Now That Windows 8 Classic Support Is Ending Soon ...

Jody Thornton

^^ Not, at this point it's not certain that it will work. All we have right now is a promising-sounding method from ComputerNerd (post #53 upthread), but this needs to be verified in practice.

That was ComputerNerd's first (and so far only) post on MSFN, so we have yet to see if he (she?) will be back here, and how often.

--JorgeA

True, this is something that would need to be tested to ensure the updates from Server 2012 released February 2016 patch Tuesday and later months will all work on original Windows 8. As I said before, I emphasized that there is hope (in other words, just speculation). I would recommend testing (in virtual machine or a physical machine that isn't critical) on a clean original Windows 8 install, fully updated up to all January 2016, then patch with Server 2012 updates on the first patch Tuesday on February 9th, 2016 where original Windows 8 patches will be absent. If doing the testing on a main machine with Windows 8, I recommend backing up anything before you proceed.

The patches I would watch out for and possibly avoid are the ones designed to fix issues only related to server components. It wouldn't be ideal to break the OS that fixes functionality issues that aren't existent in the workstation counterpart. Security related updates that fix discovered kernel exploits and .NET security updates should be helpful and shouldn't break. Internet Explorer 10 security updates should have no issues either. Backing up before each patch Tuesday is practical since it's unofficially supported and things have potential to break.

I mean both Windows 8 and Server 2012 are the same codebase, run NT 6.2 kernel (Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 are NT 6.3). It's just nice knowing that Windows Server 2012 will still be supported all the way until January 2023 and that the server counterparts were treated as separate paid products (as I said in my previous post) unlike the Windows 8 and 8.1 workstation counterparts where the support model itself is treated differently like service packs.

Again, hope this is helpful.  :yes:  Even with a little convenience given up, you can possibly still patch original Windows 8 x64 (Windows Server OS's stopped being x86 since Windows Server 2008 R2).

^Again, hope this is helpful.  :yes:  Even with a little convenience given up, you can possibly still patch original Windows 8 x64 (Windows Server OS's stopped being x86 since Windows Server 2008 R2).

I think what'll do is try this after creating a restore point.  I can always undo it after that.  Additionally, I will boot up into a Linux live CD and create a backup of Windows system folders (while they're not in a locked or in use state, and that way I can just move it back if I need to.)  I'll keep you posted with what I find out.

I was hoping that a similar development arises for Vista after April 2017, using Server 2008 updates.  Again, we'll see.

:)

^I mean both Windows 8 and Server 2012 are the same codebase, run NT 6.2 kernel (Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 are NT 6.3). It's just nice knowing that Windows Server 2012 will still be supported all the way until January 2023 and that the server counterparts were treated as separate paid products (as I said in my previous post) unlike the Windows 8 and 8.1 workstation counterparts where the support model itself is treated differently like service packs.

Yeppers, I am quite aware of all of that.  But thank you.  I just didn't want you to think that was lost on me, especially since I had already considered a similar situation with Server 2008 "classic" and Vista, and also with Server 2003 and XP x64.  In the latter case, many updates were able to be used directly.

I was hoping that a similar development arises for Vista after April 2017, using Server 2008 updates.  Again, we'll see.

I'll be delighted if that, too, turns out to be the case -- one look over to the left, below my MSFN join date, will confirm it! :yes:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Again, hope this is helpful.  :yes:  Even with a little convenience given up, you can possibly still patch original Windows 8 x64 (Windows Server OS's stopped being x86 since Windows Server 2008 R2).

It sure is helpful -- thanks!  :thumbup

--JorgeA

I'll be delighted if that, too, turns out to be the case -- one look over to the left, below my MSFN join date, will confirm it! :yes:

--JorgeA

Ah I see!  Cool!