Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

Hi Anixx:D

Yes of course it does but I never install anything on a stable running computer...I only install one desktop at a time....

I have a lot of computers to take care of and try to minimalise work and problems...

bookie32

On 10/14/2017 at 2:40 AM, IceFairyAmy said:

While I don't mind Metro, I really hate how Microsoft is so pushy with Windows 10's Apps and such, as if they are trying to emulate Apple with their mobile OS and turn their desktop OS into a walled garden...

Trying to understand?  Walled garden?  Emulate Apple?  Not doing a good job at emulation.  Windows 10 would be so lucky to be as stable and easy to use as OS X, or iPhones, ETC with iOS.  Sorry, my preferences are showing.  Winter is coming to Arizona deserts, 60 degrees this morning.  But 94 degrees now, it's OK again.  :cool:

9 hours ago, IceFairyAmy said:

Walled garden = heavily restricted if that's what you're asking. :P (And I like MacOS/iOS too if that's also what you're implying)

Thank you.  Perhaps I'm used to the Apple restrictions.  But when compared to Win 10 restrictions, it feels like Apple is an open garden.  I much prefer to be able to open and close the garden door myself.  I feel that we are of a common mind with computers.  Again, thanks.  :cool:

14 hours ago, BudwS said:

Thank you.  Perhaps I'm used to the Apple restrictions.  But when compared to Win 10 restrictions, it feels like Apple is an open garden.  I much prefer to be able to open and close the garden door myself.  I feel that we are of a common mind with computers.  Again, thanks.  :cool:

Apple's iPhone and Mac App Store restrictions are just as absurd as the Windows 10 Store's. :P Though Apple don't try to force the App Store as much as Windows 10 forces things on users or tries to.

Edited by IceFairyAmy

After restarting the download 7 times, I finally got Win10 build 1709 on my main desktop. And it also upgraded from Win10 Pro to Win10 Education. What the heck, M$!?

However, nice to see that all my devices are still working correctly and the updating process took less than 30 minutes on my "slow" system (FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-1866, Patriot 256GB SSD). The previous major upgrade took something like 1 hour and 45 minutes...

13 hours ago, zago27 said:

After restarting the download 7 times, I finally got Win10 build 1709 on my main desktop. And it also upgraded from Win10 Pro to Win10 Education. What the heck, M$!?

However, nice to see that all my devices are still working correctly and the updating process took less than 30 minutes on my "slow" system (FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-1866, Patriot 256GB SSD). The previous major upgrade took something like 1 hour and 45 minutes...

So the point of your post is to say what?

Perhaps something is telling you that you shouldn't be wasting your time on Windows 10...:rolleyes:

Sorry, just love to take a dig at the "worst crap ever2....

I was hoping with the title of the thread I would be proved wrong....but at the moment I can't see anything that convinces me that Windows 10 is anything to bet on ...

bookie32

I have one...

WMIC reporting that my Samsung 850 Pro is using IDE on my laptop

Availability:
Bytes Per Sector: 512
Capabilities: 3 4 10
Capability Descriptions: Random Access Supports Writing SMART Notification
Caption: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
Compression Method:
Configuration Manager Error Code: 0
Configuration Manager User Configuration: False
Creation Class Name: Win32_DiskDrive
Default Block Size:
Description: Disk drive
Device ID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
Error Cleared:
Error Description:
Error Methodology:
Index: 0
Installation Date:
Interface Type: IDE

The valid options for InterfaceType are:

SCSI

HDC

IDE

USB

It is not relaying that it is connected to an IDE port for you, instead this data is for the computer itself. It resides in the IDE class, because it operates under the same rules as other devices in that class. So basically you have found that while disks and interfaces have evolved over the years, they still do not actually operate differently than IDE. Since there has been no reason to make some large change to support these types of devices, no new type has been added to the class. WMI will not show you how the device is physically connected, because it does not know. The device and the driver indicate what class the device belongs to, which is IDE, and it shows you that.

Fertilizer report on the crap:  Sad or glad report?  The 64 bit Dell laptop updated to 17025 with no problem.  Only took about four and a half hours to complete.  Four out of four browsers have Ghostery extension installed.  Edge came through the update with Ghostery still installed and working.  Also, it's a cold day down here in the desert early in the morning---What was that about "A cold Day In Hell?"  Computer life does seem to be amazing.  Even the Apple iMac doesn't seem to mind providing this entry.  :cool:

I tried the new FCU on my desktop recently and had a wonderful experience. /s NVIDIA driver installer was confused and rolled back everything shortly after the driver was installed. I could install it manually with device manager and it sort-of worked. I haven't noticed any performance improvements in 3D stuff compared to older systems. Losing a frame or two is more common with new Windows versions from my limited experience.

Then I went and tried installing latest drivers for my sound card, the latest ones from VIA's website, which are dated 2012 and officially only meant for Windows 8.1 (there's nothing for 10). Compared to the newer driver that Windows Update gives, I get all options in the Speaker Setup dialog, including 7.1 Surround. Where did that driver come from anyway and why would 7.1 option be missing on the sound card where official specs say 8 channel audio is supported? Sure, the driver itself might be the vendor related thing, but it's MS taking away precise control of the update process.

So I go in Event Viewer and voila, I notice event id 129, Reset to device, DeviceRaidPort0, was issued. I haven't got NVIDIA's driver for my SATA controller loaded yet. Last time, little more than half-year ago, similar errors would be reported by NVIDIA's driver, before the OS eventually corrupted itself when I was troubleshooting failed update. None of my files on that disk were affected. Good riddance though. :D

Another thing I saw there were crashes of AudioDG.exe process. Due to older driver, the one that lets me fully utilize my sound card? Sound was actually working.

And now some general FCU specific crap affecting gamers, they messed something up in IDXGISwapchain::Present (VOGONS, MSDN Forums). Questions regarding fullscreen issues in general have been popping up at least since Creators Update.

Another thing that applies to all Win10 versions, they broke DIrect3D 8 apps by forcing them in so called maximized windowed mode, so they can't run in real fullscreen mode. Issues that have been observed include games crashing when trying to use anti-aliasing, gamma settings being ineffective and of-course things running less smooth that way. The only thing stated by MS regarding that mode is that it helps if the app mixes Direct3D and GDI, not something that's generally done. I haven't found this specific change for all D3D8 things documented anywhere. There is NO option in the OS to turn it off, the only way is patching d3d8.dll one way or another. But since taking away options from the user is the norm anyway in Windows 10 land, this shouldn't be too surprising I guess.

On 10/2/2017 at 2:31 PM, BeardedBlunder said:

If I even *COULD* get a browser that worked reasonably on NT4 I WOULD switch back to it as my main OS.. USB mass storage can be done, and I wouldn't really miss the other things that plug in that way.

Now this won't let me edit ^^ THAT... all I wanted to do was add that *actually the ultimate pinnacle of the Windows OS was Win2K

Then what are you waiting for!? Get QTWeb!

On 03.10.2017 at 12:31 AM, BeardedBlunder said:

If I even *COULD* get a browser that worked reasonably on NT4 I WOULD switch back to it as my main OS.. USB mass storage can be done, and I wouldn't really miss the other things that plug in that way.

Now this won't let me edit ^^ THAT... all I wanted to do was add that *actually the ultimate pinnacle of the Windows OS was Win2K

There are people who still run Win2k. I do not know why one would want to run WinNT if running Win2k is possible.