Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

6 hours ago, ekeda said:

After 15 years power using windows XP I moved to 10 yesterday. Finally a worthy OS to replace XP with.

That's a helluva jump, and a very interesting perspective.  Did you have much experience with the intervening versions?

-Noel

5 hours ago, bookie32 said:

Would you care to elaborate...?

Windows 10 is a long way from being a worthy OS nevermind one that is to replace XP....

Depends what you want from an OS. Design wise 10 is a beast from my pov. Customization wise it is pretty close to XP.

In your OP you are right about that 10 has display issues with high dpi scaling and it does not look optimal on some devices, but that is part of the trade-off. XP does not have tls 1.1, 1.2 and dx10+. Vista, 7 and 8 are design failures. So, it is always a matter of perspective.

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

That's a helluva jump, and a very interesting perspective.  Did you have much experience with the intervening versions?

-Noel

Well, yeah, enough to not leave XP.

10 hours ago, bookie32 said:

Would you care to elaborate...?

Windows 10 is a long way from being a worthy OS nevermind one that is to replace XP....

bookie32

Ditto!

14 hours ago, ekeda said:

Well, yeah, enough to not leave XP.

Well, there would be a lot here that would disagree with you on it being worth moving from XP to Win 10 ...but everyone is entitled to their opinion....

But to remind you that in my opinion this is still the biggest load of crap since I can't remember when....

bookie32

I think a lot of varying opinion could be traced back to two facts:

1. No two folks do quite the same things with Windows.

2. Everyone customizes it differently to suit their needs and tastes.  Some don't customize it at all and some turn it into something that only vaguely resembles what Microsoft delivered.

Most of us have been through using some newer operating system releases since XP, and in each case we likely found the transition disruptive.  But then we got used to the new system and learned to run it adeptly. 

Personally, I tweak my OS quite a lot, and I have found Windows 8.1 - heavily tweaked and augmented with 3rd party software - to be the best so far at what *I* need Windows to do. 

I've done the same amount of tweaking (and RE-tweaking) of Windows 10 on a test system, and I have it set up very nearly as well (most of the same techniques and software effective on earlier versions work on Win 10)...  The biggest problem I see is that Microsoft no longer WANTS us doing this sort of thing, so it's a PITA to re-tweak over and over again, every time they release (or even update) it.  Trying to use a customized Win 10 is akin to paddling against a rising current.  I have better things I'd rather worry about.

Yes, I know about the CB vs. CBB vs. LTSB and that I could probably use one Windows 10 release for longer than 8 months if I were to want to, but it's just not the same as having Microsoft fully support it for a period of years.  Years are what it takes to stabilize something as complex as Windows fully, so that it can run for months under hard usage.

But it's all good - I have Windows 8.1 that way;  Well-tuned, running smoothly for as long as I care to run it, and it still does everything that the parts of Windows 10 I would care to run can do.

For what it's worth, I have the new release of Windows 10 all tuned up with the exception of Aero Glass for Win 8+, which isn't yet released in a version compatible with Win 10 version 1703 build 15063.  Overall it's a little slower, a little more bloated, and from what I can see without ANYTHING new that improves on what I use Windows for one bit.  In a way I'm happy Microsoft has failed to implement any new "must-haves"...  It leaves my current system stable for me to just work with.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

well one of the few things is that apps from the win store if you want to use some of them arent forced to full screen anymore. on win8 modernmix can solve this but not perfectly.

Back to the crap:  The Dell laptop was updated to 16170 but the old application software issue of Win 10 showed up again, NO WIFI.  The fix used in 15063 did not work for 16170.  Used up my patience with MS for this Dell, Intel application software wipe out.  Restored the Dell laptop to 15063.14 and magically the WIFI worked just fine.  Removed the Dell laptop from the insider Fast Track.  The MacBook will remain the insider Fast Track computer.  For now, the MacBook is still the tamer of the Beast.

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

So apparently one change I found from 1511 (and earlier) to 1607 is that if you specify the wallpaper with an answer file, if you use a BMP it ignores it but a JPG works. What a weird thing to change.

Probably not deliberate. Most likely a bug feature. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Gotcha crap:  Windows 10 Update wiped out the Dell laptop insider W10 software.  OK, so just did a clean install to get back in the game.  However, the digital activation was lost in the process. So had to have a WIFI connection to activate the Windows 10.  That was the other problem with the W10 update. The WIFI that was used for the update disappeared once the update was complete.  I think it's called "Catch 22."  Or I could spend $199 to buy a new Key for W10.  This gets better and better!  And the MacBook did the same W10 update without any problems.

I have a windows phone, a 535, bout just for test in 2015. The last update I received,  in windows insider, was late dec  2015. Nothing since dec 2015 until the other day, a Update! But it is not a complete update, it seems. I got a new startpicture, I can get to the dropdown list at top (and some of there controls works, keened of, BUT no apps, no settings, no nothing and at the beginning it restarted over and over again. That has stopped after day or two . Basicly it is bricked! Grate Work MS

On 4/8/2017 at 1:54 PM, ekeda said:

Vista, 7 and 8 are design failures.

Although I've heard much about what Vista and 8 got wrong, the consensus I've always heard is that 7 is/was "the new XP" in terms of everything. I'm curious; in your opinion, what did 10 get right that 7 didn't?