Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

7 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Has anyone tried Windows 10 IoT Core?

That's dreadful! I shudder at the thought of a Windows 10-powered microwave or refrigerator.

That being said, maybe it doesn't have the telemetry nonsense. That, if nothing else, would be an improvement.

c

An "excess tech" anecdote that loosely applies, as it is about the perils of having a not-quite-perfect fully electronic control system (but not about Windows as a control system specifically - yet):

Back 10 or 15 years ago we had a travel trailer we used to pull with a van.  We used it for vacation getaways.

Since space is always at a premium and things left on the counter tend to get thrown around while on the road, we would keep things like cups, coffee filters and other dry supplies in the microwave oven when actually traveling.  After all, the door had a good latch.  This microwave was just an inexpensive small consumer unit that had been built into the kitchen cabinetry.

Importantly, it had NO physical ON/OFF switch, just an electronic touch panel.

One time when we returned from a camping trip I put the trailer into the driveway so we could clean it out, then I connected a power cord (basically, plugging a big plug into a big extension cord).

When I opened the trailer door, fortunately just a few moments after having plugged-in the power, I found the trailer filled with smoke and the Microwave on and running!  Some paper that was inside had been brought to the point of combustion.  I pulled the power, and fortunately found that the fire had extinguished itself and had been completely contained inside the Microwave.

The key here is that with a fully electronic control system, an appliance had behaved in a way that you would not anticipate: 

When line power was applied, it came ON unexpectedly and nearly caused a disaster.

The take-away for me was that if I'm going to have an appliance that deals with real power - e.g., the ability to heat things to combustion levels - I need to PHYSICALLY manage the power, not just trust some commercial electronic control system.  It turned out we were able to replace that microwave oven with one that had a physical switch.  If we had not been able to do so, I would have implemented a convenient switch in the power circuit.

It's actually quite difficult to find a microwave oven with a physical switch any more.

Now we are talking about putting cloud-integrated Windows 10 in charge of such things.  Have people thoroughly considered:

• Failures leading to destruction of property or injury?
  • What happens when Windows takes an update and reboots while the oven is on?
  • Hacking?  We have already heard of web-integrated cars being hacked and stalled (or worse) while being driven.

Somewhere along the way, the headlong rush into high tech changed from "do what people need" to exclusively "do what makes money for the manufacturer".  And at the same time we have pushed past the question "can we control appliances with software" without fully evaluating whether we should control appliances with software that isn't even fit to run a desktop computer for playing games!  (I feel a bit like Dr. Malcolm in "Jurassic Park" here)

When will we hear of the first case of people being burned alive in their home because an operating system constructed in haste (and tested solely by other customers) mismanaged its appliance?

-Noel

16 hours ago, cc333 said:

That's dreadful! I shudder at the thought of a Windows 10-powered microwave or refrigerator.

That being said, maybe it doesn't have the telemetry nonsense. That, if nothing else, would be an improvement.

c

may be they will spy what we are cooking.

I haven't seen anything about discount on computers running win10, but here in sweden we get up to 2000sek (237$) if we bay a new computer.... No end of msft try to reach 1 billion users!

Rea.png

Edited by mikedigitize
imgur truble/problems

9 minutes ago, mikedigitize said:

I haven't seen anything about discount on computers running win10, but here in sweden we get up to 2000sek (237$) if we bay a new computer.... No end of msft try to reach 1 billion users!

Rea.png

U got Type Cover for free AND up to 2000 sek back (later on, after purchase)