Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

6 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

Updated from 15063.0 to 15063.11 and that killed my sata disk... No indicate of any problems wse until the reboot after the download. Coinseedence??

Condolences for your loss.

Here we go again, the MacBook with the SSD did the Cumulative Update, 15063.0 to 15063.11, in less than 5 minutes from Restart to login and ready to use.  The download had been done in the background so I don't know how long that took.  Microsoft, getting ready for Ready To Market the 2017 Windows 10 Pro is starting to turn the crap into fertilizer.

Just saw "Beauty and the Beast" so my head is still in the "Magic Kingdom."

In another forum (MS Insider), a Russian (In the Russian language) entry indicated that a PC at 14393.969 (released Win 10) got the CU and brought the Win 10 up to 15063.11.  That is some interesting crap.  I wonder if this is an alternate fact?  There seems to be a lot of that in the US these days.

Edited by BudwS
Added detail.

On 4/1/2017 at 7:18 AM, mikedigitize said:

Updated from 15063.0 to 15063.11 and that killed my sata disk... No indicate of any problems wse until the reboot after the download. Coinseedence??

After thought:  Over a year ago when I started Windows 10 Insider Preview, was using a Dell quad i7 Tower, Raid software for two 500 GB SATA drives.  Had W7, Insider W10, Oracle ViMware with 3 operating systems available.  All the operating systems should have been in independent space, partitions.  Along came a Windows 10, Windows Update.  That update destroyed all of the operating systems that were installed.  Could not get any operating system to boot including the W10 that did the damage.  That was my first experience with the power of W10 Windows Update.  (Bull in the China Shop)

My solution was to do a Windows 7 Pro clean installation that deleted all the partitions and no Windows 10 Insider Preview software anywhere close.  That PC has run error free ever since.  That incident also gave me the idea of running the W10 preview in Boot Camp on the MacBook.  The Apple Host software controls the Beast!

There probably are no coincidences, just poor coding with respect to software.  The Bull seems to step on application software whether it's MS or third party.  Lately, a lot of testers seem to think the driver for a device that doesn't work is the problem when the supporting application software is where the real problem is located.  Changing the driver doesn't restore the device.  However, reinstalling the device application software more often fixes the "stepped on" software and the device works again.

And my Dell laptop made the W10 15063.0 to 15063.11 transition cleanly (SATA drive).  Wonders amaze me every day (Amazing crap).  An old farm boy's perspective on life.

20 hours ago, BudwS said:

In another forum (MS Insider), a Russian (In the Russian language) entry indicated that a PC at 14393.969 (released Win 10) got the CU and brought the Win 10 up to 15063.11.  That is some interesting crap.  I wonder if this is an alternate fact?  There seems to be a lot of that in the US these days.

And much of it is allegedly sponsored, quite curiously, by the Russians. Coincidence??

Anyway, I've been trying for a WEEK to download Windows 10 to put in a VM (as it seems like I'll have to succumb to it eventually, I figured I'd be a bit preemptive and install it in its own little sandbox so I can play with it; this IN NO WAY means that I'll be using it as my main OS! I'm sticking with 2k, XP, Vista, 7, and to a small extent, 8.1 for as long as I can), but using this software called SecureDownloadManager is a waste of time! It works OK for other things, but with the Windows 10 download, it will go up as high as 55% complete, then it'll mysteriously pause itself, and when I go to resume, it says an error has occurred. When I restart the download, it loses about half of it's progress! I'm never going to get to 100% at this rate!!

I do have a valid license key (which I acquired for free through my school), so I'm thinking I'd be better ff downloading the ISO from bit torrent. At least that doesn't crash and do the 1 step forward, 10,000 steps backward trick.

c

Good idea installing it in a VM.  I have been "getting to know" Windows that way since virtualization was possible.  I know Windows 10 so well now that I know, for example, that I still don't want anything to do with their toy apps or cloud integration.  I'll do my own integrating with the cloud through my web browser, thanks.

I'm not a big fan of file sharing / torrents myself.  There are places online from which you can get a clean Windows 10 version 1703 file via just a simple https: download (and yes, some are Russian).

Or you could wait a week or two for Microsoft to publish an ISO file and just download it from Microsoft directly.  That might be the best idea, especially if you're not in critical need of version 1703 (and who is at this point?).

I'm the first to admit (and thank the powers that be) that I am blessed with fast and reliable optical internet access.  I'm not sure how downloading 4 gigabytes would go on a lesser connection nowadays; I can see how you could have problems if the time stretches out to tens or hundreds of minutes.  I hope you can ultimately get through it.

P.S., I've installed each Windows 10 release both as a full, fresh install and also as an in-place upgrade to its predecessor.  So far, knocking on wood, the in-place upgrades have been workable, or the job of re-setting up Windows would be even harder.  Note that I always seek a stripped down, privatized, App-free, cloud-free result, and so far it's been possible to achieve that.  I'm there again with version 1703, with just a few baubles along the way.  I fear that won't continue to be possible forever, though.

Tweaked.png

-Noel

I tried to do a fresh install of 15063 on an older stationery and experienced cortana guides"all" the way. Sadly my old rig did have a Marvell ethernet card so no internet. I do have win7 in the machine as well, but there are no problems, internet is flouting in big way... no difference with .11

.14 did not change anything reg marvell ethernet problem, BUT I note this Mac address was not find so I just filled in the address found in win 7 info and voala; back in businesses.  I think win troubleshooter would had spotted that one...

Edited by mikedigitize
update on mather

1 hour ago, perfecthog05 said:

I agree, bookie32. No one should use Windows 10, use Windows 7 x64 and if you like modern "metro" things then use Windows 8.1.

I would also go as far to say use 8.1 even if you don't like the modern "metro" aspect of it. ;)

3 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I would also go as far to say use 8.1 even if you don't like the modern "metro" aspect of it. ;)

I go full ack on this.

Crap, good or not good, your choice.  Both the MacBook and the Dell laptop installed the Cumulative Updates of 15063.13 and 15063.14 with no problems.  Time will tell if the April RTM Windows 10 will be stable and usable by the current installed user base.  Many current users have already been updated to 15063.13 whether they want it or not.  That is the real crap.

Windows 7 Pro and Apple OS X are looking better all the time.

5 hours ago, BudwS said:

Windows 7 Pro and Apple OS X are looking better all the time.

They are indeed. A carefully tweaked Windows 8.1 doesn't look too bad, though, and is mostly 7-like. I used to hate it, but after excising all the Metro junk, I have warmed up to it considerably.

I still prefer either XP or 7 as my main OS, though, as I just like them better overall.

c

43 minutes ago, cc333 said:

They are indeed. A carefully tweaked Windows 8.1 doesn't look too bad, though, and is mostly 7-like. I used to hate it, but after excising all the Metro junk, I have warmed up to it considerably.

I still prefer either XP or 7 as my main OS, though, as I just like them better overall.

c

well full ack to the first few sentences. the last part, personally I've gotten to like my modded win8 more (win+x makes it easy to access settings or an admincmd and with win+screenshot button you dont need to do the whole "paste in paint" dance anymore and probably some more stuff but forgot)

4 hours ago, ekeda said:

After 15 years power using windows XP I moved to 10 yesterday. Finally a worthy OS to replace XP with.

Would you care to elaborate...?

Windows 10 is a long way from being a worthy OS nevermind one that is to replace XP....

bookie32