Cannot Access the Big A!

HoppaLong

(I think this post belongs under General Discussion. If it doesn't you can move it or

delete it.)

I placed an order through Amazon about ten days ago. Everything went smoothly.

The last couple of days something is wrong. The Amazon homepage loads sporadically

or not at all. If I wait and wait a "timeout" page appears.

Can you imagine the capacity of Amazon's mega-giant server farms? They must be

more than ready to handle the surge of visitors to their site for holiday shopping.

I have four browsers. They all have the same problem accessing Amazon.

A few minutes ago I googled "amazon site down." There are 310,000,000 listings about

problems with the Amazon site! Look at the first one on the list from downdetector.com.

Honestly, I'm completely dumbfounded. Until now, I've never had any trouble with the

Amazon website.

Edited by HoppaLong

I was having that problem on Black Friday weekend in November. It was very slow ... it wasn't Cyber Monday but I just figured people were hitting Amazon very hard that whole weekend but I also noticed some other non-shopping sites seemed to be slow.

That was when I was after the 32 gb $6.99 flash drives that I posted about earlier. I've never noticed that before. I did read that "online shopping" was greater this year ... I don't know.

Just my observation ...

Here are two sites that are good for checking the status of a web site ...

Is It Down Right Now

"Is It Down Right Now" monitors the status of your favorite web sites and checks whether they are down or not. Check a website status easily by using the below test tool. Just enter the url and a fresh site status test will be performed on the domain name in real time using our online website checker tool. For detailed information, check response time graph and user comments.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

or

Websitedown Info

Is this website down for everyone or just me?

Is it down or just me? Online website down status checker tool to test any site's reachability in real-time. To perform an is it down query, simply enter the domain name or copy and paste the URL address of the unavailable website and see if it is down or not for other users right now.

http://www.websitedown.info/

Edited by monroe

I cannot wrap my brain around Amazon not having enough server capacity. That's impossible!

Peform a quick search about the dollar value of Amazon as a corporation. Like all huge
corporations, their dollar value is difficult to calculate. They own or are involved with
thousands of smaller businesses.

How could the Amazon site slow down or stop working completely? Amazon is drowning
in cash. Why wouldn't they always have more than enough server capacity?

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot wrap my brain around Amazon not having enough server capacity. That's impossible!

Peform a quick search about the dollar value of Amazon as a corporation. Like all huge

corporations, their dollar value is difficult to calculate. They own or are involved with

thousands of smaller businesses.

How could the Amazon site slow down or stop working completely? Amazon is drowning

in cash. Why wouldn't they always have more than enough server capacity?

Call me cynical, but maybe it's an advertising gimmick. :sneaky: So that news reports about a certain sale or item being offered in their catalog (like, say, a new book by J.K. Rowling or the latest Star Wars on Blu-Ray), can say that "demand was so high for <item/sale> that Amazon's servers crashed." :dubbio: