupdate aka 1511, the annoversary update 1607 or so, the creators Update aka 1703 and the Fall Creators Update (1709 iirc) and obviously all those that will be coming about every half year.

2 hours ago, My1 said:

well generally speaking all the big build updates are essentially upgrade installation (in the same way of win7->10 upgrade) which are basically the novemberupdate aka 1511, the annoversary update 1607 or so, the creators Update aka 1703 and the Fall Creators Update (1709 iirc) and obviously all those that will be coming about every half year.

I know, I could've sworn I've read somewhere they were going to change that at one point to make upgrades smoother/faster. Oh well.

well it certainly wouldnt make the updates faster if they would make everything with a new image and so on. small patches that ideally dont even need a reboot are the best, especially for security, because users who dont want to reboot still can get the update,

although while the upgrade system may be annoying it does have its merits, especially considering that you dont need to DL a metric f-ton of patches just because you havent touched the PC in a few months but just get the image and run the upgrade, also you wont have all the patches lying around so you could potentially save space (well if MS would make a lot of their apps removable it would be even better.