Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

Hi Guys!

When I mean official I mean I am making it official that I think it is the worst ever...

While I can understand that Microsoft want a OS that works on all platforms - they fail to recognise the genuine complaints of long term users!

Computers are getting more powerful every day, screens are getting larger and more advanced. and yet we are given a OS that is basically designed for a telephone screen.

What happened to nice gradient colours etc? It is so **** boring?

Your general users do not care what improvements are made to the engine...they want it to look and feel good as well!

A telephone is a telephone in my opinion and I want an OS that looks good on the ever increasing sizes of desktop screens!

The start menu is a mess!

Once again nothing is logical about the setup of things....

If this is the best they can come up with I will keep one computer as Windows for my customers and then the others as Linux.

Edited by Tripredacus
fixed title

I get what they are going for with the "Metro", but that is no good for everyday productivity. It should not be required for every day use. I hate having to search through Metro's control Panel to find some obscure setting or clicking the network icon in the system tray and getting 1/3 of my screen covered with a hunk of junk instead of the little quick and easy to use menu.

Kinda went off on a rant up there and forgot were I was going with the topic so ill sum my feelings down below.

My desktop should be my desktop not a phone, however, if it has the ability to run phone apps (metro) I am not apposed to that so long as it dose not hinder my ability to use my desktop (in the traditional sense. how it was before metro)

Hi guys!

well, I was ranting as well...but I am even more ****** at their infringement of our personal rights with their prying into our every move...

Microsoft have been brought up on charges before but this takes the cake!

I will not recommend to any of my customers this so called free upgrade....

I just find it sad that with a forum like this, with the knowledge that a lot have here that microsoft just don't listen!!!

Now they are so big that they think they are immune to being brought to account for their actions!!

As of a few days ago in my Win 10 test system I *finally* achieved a configuration that has these attributes:

• Is blocked from sharing whatever the heck it feels like with servers online.
  • Uses only a local account.
  • Has no ability to run Apps (UAC is off, most Apps are uninstalled, etc.).
  • Cortana and Windows Search are history.
  • Has a nice desktop courtesy Aero Glass for Win 8+, Classic Shell, and a number of other tweaks/augments.
  • Can still succeed a Windows Update.
  • Passes an SFC check.

That config only took what, all the pre-release period plus a month+ after release to develop.

Now Microsoft promises to deliver a whole new build in another 3 months (4 month overall cycle between in-place upgrades that reset everything and break most 3rd party stuff that relies on undocumented interfaces).

Even though I have it working enviably, I can't in good conscience run this system on anything but a test virtual machine long-term.

-Noel

Hi NoelC!

Thank you so much for your comments!

I just think it is a shame that this is happening at all....!!

It makes me wonder if this is the end of Microsoft as a company that anyone in their right mind would trust....

I have been wading through the so called Privacy Agreement and Service Agreement and it doesn't make for light reading...

Like so many have said already....how many of us actually read such agreements...

I certainly will not be upgrading my computers and have already removed the annoying pop up...

I have a couple of programs that I have used on Windows for years and now I am looking for alternatives for Mac or Linux.... I have paid for Adobe CS6 which is getting on a bit now...but that is only a Windows version and now one can't buy the software from Adobe....another beef of mine....lol...

It remains to be seen how Microsoft are going to redeem themselves after this fiasco!!

Forgot to say...my computers with Windows 7 are all showing attempts at installing Windows 10 and I haven't even reserved the right to upgrade!!!!!!!!!

bookie32

On 10/09/2015 at 6:13 PM, bookie32 said:

It remains to be seen how Microsoft are going to redeem themselves after this fiasco!!

Unfortunately I don't think they'll ever consider anything they do a fiasco.  Even failing utterly in the mobile space and writing off Nokia doesn't seem to count as a failure.  It's simply considered a "tough choice in an area where things are not working".

Most folks' fallback at this point is to continue to run Windows 7 or 8.x.  Microsoft doesn't lose in that case.  It just defers the probably inevitable move they'll make to a newer Microsoft OS.

The kids in Microsoft could play around doing all sorts of silly things to Windows literally for years, and still not lose their shirts.  Such is the afterglow of developing good systems in the past and cornering almost all the computing market.  And the stock, well...  Doesn't ever seem to tank, even with the recent "correction"...

NoTanks.png

-Noel

On 10/09/2015 at 8:13 PM, NoelC said:

... Most folks' fallback at this point is to continue to run Windows 7 ...  It just defers the probably inevitable move they'll make to a newer Microsoft OS ...

Wrong. It's just deferring the most certainly inevitable move to a non-Microsoft OS.

On 10/09/2015 at 6:13 PM, bookie32 said:

It makes me wonder if this is the end of Microsoft as a company that anyone in their right mind would trust....

I have been wading through the so called Privacy Agreement and Service Agreement and it doesn't make for light reading...

Like so many have said already....how many of us actually read such agreements...

I certainly will not be upgrading my computers and have already removed the annoying pop up...

bookie32

Not that I agree with Microsoft's prying eyes, but doesn't Google do the same thing?  The only way we have all of the customized Android and iOS options (like regionalized search or customized apps) is specifically because of data gathering.  Ask most people to adopt a more secured user environment, and they'll kick and scream because they want the "always connected" convenience.

Microsoft may not last, and this may be the beginning of the end for them.  But they need to be seen by their shareholders as entering the mobile apps space.  They need to be seen as using information as a way to draw growing revenue.  So yes, Microsoft still needs a way to provide a way (for now) to run Explorer-based applications so you can still produce with them.  But that's not where the future is - for anyone!  Microsoft needs to chase the same space everyone else is?  Since corporations and PC tech types want to stick with more conventional desktop designs, where is the revenue growth in that?  There are no new ideas wanted here.  (in fact, I'm sure most of us would be happier if Microsoft just kept supplying security and driver updates to allow new hardware to just keep runing on Windows 7 in perpetuity.)

So Microsoft is catering to a market that embraces the idea of regularly turning things upside down.  These types don't embrace "if it ain't broke; don't fix it".  There's no adventure in that for them.

"We" don't.  I avoid Google in every way I can.

No new ideas?  I'd love to see ReFS supported for the boot partition; more sophisticated APIs in Win32 to facilitate the development of more powerful applications (note that I specifically didn't say Apps); actual advancements in things like font rendering, color management, and other things that never quite got finished.  If nothing else there was still room for a LOT of polish - the Windows 7 Aero desktop theme was good, but it was not supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  Many themers have since proven that.

To think that there's nothing more that could be improved on the "traditional" desktop or in the kernel seems a pretty narrow view.

Something I think is supremely ironic is that Visual Studio has made some real improvements lately in helping a software engineer keep track of unprecedented complexity.  What serious software are we supposed to use that on?  It doesn't take that kind of sophistication to develop an App.

Microsoft is failing in the mobile space.  They're killing Nokia, and while I wouldn't throw it away if someone gave me a Surface, in all honesty if I buy another tablet any time soon to replace our iPad it'll be a newer, bigger iPad.

-Noel

Hi guys!

I think there is more scope in the Linux kernel for growth and development!

I like the idea of Linux being developed by masses av individuals all over the planet and not just one corporation that go under the heading Microsoft!!!

What would really clinch this is the games developers could see further than the ends of their noses and develop games for the Linux kernel and then I am certain many would go over to Linux...

Yes, before any one says it...I know you can play windows games on Linux in Wine but that isn't quite the same as total support....

As long as games are demanding and demand powerful computers to run them - then the scope for Windows desktop development is still there...

I think the day is a long way off when Battefield 4 and games like it can be played on an ipad....and who in their right mind would want to do that anyway?

I still build games computers that are more and more powerful for my customers...The technology in them is fantastic!

**** the telephone market and its crap!

Get back to basics Microsoft and accept that it isn't going to work having one OS that works on all platforms if you are going to keep the PC users happy!

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

"We" don't.  I avoid Google in every way I can.

No new ideas?  I'd love to see ReFS supported for the boot partition; more sophisticated APIs in Win32 to facilitate the development of more powerful applications (note that I specifically didn't say Apps); actual advancements in things like font rendering, color management, and other things that never quite got finished.  If nothing else there was still room for a LOT of polish - the Windows 7 Aero desktop theme was good, but it was not supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  Many themers have since proven that.

To think that there's nothing more that could be improved on the "traditional" desktop or in the kernel seems a pretty narrow view.

-Noel

But how big of a chunk is "We" Noel? (by the way, please know I am not arguing with you or being hostile - just having a debate/discussion. :) ).  Is "We" a big enough market to stake your future on?  Will shareholders care?  As long as they get their return when promised.  If not, then "We" don't matter worth poop.

Do you think millions care for the file system improvement that were originally promised for Vista?  Or for prettier desktops (look how simple everything is becoming now - even the new Google logo is...lol)  And I know you think I'm being narrow minded.  I'm not.  I run Vista still, so I know all about pretty desktops, and I even like them.  I love good performance from my dual Xeon HP Workstation.

But again, I'm part of that "we" group you spoke of.  I do not typify an everyday person in 2015.  Last year I bought my last LP (and I never just bought vinyl bacause it was back in fashion.  I bought it throught the 90s and 2000s when it was NOT cool.  I cannot tell you much I was laughed at even in 1989 and 1990 for buying LPs and singles)

Take care Noel. :)