Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

As said earlier, most of the point about boot optimization, at least the part connected with the sequence of loading files, is derived more or less linearly from the difference between "random seek/read" and "sequential seek/read" of the underlying storage media.

So in the mentioned good ol' times (PE on CD) the difference was dramatic (even for greatly reducing the queer noises that came from the CD seeking up and down), the same technique applied to (USB 2.0) sticks roughly reduced boot time to 1/2 or 1/3 s (very, very noticeable), on internal hard disks (connected via SATA or however fast buses and with modern largish read ahead cache on the hd itself) it became not so noticeable, I don't expect that much difference on a SSD, but of course it is a nice experiment to perform.

jaclaz

Most SSD systems can sustain upwards of 100 MB/second disk I/O throughput with 4 kbyte I/O operations nowadays - some many times that.  By comparison the number for an electromechanical HDD is something like 2 MB / second. 

Thus any remaining SSD I/O bottleneck for data reads during system bootup should be virtually trivial.

-Noel

With the current upgrade process, I've noticed that credentials for wireless networks secured with WPA2 Enterprise do not survive. And they still haven't put back the goddamn UI to access properties of the wireless network, the only setting exposed in the UI is whether connection is metered and whether it should connect automatically, the rest can only be accessed after the connection has been successfully established.

netsh isn't too helpful neither. Without 3rd party tools, all you can do is delete the connection and set it up from scratch. What makes a dev go and decide to delete this:

windows-7-manage-wireless-networks.png

Theoretically, it's possible, though I'm thinking someone would have found it by now. Don't forget they are actually purging what they consider "legacy". If it still exists, there might be reference in registry to it under some random GUID in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Edit: On Windows 7, you can run: explorer.exe shell:::{1FA9085F-25A2-489B-85D4-86326EEDCD87}
Nothing happens on Windows 8+.

Edited by UCyborg

Mixed Crap:  2 out of 3 computers updated W10 Insider Preview to 16232.  One was an SSD and one was an HDD.  One came from 16226 and one came from 15025.  Both took several hours to complete the update.

The third computer tried 5 times times to update to 16232, 4 times from 16226 and 1 time from 16216 but never completed the update. The end result of the update was that the computer was back at the release that it started from after several hours on each try.  This may be the smart computer that refuses to upgrade to another questionable Win 10 release?  This is a dual boot, Win 7/Win 10.  The computer is now running WIndows 7 Pro as the main choice. 

:cool: Yup, more Arizona heat.

Some good crap:  The Dual Boot PC, Win 7/Win10 Dell, is now updated to Win10, 16237.  Did an iso clean boot to an old release, 15063, and wiped the Win10 HDD as part of the process. (Each OS has its own HDD)  Had used BCDEDIT to verify the dual boot controls which got changed to reflect the new Win10 information. Today's load of crap is fertilizer.  :cool:  Monsoon Arizona:  Water falling from the sky, now that's a change!

Still don't understand why the update runs the CPU at close to 100% at some periods and the HDD at close to 100% at other periods?  Or why it takes several hours to complete?  It's probably just a computer thing.

i've been use two windows, one is XP and other one is latest windows. With win10 thought I've disarm maybe all of its online facilities via gpedit, but why these two "spyware" keep launched and functioning despite firewalled
BackgroundTransferHost.exe and the manager backgroundTaskHost.exe
the modern version of B.I.T.S

I end up schedule a killer for this processes

see also:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-stop-backgroundtransferhostexe/58abde6d-657a-42ad-953f-4de327a25c42

Newer Windows always try take more control for MS walled garden, and this is enterprise edition.

Oh what Win10 truly scare me is the ability to awake from sleep without permission or reason aka Wake Source: Unknown
WTF?! I swear this never happened in XP or before Win10

Maybe my complaints is corner cases or too specific, but when (power) user cant take control of their own PC it is not Personal computer anymore

A good day for crap:  2 out of 2 computers updated to 16241 on their first try.  OK, several hours to complete this task is a little long.  OK, one computer looked like it was searching for an available source to download the update before the download actually started.  OK, why does the CPU run close to 100% before the update seems to really start.  OK, I'm impressed that the update software can drive the storage device at close to 100% thru-put for long periods of time.  Seems like a lot of activity just to accomplish the update?  OK, the restart takes a long time, too.  Other than a few "OKs", Win10, 16241 is running "OK."  :cool: Arizona, a lot of rain actually made it to the ground.  OK!

do these ... well i'll call them service packs hahaha
even bring something to winblows 10 ?

I guess you mean the "releases", such as 1607 and 1703 ("Creator's").

Ostensibly they bring enhancements to the App realm.  I don't know much about that because for every new release I've given up on the Apps.  This, after giving the packaged Apps a try and finding over and over that I could get all the information just as well on my desktop from a web page or older application (weather.com in a browser, calc.exe, maps.google.com in a browser, IE or a Firefox derivative vs. Edge, etc.)  And whenever I've looked in the Microsoft Store I've not seen any "must have" stuff.

I can tell you this:  There are virtually NO changes to the non-App parts.

I guess that could be considered both good and bad...  It's not really less COMPATIBLE with "legacy" applications, which is good, and I don't have to write really ANY different code to run software on Win 10 than on older systems back to 7, but...

Explorer bugs that have been in the system virtually forever are still there.  We know the UI isn't really themed any more (a lack of a consistent theme is not a theme itself).  The Start Menu gets some changes, but it is essentially inconsequential since Classic Shell implemented a better one a decade ago, and yes, I DO test it.  I just find no merit to it at all.  It's like the kids at Microsoft are trying to discover new ways to run a desktop without actually designing anything.  Windows 8.1 introduced ReFS, and yes, Windows 10 continues that support - but it HASN'T BEEN ADVANCED at all.  I can't yet make a system volume with ReFS.  As far as I know, I can't even FORMAT a data volume with ReFS in Windows 10 yet (i.e., it's the same as Windows 8.1, without any advancement).

Fully tweaked - which takes quite a bit of effort - Windows 10 (without Apps) CAN be made private and about as efficient as Windows 8.1, which in a number of ways wasn't as efficient as 7.

When I test doing the things I normally do with the desktop (basically creating software and running a business) I find Windows 10 on that fully tweaked setup to be slightly SLOWER than Windows 8.1, which in turn was slightly SLOWER than Windows 7.  Mostly I think it's because they've tacked on more junk to support the multiple personalities of "mobile" and "desktop".  I've not been able to completely carve out "mobile", so more things just sit there and soak up resources, like ShellExperienceHost and ApplicationFrameHost and SearchUI and two fontdrvhosts.

I've noticed that networking a Windows 10 v1703 system in with a mixed set of Win 10 and 8.1 systems on a LAN isn't as reliable.  I presume it must be because they have made Windows 10 "more secure".  In my mind, "less likely to be able to access files on a server" isn't really so much "more secure" as "less functional".

Speaking of security...  Windows 10 is touted as "the most secure Windows yet".  Funny thing, between the OS itself and Edge, there are certainly a lot more security problems being uncovered with Windows 10 each month (based on vulnerability lists and the number of security patches released by Microsoft) than with the older systems.

So...

They say it's faster - it's not.

They say it's more secure - yet here I am with Windows 7 and 8.1 systems that have never been compromised, and I have to do back flips to make Win 10 private.

They say it's better - yet it fails more often.

They say it's modern - yet it's ugly as ****.

--

Conclusion:  I'm not seeing them bring much of anything I want.  Your mileage may vary.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

2 minutes ago, NoelC said:

When I test doing the things I normally do with the desktop (basically creating software and running a business) I find Windows 10 on that fully tweaked setup to be slightly SLOWER than Windows 8.1, which in turn was slightly SLOWER than Windows 10

dont you mean "which in turn was slighly slower than w7"?

2 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Conclusion:  I'm not seeing them bring much of anything I want.

'-> This