Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

Frustrated yesterday by Windows 10 insubordination, if I type CHKDSK /R in an elevated COMMAND window, I expect my COMMAND to be carried out!

I do not wish to waste an entire boot cycle for Windows to give me the OPINION *it* doesn't think the drive needs checking, if I *wanted* its stupid opinion on that matter I could do FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: myself, without wasting time rebooting!

So after that waste of time I set the dirty bit manually.. 

On 4.9.2017 at 2:22 PM, NoelC said:

Hard to imagine "much better" when Aero Glass on Win 8.1 works fine and lasts a long time, but I too would be interested in hearing about others who've solved the problem of bringing back style to Win 8.1 desktops...

-Noel

well at least I use an aero style from deviantart

Aero Glass 8 for Win 8/8.1 Final

plus UxStyle

http://uxstyle.com/builds/UxStyle_sep23_x86_x64_possibly_bugged.zip

and to top it off, of course Aero Glass by bigmuscle here.

http://glass8.eu/

that's basically my style set, and then

I use things like classic shell to get the start menu back,

http://www.classicshell.net/

modern mix for the few occasions I want to try apps

https://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/

and some other stuff I have to look up.

8 hours ago, BeardedBlunder said:

Frustrated yesterday by Windows 10 insubordination, if I type CHKDSK /R in an elevated COMMAND window, I expect my COMMAND to be carried out!

Not really. :no::w00t:

You can use insubordination when there is a reasonable expectation that whoever/whatever you give an order is subject to your authority.

The convention that you are the owner and master of the OS and that the latter should just do (only and exactly) what you order is so Windows 2000. :whistle:

This is not the case with Windows 10, it is not really insubordinate, rather non compliant and stubborn, probably the best adjective is cantankerous. ;)

jaclaz

9 hours ago, BeardedBlunder said:

I do not wish to waste an entire boot cycle for Windows to give me the OPINION *it* doesn't think the drive needs checking, if I *wanted* its stupid opinion on that matter I could do FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: myself, without wasting time rebooting!

So after that waste of time I set the dirty bit manually.. 

that's why i use administrator account

and adminuser method to run risky application like firefox at normal user without admin rights

watch?v=NkzcPXSvEK4 if u wanna see more

Not my own PC, troubleshooting someone else's, so already frustrated by UAC.... just the same, if I'm in an admin command window, I expect what I command done, be it CHKDSK or DEL *.* /S /F I want ACTION, if that action stalls from breaking stuff that's MY fault.

Never mind Windows 2000 @jaclaz I expect DOS-like obedience.  If I'm admin, it's MY computer, to break, or to waste time on!

1 minute ago, BeardedBlunder said:

Not my own PC, troubleshooting someone else's, so already frustrated by UAC.... just the same, if I'm in an admin command window, I expect what I command done, be it CHKDSK or DEL *.* /S /F I want ACTION, if that action stalls from breaking stuff that's MY fault.

Never mind Windows 2000 @jaclaz I expect DOS-like obedience.  If I'm admin, it's MY computer, to break, or to waste time on!

well the UAC can be annoying, but it can also be helpful. but when you dont get ALL your rights after confirming the UAC prompt, then it's junk.

in linux it's more or less the same with sudo. unless you say "do it as admin" the application won't get admin (except you are logged in as root, which is basically the same as the system administrator account in windows)

in XP when just using the PC in a single user way you wouldnt even notice an application wants admin, which can raise some red flags if you even remotely know what you are doing.

Speaking of Linux, I must install the subsystem now it's available.. I'm afraid M$ failed hiding my command prompt and trying to make me use pixie-shell.. If I'm going to learn something different it's going to be BASH, the way Windows is going knowing the (most common)  Linux shell is going to be WAY more useful to me before long.  At least Linux FSCKs (when so ordered!).

22 minutes ago, dencorso said:

To be fair, not really "news", if you check OSR NTDEV's you will find several references, starting from 2008 or earlier:

http://www.osronline.com/showthread.cfm?link=136557

And, according to here:

https://threatpost.com/microsoft-programming-error-is-behind-dangerous-kernel-bug-researchers-claim/127858/

EnSilo doesn’t consider the PsSetLoadImageNotifyRoutine API bug a vulnerability, per se.

“An attacker first has to gain a foothold on a machine so that it can force the operating system to manifest the bug,” Misgav said. In one scenario, the programming error could be leveraged in conjunction with an injection type of attack similar to Process Hollowing and AtomBombing.

Once a system is under attack, this API can be abused in a way to further facilitate a system compromise. “You can use this technique to trick the security vendor to mis-scan a file and download other malicious files,” Misgav said.

I think I will sleep fine tonight, notwithstanding this vulnerability. ;)

jaclaz

And now, on other news, Windows 10 v.1511 cannot even keep time properly in some cases! :w00t::ph34r:

From the mouth of the wolf:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3160312/a-computer-that-is-running-windows-10-version-1511-reverts-to-a-previo

When this issue occurs, the computer system's date and time settings are reset to their previous values, even if this change overrides any changes that were made by an administrator. The Windows Time service that's running on the computer causes this behavior by using stale Secure Time Seeding information from the registry. In this scenario, the Windows Time service effectively stops using time that is obtained from any Network Time Protocol (NTP) server or the Active Directory hierarchy. 

:lol:

jaclaz

Alert!  There's a new W10 preview insider crap agreement.  To paraphrase, some of the crap may have worms in it.  (So, what else is new?)  Some crap may make you sick, unless you are a crow.  If you do get sick, the maximum benefit from arbitration is $5.00.  Acceptance of the new agreement is 'do the update' which by the way starts when power is on the computer.  (An amazing business model!)

Reality check:  Three test computers made the update to 16288.  1.  MacBook was first with no problems and minimal time expended.  2.  64 bit Dell was second with no problems but took several hours to complete.  3.  32 bit Dell was last but required great perseverance.  First try failed and didn't restore to 16251.  Required an iso clean install to wipe the hard drive and get a clean 16251. (About 12 hours to complete that part.)  The Dell then updated to 16278 with no problems.  However, the final update failed on the first try but made it on the second try to get to 16288. (About 24 hours to complete that part, just really slow.)  Anyway, once the computers got to 16288, they seemed to run OK.  (End of current crap experience.) :cool: Still hot but dry here.  (Note:  All test computers are in secure mode now, powered off.)

Edited by BudwS
Spelling.

4 hours ago, BudwS said:

Alert!  There's a new W10 preview insider crap agreement.  To paraphrase, some of the crap may have worms in it.  (So, what else is new?)  Some crap may make you sick, unless you are a crow.  If you do get sick, the maximum benefit from arbitration is $5.00.  Acceptance of the new agreement is 'do the update' which by the way starts when power is on the computer.  (An amazing business model!)

Reality check:  Three test computers made the update to 16288.  1.  MacBook was first with no problems and minimal time expended.  2.  64 bit Dell was second with no problems but took several hours to complete.  3.  32 bit Dell was last but required great perseverance.  First try failed and didn't restore to 16251.  Required an iso clean install to wipe the hard drive and get a clean 16251. (About 12 hours to complete that part.)  The Dell then updated to 16278 with no problems.  However, the final update failed on the first try but made it on the second try to get to 16288. (About 24 hours to complete that part, just really slow.)  Anyway, once the computers got to 16288, they seemed to run OK.  (End of current crap experience.) :cool: Still hot but dry here.  (Note:  All test computers are in secure mode now, powered off.)

Well, to be fair Microsoft after previous experience of badly written agreements have improved ....but then it still amases me how many that upgrade or even install a clean version of Windows 10 do so not thinking or caring about any agreements that they are saying yes to....when we know that there is so much we should be paying attention to?

At the end of the day when such an agreement pops up when doing a fresh install of whatever....does anyone stop to actually read any agreements....it is only on rare occasions that anyone would want to even bother reading a 30-40 page long agreement of how Microsoft waffles on (just like I am now) denying any responsibility for anything that is written....that we might possibly construde as being a little bit morally wrong...

Thanks to those who actually read these agreements and bring to our attention what we are actually saying yes to...

Microsoft has not shown any signs of changing or becoming more accountable for this crap in the disguise of an operating system.....

I have more and more customers asking me...what do we do if we don't want to succumb to this crap called Windows 10....

I have no answers that many want to hear....75 year olds and even in some cases older..."Well you should either buy a Mac or learn Linux....

Bit of a dilemma....;)

bookie32

15 hours ago, bookie32 said:

I have more and more customers asking me...what do we do if we don't want to succumb to this crap called Windows 10....

I have no answers that many want to hear....75 year olds and even in some cases older..."Well you should either buy a Mac or learn Linux....

Bit of a dilemma....;)

bookie32

Yes, you've identified an interesting dilemma. Living in a community that is an age restricted 55 and older area adjacent to Phoenix, AZ.  Sun City is an area around 3 miles by 7 miles in size and is not incorporated as a city by preference.  Many of the residents are very sharp mentally and use computers easily.  However, Windows 10 installed on a PC has many turning to the local Apple Store to buy compatible products.  I have been able to get some of the Windows 10 users oriented to be able to use their Win 10 PC.  Also, suggested that their Win 10 PC can be turned into a Friendly Windows 7 Pro computer.  My Dell Latitude E5410 is only allowed to run Win 7 Pro and it is "Senior" friendly, thank you.  The 64 bit Win 10 test computer is a dual boot with Win 7 Pro.  Otherwise, Linux Mint has been very friendly as well although a bit more challenging than Apple OS X.  Yes, in full agreement, "Bit of a dilemma....;)".  :cool:  Saved up for 2 years to get the iPhone 7 Plus which is fully compatible with the big iMac.  Life is good and it was cool enough to sit outside to read this morning.