Windows 2000 and PTP, USB Composite devices

bearwindows

NOT what you asked, but some XP files do work on 98, so they might also be of use under 2K? :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143253-windows-98se-with-98se2me-and-a-recent-usb-composite-device/

Also (maybe useful, maybe not):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140051-digital-cameras-and-ptp-in-windows-2000/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

jaclaz is right! (of course!) :yes:

In particular, usbccgp.sys up to and including v. 5.1.2600.6437 (the latest) does work, provided some Win Me files are also present, and suffices for having some composite devices working. Try simply adding it to 2k, and see whether it makes any difference.

jaclaz is right! (of course!) :yes:

In particular, usbccgp.sys up to and including v. 5.1.2600.6437 (the latest) does work, provided some Win Me files are also present, and suffices for having some composite devices working. Try simply adding it to 2k, and see whether it makes any difference.

Good advice,  ;)  but note that Windows 2000, like 98, does not use USBCCGP.SYS natively like Windows XP and ME. In order to have it used under 2K some slight INF modding would be necessary. Compare the original 98SE/ME or 2K/XP USB.INF's for more info. Also there's this from Microsoft.

Maybe more helpful...

Also if I remember correctly (I've never dug into it, just read about it), there were actually 9x-compatible MTP drivers "provided" from Microsoft, but they were all left in a state requiring command line operation. No GUI was provided or any way to facilitate using the drivers with the existing GUI (EXPLORER, mounting devices, etc). So I imagine that at least this state exists for 2K as well, if not further developed. :unsure:

Edited by LoneCrusader

I've made inf-file for USB Composite devices under Windows 2000 environment:

[Version]signature="$CHICAGO$"Class=USBClassGUID={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}Provider=%Msft%LayoutFile=LAYOUT.INFDriverVer=07/01/2001,5.1.2600.0[ControlFlags]ExcludeFromSelect = *[DestinationDirs]DefaultDestDir=11               ; LDID_SYSCommonClassParent.CopyFiles = 10, system32\drivers[Manufacturer]%Microsoft.Mfg%=Microsoft.Section[Generic.Section]%USB\COMPOSITE.DeviceDesc%=Composite.Dev,USB\COMPOSITE[Composite.Dev]AddReg=CommonClassParent.AddRegCopyFiles=CommonClassParent.CopyFiles[Composite.Dev.NT]CopyFiles=CommonClassParent.CopyFilesDelReg=Composite.DelReg.NT[Composite.DelReg.NT]HKR,,EnumPropPages32[Composite.Dev.NT.Services]AddService = usbccgp, 0x00000002, CommonClassParent.AddService[CommonClassParent.AddService]DisplayName    = %GenericParent.SvcDesc%ServiceType    = 1                  ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVERStartType      = 3                  ; SERVICE_DEMAND_STARTErrorControl   = 1                  ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMALServiceBinary  = %12%\usbccgp.sysLoadOrderGroup = Base[CommonClassParent.AddReg]HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERNHKR,,NTMPDriver,,usbccgp.sys[CommonClassParent.CopyFiles]usbccgp.sys[Strings]Msft="Microsoft"GenericParent.SvcDesc="Microsoft USB Generic Parent Driver"USB\COMPOSITE.DeviceDesc="USB Composite Device"

Place file with text below (f.e. usbccgp.inf) in \WINNT\INF directory

Place usbccgp.sys file in \WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS directory