Now That Windows 8 Classic Support Is Ending Soon ...

Jody Thornton

If I may, it's an add-on to make Firefox (and Pale Moon) look like Internet Exploder 9: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxe9/

Now that is really cool. Every time I set up FF or PM on a new PC, I spend so much time trying to make it look like IE. Now I don't have to!

Thanks TELVM and JodyT. :thumbup

--JorgeA

• 2 weeks later...

Just a curiosity.  Hard to pin down info on it.

Will Windows Defender Updates continue to be available for Windows 8 users?  Also, being inspired by the POSReady hack, has anyone ported updates and patches from Server 2012 to Windows 8?

:)

Just a curiosity.  Hard to pin down info on it.

Will Windows Defender Updates continue to be available for Windows 8 users?  Also, being inspired by the POSReady hack, has anyone ported updates and patches from Server 2012 to Windows 8?

I haven't been able to find any info on this either. FWIW, Windows XP is still getting Defender updates; IIRC they're slated to stop this coming April (~ years since EOS).

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Hard to believe that for XP itself, that EOL was almost two years ago.  Time flies eh?

Not only that, surprisingly (if you believe all the MS FUD) the sky has not  fallen on our heads (yet ;)). 

jaclaz

Hard to believe that for XP itself, that EOL was almost two years ago.  Time flies eh?

Not only that, surprisingly (if you believe all the MS FUD) the sky has not  fallen on our heads (yet ;)). 

jaclaz

I'm at work using an XP box right now, so that is a testament to what you're saying.  Oddly enough, I'm sure we could do most of my job on a Windows 2000 machine.  We'd have to use Firefox 17, but that is still compatible enough I'd think.

Thanks Dencorso.  Of course the interesting thing will be is what happens to Windows Defender support as of next month.  I'm hoping I'll still get updates, but we'll have to see.  It's funny.  Vista would have continued receiving updates for another year and a bit, but Windows 8 is already running snappier (after an upgrade installation even)

There is some hope about security updates on the original Windows 8 past January 2016. You can download Windows Server 2012 (nonR2) updates from WSUS Offline Update which you can get free here: http://download.wsusoffline.net/ or you can manually download and install each Windows Server 2012 update from Microsoft's website.

Windows Server 2012 is supported the same lifecycle as Windows Server 2012 R2 and will be until January 2023. Windows Server 2012 is based on the codebase of original Windows 8. Windows Server 2012 R2 is based on Windows 8.1 codebase respectively.

While Microsoft decided with workstation OS Windows 8, they treated 8.1 as the update for it like a service pack that can be had for free. Microsoft made Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 separate paid products, despite the same respective codebases for the workstation OS counterparts. Windows Server 2012 customers can't get Server 2012 R2 for free, they would have to pay. Thought I'd explain the helpful reasoning that Windows Server 2012 (nonR2 version) still gets the updates and original Windows 8 won't much longer.

Windows Server 2012 lifecycle info: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows%20server%202012&Filter=FilterNO

Hopefully that info will help you enjoy your original Windows 8 with security updates until January 2023 with semi-official support :thumbup

Edited by ComputerNerd

jaclaz

Yeah, where are all the online articles about the millions of XP holdouts who are now getting their PCs infected and hacked?  :whistle:

--JorgeA

...Thought I'd explain the helpful reasoning that Windows Server 2012 (nonR2 version) still gets the updates and original Windows 8 won't much longer.

You did explain -- and very well, thank you!  :thumbup

At first I thought you were talking about updates for Windows Defender, but what you report sounds even better for those who'd rather stay on Win8 than move to 8.1 or 10.

It'll be interesting to find out if the method does work... and if so, then for how long they let it work.  :)

--JorgeA

So we know for certain that Server 2012 updates DO WORK on Windows 8, even as of now?  Or is that speculation?  I'm at work right now, so I am unable to try ... lol

ComputerNerd and JorgeA.  I just wanted to bump this to get an answer.  It sounds as if you knew for a fact this was presently workable.

^^ Not, at this point it's not certain that it will work. All we have right now is a promising-sounding method from ComputerNerd (post #53 upthread), but this needs to be verified in practice.

That was ComputerNerd's first (and so far only) post on MSFN, so we have yet to see if he (she?) will be back here, and how often.

--JorgeA